Join CTC or just buy an insurance policy off the web?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited June 2011 in Road beginners
I went to the CTC Show at York Racecourse yesterday and was pretty underwhelmed by it all. The organisation seems a good idea but might be a bit too "old" for me to want to get involved in their events etc.

Would you recommend it?

If the events are rubbish that leaves me with a magazine every 2 months and an insurance policy. Has anyone compared that with buying your own cover? I can get roadside recovery and £1 million 3rd party cover for £42 with Cycleguard, compared with £37.50 for CTC membership.

Comments

• Join a club then you can usually get British Cycling membership for 1/2 price.
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    I'm quite fond of the 15% discount you get at Cotswolds with the CTC membership
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rodgers73 wrote:
    I went to the CTC Show at York Racecourse yesterday and was pretty underwhelmed by it all. The organisation seems a good idea but might be a bit too "old" for me to want to get involved in their events etc.

Eh? Don't like a well organised Sportive with a good, well signposted route and good food? No pleasing some people :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rodgers73 wrote:
    I

I can get roadside recovery and £1 million 3rd party cover for £42 with Cycleguard, compared with £37.50 for CTC membership.

quotes from both companies were around £150 on a £1300 bike, i got the same level of cover minus the recovery from my house insurance for an extra £15 on the premium
    To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid......

95kg to 87kg and dropping......

Gary Fisher - Tassajara
    Trek - 2.3
  • rodgers73
    Rolf F wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:

Eh? Don't like a well organised Sportive with a good, well signposted route and good food? No pleasing some people :lol:

It was a bike show, not a cycling event. Full of old crusties and maniacs on recumbents etc.
  • rolf_f
    rodgers73 wrote:
    It was a bike show, not a cycling event. Full of old crusties and maniacs on recumbents etc.

I was there - and did the sportive. The show was OK but what do you expect? There were a good number of trade stands, plenty to buy etc; I just had a quick look round after the ride, bought a winter buff (bargain at a tenner from the CTC stand - proper polartech jobbie) and had a nice pint of beer with a couple of blokes we'd met on the ride. I think there were other events organised through the day but I missed much being on the ride.

As for the attendance - there were people of all ages - I didn't notice many crusties at all; a lot of folk will have done the shorter rides the CTC organised (the Sportive was 100 and 150km and included Blakey Bank and Rosedale Chimney - but if those are too crusty for you...... :wink: ).
  • rodgers73
    I'm not slagging off CTC - it just didn't feel like my thing based on what I saw. If it's your thing, thats fine by me. No offense meant.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    A lot of people join the CTC not just for the 3rd party liability cover and legal help but also as they're about the most influential voice in UK cycling and are frequently championing the cause of cyclists.
  • rodgers73
    That's good of CTC. I'm really looking for more material benefits though - hence the initial question.
  • rolf_f
    rodgers73 wrote:
    I'm not slagging off CTC - it just didn't feel like my thing based on what I saw. If it's your thing, thats fine by me. No offense meant.

It just doesn't look like you saw all there was to see and do! TBH, I wouldn't join it for shows like that - mainly as per what nferrer said plus a healthy discount on the Sportives.
  • rodgers73
    What do you reckon to the sportives they organise? Are they are members only or does membership only get you a discount?
  • rolf_f
    rodgers73 wrote:
    What do you reckon to the sportives they organise? Are they are members only or does membership only get you a discount?

Hard to fault - perhaps a bit expensive without membership but good value with (£27 for non members, £17 members for this weekends). I've done the Ron Kitching on Saturday which was good though would be better with more riders (I think it is the first year it has been run). I did the Phil Liggett last year which was excellent despite cack weather at times. A brilliant route, well attended and with a good atmosphere.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    The CTC'S insurers sold my accident information to some ambulance chasers (topical). Also they will not promote the use of cycle helmets, in fact when you see pictures of there officers in the Cycle Magazine you could be excused for thinking they try not to wear cycle helmets.
    ps. I am against compulsory use of helmets but for the promotion of their use.
    I am a member of a club and British Cycling.
  • rodgers73
    My house insurance covers me for up to £2m public liability and also has legal expenses cover. I'm thinking of joining CTC anyway as the sportives sounded ok.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    The CTC...will not promote the use of cycle helmets, in fact when you see pictures of there officers in the Cycle Magazine you could be excused for thinking they try not to wear cycle helmets.
    ps. I am against compulsory use of helmets but for the promotion of their use.
    I am a member of a club and British Cycling.

+1

May switch to another insurer in future, the magazine you get is carp as well, full of old f&rts trying to be trendy by riding MTBs :roll:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    I have never attended any of their shows or done one of their rides, but have been a member for years as I like their campaigning on behalf of cyclists, and I like the magazine as well, not just full of adds and articles on new flash equipment like some ones. I also agree with their stance on helmets and I assume the pictures they show are how those people normally cycle (helmets or not).