Removing wet lube!

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Afraid this thread might disappoint, somebody brushed past my bike and picked up a dose of Finish Line Wet Lube to their clothing.

What can I recommend they use to remove this?

Said garment is also white. :evil:

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Vanish Bar rub it until it comes out then wash with Vanish powder and normal washing powder. Worked a treat on my top the other day. Do it as soon as possible and before it's washed for the first time as the stain may set.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    is this person a hobbit?! how did they manage to rub them selves on your chain?!?!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    mudcow007 wrote:
    is this person a hobbit?! how did they manage to rub them selves on your chain?!?!

Cafewanda?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Tide stain remeoval 'pens' are brilliant at getting almost anything out - shame you can only buy them in the US!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iPete wrote:
    Afraid this thread might disappoint, somebody brushed past my bike and picked up a dose of Finish Line Wet Lube to their clothing.

I have a cream carpet and Muck-off has worked well on removing wet chain lube followed by hot water about 5 minutes later
  • Tide stain remeoval 'pens' are brilliant at getting almost anything out - shame you can only buy them in the US!

Simon

I have enjoyed lurking on these forums for a few months, and this comment has forced me to register as a user just to reply.

As an official US citizen (living in VA, which is in the eastern part, about halfway down), I have had the most unpleasant pleasure of trying to use one of these brilliantly-advertised, shamefully-executed horrors of modern technology known as the "Tide-To-Go" pen!

It does not remove tomato sauce.

It does not remove bicycle grease.

It is excellent at rubbing the stain around so it appears more faded but tons larger.

And it smells most horrendous, like the innards of a poorly ventilated but frequently used men's room.

Better to have a dog lick the stain clean than try to use a "Tide-To-Go" pen, in my American experience.

That is all. Carry on!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Quality first post!
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • WD40. Seriously. I use it to get oil stains out of my cycling kit and it works - even when the stain has set.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
  • Stiff_Orange
    Stiff_Orange Posts: 218
    iPete wrote:

I think the official line is "Tough, that'll teach you to go anywhere near my bike again".
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Apply Swarfega and rub in thoroughly, then wash
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    edited June 2011
    gbsahne wrote:
    brake cleaner

Beat me to it. Brilliant at getting oil stains out. Comes in aerosols from places like Halfords. Better still that the item is white because I'd be slightly worried about colours (it seems to be almost pure solvent). Trick is to have some liquid detergent (Swarfega? Fairy Liquid?) on hand to lift everything out immediately in the washing machine before the solvent has had the chance to fully "flash" off.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • nigglenoo
    nigglenoo Posts: 177
    Try dabbing with a cloth soaked in white spirit, shifts virtually anything oily or greasey, then wash as normal. Alternatively try rubbing in some Swarfega and then washing at the highest temperature the garment can stand, with stain removing powder. Swarfega got beach tar off my white leather shoes* many years ago. Also washing up liquid used in the same way can work.
    *It was the 1980s :oops:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Finish Line's own degreaser ought to work too....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

Cafewanda?

In this case it is vital for all clothing to be removed immediately to prevent the stain from spreading. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I am very sorry. I will stop now.
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

Cafewanda?

In this case it is vital for all clothing to be removed immediately to prevent the stain from spreading. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I am very sorry. I will stop now.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Swarfega works on any oil-based contamination. Apply it dry, then wash with soap or detergent. it then forms an emulsion with water. When the contamination is wet, swarfega wont work.
    Its really good for bits of oily gunk that you trod into the carpet.
  • Said garment is also white. Evil or Very Mad

You're not supposed to cycle on the cricket pitch!

Ok, back to the subject... I've had some success with chain degreaser - I figured that if it can get my chain clean, it can get oil off just about anything.