Is it worth paying extra for the next model up?

Scrappaman
Scrappaman Posts: 58
edited June 2011 in Commuting general
Hi All,

Having read through the various road-bike-enthusiastic posts extolling the virtues of drop-bars, I have decided to take the plunge.

I am not the most technically minded bike-wise and would appreciate it if anyone could clarify the difference between a couple of bikes for me, and whether or not the differences justify the money.

I like two models of the Specialized Secteur; the standard Secteur and the Secteur sport.

The immediate differences that I notice are that the standard model has Shimano 2300 front and rear and the Sport has Sora front and Tiagra rear. Can anyone tell me - can £150 be justified for these changes in components?

If anyone has sufficient enthusiasm to look at both bikes in more detail then great, here are a couple of links:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... %20secteur

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... %20secteur

Thanks for all advice!

Comments

• topperuk
    topperuk Posts: 3
    The next model up will be smoother shifting but sadly still comes with Sora shifters rather than Tiagra. I tested the secteur and the allez then tested bikes by other manufacturers - I'd just go and try them all out and try and give yourself 30mins on each to get a proper feeling for them.. But i'm so pleased I ended up with a bike with Tiagra shifters rather than the Sora and IMHO the 2300's weren't great - paticularly after riding a bike kitted out with Tiagra!

Only you can answer the question about whether it's worth the extra - depending on your expectations and the amount of mileage you plan on riding.

Hope this helps in some small way...
    GT GTR Series 3
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    Buy the best you can afford (within reason)

If you cycle regularly and intend to keep cycling regularly then better shifters and components will make it far more enjoyable.

Tiagra and 105 offer the best bang for buck in my opinion, though having tried both I couldn't detect a difference in performance and settled for Tiagra instead - there is a big jump in price between Tiagra and 105.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    get a ribble for less than the secteur and better everything
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Scrappaman
    Thanks for the replies guys, they each provide me with some really useful information.

I am having some trouble getting a test ride on them as the bike shops in my area (Kent) just seem to say 'we'll order one in your size and when you come to buy it you can test it', which makes things a bit more complicated as I will buy via cycle2work scheme.

Thanks again for the input - I appreciate it.
  • Scrappaman
    Thanks for the replies guys, they each provide me with some really useful information.

I am having some trouble getting a test ride on them as the bike shops in my area (Kent) just seem to say 'we'll order one in your size and when you come to buy it you can test it', which makes things a bit more complicated as I will buy via cycle2work scheme.

• topperuk
    topperuk Posts: 3
    I know we all try and support our LBS, but Evans will order you any bike into a store for you to test ride. There really is not substitute for trying them out I'm afraid... Think you have to pay a deposit but they refund it if you don't buy or take it off the price if you do buy? Someone correct me if i'm wrong!!
    GT GTR Series 3
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    Try another bike shop! I bought my road bike from a local bike shop and he got a demo bike in from the manufacturer, spent 15 minutes fitting me to the bike (including swapping the stem) before sending me out on a 17 mile test ride. Only then did I make the decision to buy...

_
  • Scrappaman wrote:

Is the Evans at Gatwick too far? I'd really recommend trying a few out before you part with your money.

The main difference I noticed between Tiagra and 105 was the brakes - the 105 brakes felt a lot more powerful.
    My commute:
    commute.jpg
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I've got 3 bikes, 1 with Sora shifters and Tiagra/Sora mixed mechs, a Ribble with a full Tiagra group and a Focus with all 105.

The jump from Sora to Tiagra is noticeable, the shifting is smoother, lighter and more precise, the jump from Tiagra to 105 is less noticeable. However as someone has pointed out, the accuracy and lightness in shifting is largely down to the shifter/brifters themselves rather than the mechs, so I'm not sure whether a trade up to Tiagra rear mech (or whatever it is on those bikes) would be worth £150 as the more expensive bike still has Sora shifters. Also Sora shifters have the "downshift" in a different place to Tiagra which some people do not like...

Overall if I were buying a road bike at that price I would go for a Ribble special edition audax or 7005 race frame. See Ribble website. Full Tiagra groupset, Pro Lite Como wheels and carbon forks for less than £600. Ribble are a bit shaky on customer service but their bikes are brilliant value.

Also consider the security risk in leaving a £770 bike out in the open.... If you have somewhere secure to lock it at all times then fine, but thieves will tend to target more valuable bikes...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    The derailleur is a pointless "upgrade".
    For the upgrade to be worthwhile you need the tiagra shifters, they are significantly better.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    I contacted Ribble and he basically said a audax with 105. I asked what about the other bits as I have no idea. Got a short one liner about Askium wheels and the rest whatever comes up by default. Didn't like their customer support attitude but the value of the bikes is worth a lot and I know someone with a ribble audax from about 6 years ago and its great. Also seen a new one with 105 throughout and its cool.

IF you have to go with mixed mechs then IMHO tiagra front and 105 rear is good but sora/tiagra is not. Tiagra shifters are the minimum. I got told that as long as its got the tiagra shifters or better then it is less important as to the mech (Tiagra or Tiagra/105 front/rear mix). In my ignorance I have no reason to doubt them. Afterall I'm currently using a road bike with downtube shifters and 300 exage motion shimano groupset!! Well it is a 20 year old bike I'm riding.

(Nearly said 20 year old lady I'm riding but that sounded wrong somehow. Are bikes like cars in that they are female? You know, people talk about their pride and joy cars withthe word "she's" this or that like its their other half (or if married their mistress). Are bikes female like cars? Sorry off topic).