Routes/riding in the Dordogne?

bigpikle
bigpikle Posts: 1,690
I'm heading down with the family to the Dordogne in mid Aug for 2 weeks, and want//need to get some miles in as I'm riding the Raid Pyrenean only a couple of weeks after we get back... 8)

Its not an area I've ever been to before so am looking for some info on what its like for riding, or perhaps where its good to ride? We'll be staying near Souillac on the eastern edge of the area from what I can see. My plan is lots of shorter training rides rather than all-day expeditions, as the family dont ride, but what should I expect round there, except the heat!?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Your Past is Not Your Potential...

Comments

• rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    Last year I camped below Domme, downriver from you. With this being an area having a massive influx of tourists, I was wary about how busy it might be compared to where else we'd been been in in France.

Some of the roads (those between tourist draws) can get pretty busy, while the backroads can still be all but deserted. Since most tourists don't hit the road until 10 or 11, early on tends to be empty everywhere. So I did my hard rides first thing: empty everywhere, cool temp, and left the rest of the day free for other stuff or leisurely riding.

For routes, I just used the Dordogne Yellow Michelin map we had for an idea of where to go.

Best bit there wasn't quite the cycling, it was rubber-ringing it down a fast flowing stretch of the Dordogne! Top fun. A great destination.
  • Legshaver
    Legshaver Posts: 75
    I've just come back from Rocamadour, which is about 12 miles to the south east of Souillac. The countryside is excellent with hardly any traffic at all, and the drivers are so well behaved. There are some quite good climbs around if you look for them. As always with a river there are flat valleys and steep sides in places. Rocamadour is a must see place if you go to the Dordogne, and you will certainly enjoy a climb or two!

You can see a lot of the area by looking at Google maps and street viewing some of the roads.

Have fun.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    I'm out in that general area in just over a week and will be there for the summer. South of the Dordogne river in the département du Lot (46). Some lovely riding and very easy to get away from the tourist throng. Here's a favourite ride of mine... goes down into the lovely valley of the Cele.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/36872136
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • bigpikle
    thanks everyone - really appreciate it.

Googled a few pictures and it looks proper hilly in places as well, so hope my compact and 27t will be enough!

Dordogne was a bit of a random selection without any real knowledge of what was there and the more I read the more I think we've struck very lucky :lol:
  • dabber
    A further thought. If you want even the main(ish) roads to be empty of traffic try riding between 12:00 and 14:00 whilst the French are having their 2 hour lunches.

However, the temperature might be a bit hot :P In our village the temperature there was 36 degrees today. :shock:

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • bigpikle
    ouch - mind you it hit a horrible humid 30 degs in North Bucks at that time today as well and I was out riding!

In Bordeaux a few years back I used to run early every morning and avoid the worst of the heat, so hope to do the same thing again while the family sleep!
  • rdt
    Dabber wrote:
    I'm out in that general area in just over a week and will be there for the summer. South of the Dordogne river in the département du Lot (46). Some lovely riding and very easy to get away from the tourist throng. Here's a favourite ride of mine... goes down into the lovely valley of the Cele.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/36872136

There're few places nicer then the Dordogne, but the Lot may well be one of them. Lucky old you :D
  • dabber
    rdt wrote:

There're few places nicer then the Dordogne, but the Lot may well be one of them. Lucky old you :D

Thanks rdt. You're right. The Dordogne gets the publicity but the Lot is beautiful and less touristy.

We've got a house in a lovely little village. Our French neighbours are great. Helpful, kind and friendly. We get by with our French.. some of our neighbours speak some English, others don't. As long as they know are trying all is good. There's lots going on (just simple, uncomplicated picnics, fetes etc). The views are terrific.

I go riding with one of our French neighbours who comes down from Lille. I've met up with other French riders whilst out on the road and they've all been great (although probably a bit fitter than me).

Wherever I ride from the house I've got quiet roads, respectful traffic, beautiful views... and some decent climbs if I choose to do them.

Oh, and there's a good blues festival in Cahors in a couple of weeks time followed by a great motorcycle trial at the end of August... Dougie Lampkin, Toni Bou, Albert Cabestany, Adam Raga in previous years... all for free.

Can't wait until next week to get back there.

• rdt
    Last year we travelled from the Upper Lot at St-Come d'Olt to Fumel, via Conques, Figeac, St-Cirq-Lapopie and Cahors. Not quite sure why we're not going back there this year, but other parts are calling! Enjoy your rides, Dabber.