Some of your favourite Scottish trails could be under threat

scottalej
scottalej Posts: 135
edited June 2011 in Routes
Under the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003, every local authority in Scotland is required ‘to draw up a plan for a system of paths (‘core paths’) sufficient for the purpose of giving the public reasonable access throughout their area’.

An example of a great trail due to be 'improved' (ie turned into a 7ft wide grey road if it's the same as Aberdeen council) is the Ciaran Path, MBRs favourite natural trail.
http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres ... Map_15.pdf

Find out what you're local council is up to before it's too late! Get involved in meetings if you represent a mtb group as no one else on these commitees will represent the requirements of mountain bikers!

We've already lost a great trail in the Aberdeen council area.
Orange Clockwork 2007
Orange 5 2007
Just bought 2008 P7 frame (Orange fan? Me!)
Cotic Soul
Pace RC303
Marin Mount Vision 2005, for sale
Stumpy HT 2006, shite, sold
Kona Lava Dome fully rigid

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    There is always a problem we want trails as nasty as possible and dont mind rocks, puddles, ruts and potholes. Unfortunately ramblers who are the majority of users want the equivalent of a tarmac road so they can wander along without risking there fancy trainers getting muddy or turning an ankle. A couple of my fave trails in the Pennines have been improved and turned into dull flat gravel roads. Luckily with the last couple of proper winters they are rapidly turning into a worse state than before the council started meddleing seems the old timers who built the trails with cobbles knew what they were doing
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • scottalej
    Blimey, is there anyone on this site? The same post on Singletrack has taken off! Some people have got the wrong end of the stick though. Never mind I think the basic message is getting across now. :)

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/t ... replies=41
    Orange Clockwork 2007
    Orange 5 2007
    Cotic Soul
    Pace RC303
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Er right.
    You are going to object to improving access? More people use these areas than just MTB's.
    Good luck.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • scottalej
    wrong end of the stick :)
    Orange Clockwork 2007
    Orange 5 2007
    Cotic Soul
    Pace RC303
  • Stiff_Orange
    Stiff_Orange Posts: 218
    scottalej wrote:
    We've already lost a great trail in the Aberdeen council area.

Can I suggest you buy a map of Scotland. Kinlochleven is on the West Coast and is under the Highland council. Aberdeen is on the extreme east coast.

Just because Aberdeen Council may have a set way of doing things, doesn't mean all councils do it the same way, Rather than a (Scottish) Daily Mail type of over-reaction why don't you find out what they are proposing to do first.
  • cooldad
    scottalej wrote:
    Then make it clearer.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • scottalej
    Orange Clockwork 2007
    Orange 5 2007
    Cotic Soul
    Pace RC303
  • scottalej
    The post was intended to get interest and get this message across.

'Find out what you're local council is up to before it's too late! Get involved in meetings if you represent a mtb group as no one else on these commitees will represent the requirements of mountain bikers!'

These paths are being planned across Scotland and may affect the trails you ride. Maybe there are already mtb representatives on your local committee but don't assume there are.
    Orange Clockwork 2007
    Orange 5 2007
    Cotic Soul
    Pace RC303
  • cooldad
    scottalej wrote:

Repetition and inane smileys really just want to make me say stuff you, so good luck.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    Unfortunately ramblers who are the majority of users want the equivalent of a tarmac road so they can wander along without risking there fancy trainers getting muddy or turning an ankle

I don't think that's true!

In fact as a keen walker, I am really angry that they have created gravel paths in the Peak District in some places, turning them into god-damn highways for no reason. Whereas previously they used to be naturally rocky paths.

Whoever, thinks this is a good idea - council, whoever - is just ruining the place.

Its okay to bolster up some sensitive paths with actual stone flags, like mam tor, but these gravel tracks are an ugly disgrace.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They're slowly turning Coed y Brenin into a wide gravel path too. Bloody disgrace.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    sfichele wrote:
    Unfortunately ramblers who are the majority of users want the equivalent of a tarmac road so they can wander along without risking there fancy trainers getting muddy or turning an ankle

I don't think that's true!

In fact as a keen walker, I am really angry that they have created gravel paths in the Peak District in some places, turning them into god-damn highways for no reason. Whereas previously they used to be naturally rocky paths.

Whoever, thinks this is a good idea - council, whoever - is just ruining the place.

Its okay to bolster up some sensitive paths with actual stone flags, like mam tor, but these gravel tracks are an ugly disgrace.

I did mean the sort of people who go for a waddle in the country, not keen walkers who dont seem to want any upgrading just like us MTBers
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap