Oakley's advert

bluechair84
bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
You have an Oakleys advert from time to time at the top of the page. I assume it activates when you cross over it, it originates from the BR.com logo. It spreads an invisible footprint across the top of the page blocking the tabs. You can't click them until you close the Oakleys ad even though the visible image does not spread over the tabs.
It's quite irritating and forces you to interact with the advert before you can navigate the website.
As you guys seemed to react to the t-mobile ads you're probably interested in this one too.

Comments

• explosifpete
    explosifpete Posts: 1,327
    Very irritating
  • Paul RS
    Paul RS Posts: 107
    Getting on my flippin nerves..
    165 Posts: 35
    put me off getting Oakleys!
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,826
    Yup I also have this problem, need to refresh the page ggrrrr.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    doing my head in too!
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,826
    Really starting to do my f**king head in now!!!
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    Perfect example of building brand hatred. Numpty Oakley designer should be shot.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Bike Radar one does it as well I think, and the Oakley one is back. Really really irritating.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    You can close the ad (which helps pay for the site) with the X in the top left corner.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • dindondan
    dindondan Posts: 11
    Remove this most annoying of adverts its making me go elsewhere for my cycling info!
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Edit... well the site doesn't like me talking about ways to prevent ads bothering you using browser plug-ins, so go do some Googling or just put up with them.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    GET RID OF IT!!!!!
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • option_click
    option_click Posts: 169
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    You can close the ad (which helps pay for the site) with the X in the top left corner.

Being able to close it isn't the issue (its a requirement of building the things anyway)- it's an intrusive overlay ad that gets in the way and stops people from navigating into the site.

Ads are fine (although I'm totally blind to them) to help run the site, but not when they actively block the browsing experience.
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    Jeff Jones wrote:

That's true, but why as a user should I be expected to do this?

Did a 'suit' tell you this would be a good idea? :P

It creates a bad user experience and will detract from what is normally a great site... :)
    Mens agitat molem
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    +1 absolutely terrible advert, an invisible overlay to almost trick the user into clicking it, not unlike some malware ads I must point out. Google seem to manage fine with unobtrusive ads so the 'just close it' argument seems weak.
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    +1 pain in the arse, first time it popped up I had already scrolled down to read the news so though the site had crashed, took a while before I scrolled back up & realized it was the ad preventing me from clicking on anything :x
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Looks like they don't care as long as its making them money short term.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Make's me loathe Oakley even more - if you think this improves the user experience, you're too stupid to run a website.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..