New Kuota Kebel 2011 (changed for 2013)

glasgowbhoy
glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
edited March 2013 in Your road bikes
Discovered on my Kharma on Monday. :(

IMG2501-M.jpg

IMG2500-M.jpg

Have spent the week trying to sort out a warranty replacement with the Kuota distrubutor. and settled for a 2011 upgrade to a Kebel Frame and Fork at just over half retail price.

IMG2509-M.jpg

IMG2510-M.jpg

IMG2511-M.jpg

IMG2515-M.jpg

Beautiful looking frame and just finished building it up today and out on it tomorrow :D

Comments

• cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    And they all lived happily ever after? I don't know, ain't got a clue! :?
  • glasgowbhoy
    First run out on it today. Pissing down and windy in the hills North of Glasgow. The quality of our roads are terrible but the bike dealt with it well. 3 hours soaked right through but still had a smile on my face. Not sure if the frame is any 'better' than the Kharma but it is very responsive, stable and comfortable.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    So what caused the damage to the Kharma? Good to hear you had a nice ride today, shame about the weather! 28 down south today, bit hot really!!! :wink:
  • glasgowbhoy
    So what caused the damage to the Kharma? Good to hear you had a nice ride today, shame about the weather! 28 down south today, bit hot really!!! :wink:

The distributor seemed to think it was caused by an 'impact' and not a fault in the frame. I don't have any knowledge of the cable run area being hit off anything and there was no dent around the crack or the paint chip. I believe that 'impact' is a convenient way for them to get out of a warranty claim then palm you off with a 'crash replacement' frame at wholesale cost.
  • glasgowbhoy
    388 views and nobody else seems to like it :cry:
    :lol:
  • clu
    clu Posts: 89
    I think that you've got a great bike there, I've often looked at them myself on the eipc cycles website. Enjoy.

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/Kuota_Kebel.html
    2004 Trek 5500 OCLV
    2014 Cervelo R3 Black/Blue
    2018 Cervelo R3 Disc Navy/Red
    2018 Trek Domane SL 5 Disc Grey
    2020 Trek Domane SL 5 Disc Matte Navy
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    How old was your original frame? Doesn't look like a crash would cause the damage, unless you turned it upside down and dropped it on the saddle.

New bike looks sweet
  • trooperk
    trooperk Posts: 189
    388 views and nobody else seems to like it :cry:
    :lol:

Too many brand snob on here may be?
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Stunning bike, really very nice. Good work and one of the most under rated / missed frames out there. Enjoy !
  • glasgowbhoy
    Stunning bike, really very nice. Good work and one of the most under rated / missed frames out there. Enjoy !

Cheers Pete. After a couple of rides including tonight's chaingang I can confirm it really is super responsive and a joy to ride. It demands to be ridden all out!
  • maxlite
    maxlite Posts: 293
    Great bike, always loved Kuota's.....Cross bike is VERY nice
    Cervelo R5
    Cinelli Saetta
    Giant XTC
    Raleigh Classic
  • leeroy72
    leeroy72 Posts: 330
    I like it a lot mate, seems to be a few of these on the roads now.... 8)
    Find your limits...and then exceed them frequently
  • I see that Team UK Youth used the Kebel in the recent Halfords Series, they do look sweet, and personally I think they look much nicer than the Kharma.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    If you went through the UK importer (DH something from memory)- the bloke there is the most unhelpful person in the world. I tried to get a spare seatpost - he wouldn't supply (i was making purchase not a warrantly claim) until I gave him proof of purchase. When I got this to him - he then said he wouldn't be able to purchase a spare ! - the only way I could get one was to buy a complete frame,
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    kingrollo wrote:
    If you went through the UK importer (DH something from memory)- the bloke there is the most unhelpful person in the world. I tried to get a spare seatpost - he wouldn't supply (i was making purchase not a warrantly claim) until I gave him proof of purchase. When I got this to him - he then said he wouldn't be able to purchase a spare ! - the only way I could get one was to buy a complete frame,

+1 on the unhelpfulness. I asked them what torque was recommended for the seatpost clamp on a Kharma as I couldn;t find it anywhere and was told they couldn't say as it varied as the frame got older??? :shock:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • glasgowbhoy
    kingrollo wrote:

I emailed Kuota about the distributor but they just want to palm me back to the UK distributor who I do not want to deal with again. The LBS couldn't do very much and the guy that runs the distributor, who it seems you have had the misfotune of speaking to as well, has no customer service skills. Kuota are harming their brand in my opinion and would certianly not buy another bike from any of the brands this distribution company deals with.
  • fred22
    fred22 Posts: 509
    Thats a lovely new bike you came out with
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Very nice, always good to hear of a manufacturer looking after their customers :D
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Nice bike. How does it ride compared to the Kharma? I'm quite happy with my Kharma but if anything happened to it the Kebel looks interesting.

To Slow downcp on my 2011 Kharma the seat tube torque is written next to it. Its 6Nm max.

I have to say the seat post clamp is the one bit of the bike I'm not happy with. Tightening two bolts down on the edge of a carbon composite seatpost makes me nervous. I see the Kebel has a different arrangement.
  • glasgowbhoy
    twotyred wrote:
    Nice bike. How does it ride compared to the Kharma? I'm quite happy with my Kharma but if anything happened to it the Kebel looks interesting.

To Slow downcp on my 2011 Kharma the seat tube torque is written next to it. Its 6Nm max.

I have to say the seat post clamp is the one bit of the bike I'm not happy with. Tightening two bolts down on the edge of a carbon composite seatpost makes me nervous. I see the Kebel has a different arrangement.

The seat post clamp is just a single bolt but still fits on the edge of the seatpost. Not much different from the Kharma.

In terms of ride it definitely feels different from the Kharma. THe lower head tube give a more aggressive position, the top tube is about a 1cm longer than the Kharma in a size (L) both of which I like and power through the BB seems to transmit everything forward very well, almost effortlessly. All of which it should at near pro level technology and design.
  • twotyred
    Is the ride any bumpier than the Kharma?
  • Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    Nice looking bike. Any pics of the frame and forks it replaced? i.e full views.

Could the damage be related to the internal routing of the cable causing a weak point? Or just coincidence its in the same area?
  • yenrod
    yenrod Posts: 135
    Discovered on my Kharma on Monday. :(

IMG2501-M.jpg

IMG2500-M.jpg :D

This's why i ride a custom steel frame bought for 600 quid (made to my measurements/requirements) compared to 1000+ for a carbon THAT CRACKS !
    [;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
  • I am thinking about buying a kuota what sort of weight do they come up at .
    I think i prefer the kharma i've been on the Epic cycles web site they've some good deals
    But don't give any frame or total bike weights are they light?
  • glasgowbhoy
    Hi mate, it depends on what you are looking for from the bikes. The Kharma is heavier as it has a steel steerer i believe. The Kebel comes in at 1.1kg F&F. I've ridden both frames on 100 mile plus days, the Kebel on LA Marmotte last year, the Kharma is a bit more relaxed and the Kebel a bit more aggressive racing geometry. They both transfer power well although the Kebel has the bigger BB30. I'd be happy road racing on either frame but do really like the Kebel as my race bike. If cost was a deciding factor I'd probably go with the Kharma and upgrade to a better wheelset as that will really liven up the ride. Hopefully Epic will be better to deal with than the UK distributer should you have an issue with the Frame as i did last year.
    Happy shopping
  • Thanks for the info the kharma with upgrades does sound the best way to go
    now i just need to decide as i also like the Dolan Hercules se .
    Many thanks .
  • rjgr
    rjgr Posts: 52
    frostym73 wrote:
    Thanks for the info the kharma with upgrades does sound the best way to go
    now i just need to decide as i also like the Dolan Hercules se .
    Many thanks .

Going a bit oif topic ......

I can't comment on the Kuota, but I did ride a Dolan Hercules as a hire bike for a week in Spain and I was well impressed, benchmarking it against my usual summer ride of a Cervelo RS.
  • twotyred
    Frostym my Kharma with Fulcrum Racing 1 wheels and Ultegra comes in at 8kg including pedals. The frame deserves the best wheels you can afford.

If you want to use a BB30 bottom bracket the Kharma frame is BB30 compatible.
  • glasgowbhoy
    Got some new 50mm carbon clinchers, new bars and tape for racing on this year.

IMG3095-M.jpg

IMG3097-M.jpg

IMG3096-M.jpg

IMG3098-M.jpg
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Nice bike but the chain really should've been on the big chainring for the photo :D