Asking for trouble?

graham.
graham. Posts: 862
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Derby city centre has had a bit of a revamp, with added cycle lanes marked out.
There are a few instances where the cycle lanes go against the flow of other traffic.
I can just imagine this in the 5.30 pm rush hour on a wet November evening!
Anyone any experience of this kind of thing?

5878142984_bb1beede37.jpg

5878142764_acde05f757.jpg

Graham.

Comments

• rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Looks grim but if the corner is wide open i.e drivers (and bikes) can see well beyond the corner as they approach. It shoudl eb fine? It certainly isn't a place where you'd want to be doing 20mph+ though!
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    Used to live up there, which bit is that Graham?
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • graham.
    Hi.
    That truck has just come down The Wardwick past the library, and is turning onto Cheapside passed the big church.
    Graham.
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    Ah yes..I was up there not long ago and noticed lots of changes thanks to the ring road etc..Especially the bit up by Eden Gardens restaurant now being two way traffic!
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    Hmm had a guy using the contra-flow bike lane at Aldgate East tonight. Except the lane only existed in his head...

Was clearly not a European tourist, just a local crazy...
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Similar has been painted on a few roads in the centre of Bristol. All contraflow, not something I'd contemplate but I'm confident enough to play with traffic going the same way as myself. Might get the camera out during delivery rush hour and see how unblocked the lanes are.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • graham.
    I expect it's just a case of the council having "Targets" to meet. They seem to have been slapping them anywhere and everywhere.
    Graham.
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    There's one is used to ride down in Birmingham. Problem is people don't expect bikes to be coming the wrong way down a one way road so just step out without looking. Had a few hairy moments on it with pedestrians and actually hit a car that pulled straight out without looking. Use with caution.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    A section of SC3 has this and it doesn't seem to be a problem, but then again it is relatively quiet around there with regards to traffic.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I had to orientate myself there. Wasn't there a contra-flow cycle lane down Cheapside anyway?

All that it looks like they've done is remove the bollards from The Wardwick and moved the traffic across a bit.

There's no actual EXTRA cycle lanes on that stretch, but if they've allowed you to cycle into the City Centre along Friar Gate I'd be happy :)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Mmmm pizza.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Contraflow cycle lanes should be separated by a bit of kerb, otherwise it is definatley asking for trouble.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    Indeed. Kerbs or bollards should be used to ensure nobody cuts the corner (which they do all the time).
  • hoolio
    hoolio Posts: 139
    There's a one way road near me that is signed one way "Except bikes" and then has a signage indicating bikes are two way.
    Undoubtably it'll be a while before everyone's used to it, but once drivers expect cyclists the wrong way on one way streets I think it'll be a good thing.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I don't see too much wrong with that. Except the driver crossing the white line on a mandatory cycle lane. I trust you sent the picutre to Derby CIty Council? It should be easy enough for them to ID the driver.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    Sketchley wrote:
    I don't see too much wrong with that. Except the driver crossing the white line on a mandatory cycle lane. I trust you sent the picutre to Derby CIty Council? It should be easy enough for them to ID the driver.

totally didn't think of it that way but yes - definitely do that.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    You'll need to speak to Richard Kniveton: Richard.Kniveton@derby.gov.uk he's the Fleet Manager for the Council.

Nice chap - shouts at the drivers a lot. :D

(the company I work for had the DCC IT support contract for 10 years)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • dancook
    dancook Posts: 279
    Often you see cars parked over cycle lanes, but in this instance - if that occurred, the cyclist would have to cycle into oncoming traffic to avoid obstructions.

Lets hope that never happens!
  • graham.
    When I first saw what the traffic planers and their guide dogs had in mind I thought "That's going to be fun". So I went to get a pic, hopefully with a bike and motor vehicle in it. So it's not really my intention to report the driver who clipped the white line in my presence (Though I'm sure Keiran's contact will prove useful in the future, so thanks for that.).
    Yes, that stretch of road has been one way for motors, and the other for bikes for quite a while, but they were quite well seperated before.
    There's another bit on St Helen's St (By Radio Derby, if you know it.) where it's one way for motor traffic up hill, with parking allowed on alternate sides of the road , to create that "chicane" type traffic calming effect. Now drivers there really are'nt going to expect to meet a cyclist heading towards them!

5883587242_62b2763e16.jpg

If the oncoming traffic don't get ya, the pot hole will!
    Graham. :twisted:
  • mossychops
    mossychops Posts: 262
    I can think of at least 1 in Birmingham, I think it's not a bad idea really because some one way systems take you so far round that a lot of cyclists would (wrongly) just cycle the wrong way down the street, it does have kerbstones at junctions but on a straight road like this the biggest danger is pedestrians stepping out without looking both way or listening for traffic. Quite a hill too so easy to go fast.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=52.443 ... 24,,0,8.07
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    redvee wrote:
    Similar has been painted on a few roads in the centre of Bristol. All contraflow, not something I'd contemplate but I'm confident enough to play with traffic going the same way as myself. Might get the camera out during delivery rush hour and see how unblocked the lanes are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvoiFt-l8yA

Spot the one or two hazards!
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • graham.
    Brilliant! Looks like one of those Public Service films that used to be on.
    Graham. :lol: