IPad - Blackberry Playbook - Netbook - etc

spen666
spen666 Posts: 17,709
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
Thinking about getting something slightly more portable to replace my laptop for use when travelling with work or to visit my young lady etc.

Use will mainly be a bit of net surfing, checking my emails etc.

I do not play games on computers

would like portability and long battery life

Which recommendation would you make and why?
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

Comments

• king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    I'm also looking for a new device however I'd avoid the play book, no dedicated email client and the screen is quite small. We had one in work as a trial, very disappointing.

If your after a tablet go for Apple, I'm not a fan but the competitors can't compete at the moment in terms of content selection... The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 is good but limited on apps at the moment.

Netbooks... Samsung NC110 netbook, good battery well built and cheap. I'm leaning towards this at the moment.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Very happy with my iPad. The new HP TouchPad looks good (I work for HP though - so don't just take my word for it!!) - the big advantage is that it does support Flash...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    spen666 wrote:
    Use will mainly be a bit of net surfing, checking my emails etc.

Are you basing future needs on historic experience? I only ask because technology moves at a phenomenal rate that your possibilities are infinite.

I too used to do a bit of surfing and check my emails, but then bought a refurbed, older version iPad and discovered a whole new world. I particularly enjoy The Times/Sunday Times app (worth the sub IMHO) and iBooks. I very rarely leave home without my iPad.
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    I've just bought an iPad, it was bought primarily to control my Hi Fi, I didn't think I would be using it for much else. But it's brilliant (I'm not an Apple fanboy)

I use it to surf, check emails etc. What I like best is the ability to be instantly on. I can switch it on, check my emals and switch off within 30 secs.

And of course there are loads of other apps which are pretty good, the BBC iPlayer is great and I can connect it to a telly and watch just like normal TV instead of watching on a laptop.

Only downside is that you can't have different accounts like a PC. So if the Mrs wanted to check her email using a different adress it not much use. It's very much a one person device.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    My son has had the iPad for 8 or 9 months and we both think it's great. Battery life is great, not a single issue with anything, does exactly what it says on the tin. Lack of Flash is a very minor issue TBH. Fantastic device.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    I would get the iPad. You'll find that it has the most "tablet" friendly applications as it's been around two years now. Lots of accessories too.

You'll also find that the competition aren't much cheaper and in some cases more expensive.

I wouldn't go for a RIM device for many reasons, firstly they're going down, it's a company in crisis just like Nokia, secondly there's no email unless you have a Blackberry phone (RIM fudged it as their network services can't cope with two clients using the same account DOH!). Lastly, O2 said they wouldn't be selling it due to it not offering a good user experience, that's pretty damning to say the least.

There's probably an Android tablet that would suit you, but which one? there's so many and the price just isn't significantly lower unless you want a really cheap and nasty tablet from Advent.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    iPad or Android, both will be fine.
    RIM is dying so I'd discount the Playbook.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Tablets are the future but at the moment you get so much more bang for your buck with a netbook. Bought one for £120 recently from Currys ebay site. Installed OpenOffice for free. Get about 6 hours from battery. Perfect for surfing and emails. Loads of disk space.

In 2 years time tablets will be a bit cheaper and a lot better.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    You see, I on the other hand am going for a Playbook. Nice multi-tasking envronment, flash, andriod compatible and secure email/calendar. Sure the screen is a bit smaller but then who wants something to lug around when its called a notepad?

To be fair, I'm a Blackberry person anyway. Love my berry (9780) and the idea of something that is just a bit bigger for surfing and emails, especially as I get older & my eyesight fades, really appeals. As more Apps come out, I shall surely use them but another key amongst my uses is for spreadhsheets on the go. We also have a Java client that will port over nicely as well as a couple of useful apps we're in the process of building this year.

Its ordered anyway :)
  • meanredspider
    Tablets are the future but at the moment you get so much more bang for your buck with a netbook. Bought one for £120 recently from Currys ebay site. Installed OpenOffice for free. Get about 6 hours from battery. Perfect for surfing and emails. Loads of disk space.

In 2 years time tablets will be a bit cheaper and a lot better.

I found the Netbooks I've played with disappointingly slow (I sent the Dell I bought straight back). The iPad, at least, is in a different league from an interface, screen size/resolution and usability point of view. Instant on is really nice too - especially for that type of casual use. Netbooks are cheap though.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • For the same reason that you should get an iPhone over Android, the apps on the iPad will be far and away better in both number and quality. The Android Marketplace really is amateur hour.

I really miss my iPhone.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Pufftmw wrote:
    You see, I on the other hand am going for a Playbook. Nice multi-tasking envronment, flash, andriod compatible and secure email/calendar. Sure the screen is a bit smaller but then who wants something to lug around when its called a notepad?

To be fair, I'm a Blackberry person anyway. Love my berry (9780) and the idea of something that is just a bit bigger for surfing and emails, especially as I get older & my eyesight fades, really appeals. As more Apps come out, I shall surely use them but another key amongst my uses is for spreadhsheets on the go. We also have a Java client that will port over nicely as well as a couple of useful apps we're in the process of building this year.

Its ordered anyway :)

I thought the playbook did not have this and you had to use blackberry bridge and tether playbook to phone to sync this

I do have a blackberry 9700 and love that
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    If you have a blackberry, then yes, you tether it to your Playbook. It sees it automatically and swaps email/calendar contact data until such a time when it loses contact (devices are moved apart far enough) whereupon the Playbook ceases to have that data. Nice and secure :)
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    For the same reason that you should get an iPhone over Android, the apps on the iPad will be far and away better in both number and quality. The Android Marketplace really is amateur hour.

Thats a pretty subjective thing to say. Apple enforces a more consistent look and feel, and the the Android Marketplace is more accessible. This means that you're probably more likely to find stuff that looks amateurish the Marketplace, but it doesn't automatically imply that there aren't any brilliantly designed Android apps out there.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Pufftmw wrote:
    If you have a blackberry, then yes, you tether it to your Playbook. It sees it automatically and swaps email/calendar contact data until such a time when it loses contact (devices are moved apart far enough) whereupon the Playbook ceases to have that data. Nice and secure :)
    and the playbook is getting native apps soon enough anyway.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Do you prefer design over substance? If so you should choose Apple as they put a lot of the R&D budget into making it look good when sitting on the coffee table. Also the whole apple apps are better because they are all approved by apple, is bollox, frankly apple do this for one reason and that is to control the market place and make more money from you in the process, it has nothing to do with quality. Add to that you have to install and use iTunes to get anything on or off it and Apple are not my first choice.

As for what to buy, tablets are the latest must have and are priced accordingly. Personally I'd wait a while until all the manufacturers have caught up and prices start to come down. Another option is a netbook as you may find you get more for your money for example http://www.johnlewis.com/231200358/Product.aspx for £224 seems like much better value than an iPAD2 @ nearly £500 although you get a keyboard and mouse instead of touch screen.

Decision time for me right now, if HTC Sensation or Samsung Galaxy S2 ...... decisions decisions decisions, I have a HTC Desire right now but the S2 does look a little better....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    For all the Apple pro & anti views, for now it still wins out in terms of being the best of the bunch as things currently stand. Your options are to go for the market leader or wait, but waiting can be an endless task if you're always hanging on for the better one, version N+1.
    notsoblue wrote:
    For the same reason that you should get an iPhone over Android, the apps on the iPad will be far and away better in both number and quality. The Android Marketplace really is amateur hour.

Thats a pretty subjective thing to say. Apple enforces a more consistent look and feel, and the the Android Marketplace is more accessible. This means that you're probably more likely to find stuff that looks amateurish the Marketplace, but it doesn't automatically imply that there aren't any brilliantly designed Android apps out there.
    Quite. Just look at Stats if you want an example of an uninspired off-the-peg almost default GUI but having superb coding in the source and in the DB stored procs. :wink:
  • notsoblue wrote:

Indeed, there are *some* really good ones, but they are outnumbered badly by a whole heap o' shite. I've had the Samsung Galaxy S for about 8 months now, and whilst things are improving, the number of apps which crash badly is still incredible. And some of the permissions you have to hand over to these various companies are phenomenal. At least on the iPhone, you only have to pimp your privacy to Apple. :wink:

Also, how many Android tablet-specific apps are there these days? Not many, I'll wager.
  • Mr Sharky
    Mr Sharky Posts: 172
    iPad for me.

Sonos controller for my music round the house
    Plaything for the kids (educational stuff too)
    Instant web access for internet/email
    Alarm clock every night whilst charging
    iBooks
    Music in the bathroom when I take a bath or have a nice relaxing shave
    Photo collection for selected images (I very rarely print pics out!) :oops:

You can probably get similar things on other platforms to do these things but it is a thing of beauty and everyone is easily able to use it as it's just so intuitive. Instant access is so handy too.
    Hairy-legged roadie ( FCN 4 )
    Occasional fixed ( FCN 6 )
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'm not a fan of Apple or the way they do things. I've got an iPod and really wish I didn't, but no-one else makes a high capacity MP3 player for vageuly sensible money any more. I've got a HTC Desire, and am very glad I haven't got an iPhone, the thought of going near iTunes is enough to put me off.

But......If you want something like an iPad*, then the iPad is possibly the best, almost certainly better than the "playbook" that doesn't seem very geared towards 'play'.

I would have thought the Samsung ones were worth a look.

*But do you actually want/need something as limited as the iPad? Why not a netbook?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • meanredspider
    bails87 wrote:
    *But do you actually want/need something as limited as the iPad? Why not a netbook?

Limited in what way? My son has a laptop and an iPad. He never touches the laptop. The iPad is so much more than a netbook. The GPS and accelerometers see to that before you begin looking at other factors (screen size, resolution, speed, apps, interface, battery life, instant-on, etc etc). they are a fantastic product (I'm not a Mac fan) and are perfect for what most people use a PC for and better still for use in places where people use PCs (ie all around the house). They don't entirely replace a PC (I wouldn't want to edit HD video on one for instance) but I can see a scenario where a household has one desktop/laptop and a number of tablets
  • spasypaddy
    bails87 wrote:

Limited in what way? My son has a laptop and an iPad. He never touches the laptop. The iPad is so much more than a netbook. The GPS and accelerometers see to that before you begin looking at other factors (screen size, resolution, speed, apps, interface, battery life, instant-on, etc etc). they are a fantastic product (I'm not a Mac fan) and are perfect for what most people use a PC for and better still for use in places where people use PCs (ie all around the house). They don't entirely replace a PC (I wouldn't want to edit HD video on one for instance) but I can see a scenario where a household has one desktop/laptop and a number of tablets
    and when he wants to do a report for school? or when the ipad needs restoring/updating? what do you do then?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    It doesblend.
  • bails87
    spasypaddy wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

and when he wants to do a report for school? or when the ipad needs restoring/updating? what do you do then?

I take photos on my digital camera. I have an iPad. How do I get my photos uploaded?

This might be something the OP never does, I'm just saying it is limited compared to a netbook/laptop. But then it's smaller and lighter than one, but more expensive. So swings and roundabouts.

I agree with the rest of your post though, an iPad type device is something that you have in addition to a 'full fat' computer. It's not a standalone device.

AS for GPS compensating for....anything I saw a guy doing ~90mph down the M6 while playing with an iPad slap bang in the middle of the windscreen, right above the steering wheel. Was he using it as a satnav? I don't know, but he was a pleb!
    MTB/CX

• meanredspider
    bails87 wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

I take photos on my digital camera. I have an iPad. How do I get my photos uploaded?

This might be something the OP never does, I'm just saying it is limited compared to a netbook/laptop. But then it's smaller and lighter than one, but more expensive. So swings and roundabouts.

I agree with the rest of your post though, an iPad type device is something that you have in addition to a 'full fat' computer. It's not a standalone device.

AS for GPS compensating for....anything I saw a guy doing ~90mph down the M6 while playing with an iPad slap bang in the middle of the windscreen, right above the steering wheel. Was he using it as a satnav? I don't know, but he was a pleb!

You type the report on the iPad and print it off on a printer (is it a trick question?) Same goes for the digital photos - you upload them to your iPad. You need the card reader but then so will many computers.

And in the next generation of the software, Apple are doing away with the need for a PC altogether (about time too) so it's another non-issue. And, these days for HD video you need a pretty spec'd up PC to cope with and store the video. My HP lappy (only 2 years old) won't even play HD from my GoPro let alone edit it. That's why I think people will invest in one crunching PC and use tablets for day-to-day stuff and probably a NAS drive or similar to store it all.

Games on an iPad are so much better than a netbook :wink:

My advice though is to learn about them properly before judging them. They have some limitations and they aren't cheap but they are great.
  • spasypaddy
    i do know about them, i do know about their limitations as well as their plus points. Negatives currently out weigh positives

IMO they are not a replacement for a PC. they aren't a replacement for a laptop. They are an addition. A luxury good.

Until a tablet in whatever guise you want to talk about them be it the ipad, a playbook, or an android device none of them are as good as a standalone computer, none of them are as useful as a standalone computer.

Would you really want to type a school report on an ipad whilst referencing off a website and researching from the internet? with its famed 'multitasking'?

For the record i have a blackberry and an ipod touch. Both devices have their plus points and their negative points.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    spasypaddy wrote:
    For the record i have a blackberry and an ipod touch. Both devices have their plus points and their negative points.

No waaaaay.
  • meanredspider
    spasypaddy wrote:
    i do know about them, i do know about their limitations as well as their plus points. Negatives currently out weigh positives

IMO they are not a replacement for a PC. they aren't a replacement for a laptop. They are an addition. A luxury good.

Until a tablet in whatever guise you want to talk about them be it the ipad, a playbook, or an android device none of them are as good as a standalone computer, none of them are as useful as a standalone computer.

Would you really want to type a school report on an ipad whilst referencing off a website and researching from the internet? with its famed 'multitasking'?

They're only a luxury good as much as any similar device (iPod Touch, netbook, iPhone (I exclude the BB only on the basis of its business use - not as a home device) etc etc). Multitasking is fine on the iPad. You seem to have some very old information on the iPad. And the fact the successive O/S upgrades just keep bringing more and more functionality that actually works too - try that on a Windows laptop/netbook and you'll be hunting drivers for the first several days - that is if they ever appear.

As for comparing them to a "standalone computer", they are horses for courses. The iPad does the 80-90% of things that most domestic user do better than a "standalone computer". With the next O/S it won't need another computer which will be a big plus (the iPhone needs another computer too). So I still won't be able to do heavy processing tasks but I can't on this HP Pavilion either. The iPad runs much cooler (doesn't cook my legs) and the battery lasts 10 hours. It doesn't get viruses, weighs a fraction of the HP, has a better screen, turns on (& off) instantly, I can use it standing up, it knows where it is (I can even get it to tell me where it is and wipe it remotely if necessary) and so on.

The "standalone computer" and the iPad are different devices. I know I won't buy another laptop. We've replaced the desktop with a really fast computer with a big screen and loads of memory - my next "mobile computing device" will be a tablet.
  • bails87
    bails87 wrote:

You type the report on the iPad and print it off on a printer (is it a trick question?) Same goes for the digital photos - you upload them to your iPad. You need the card reader but then so will many computers.

A lot of netbooks have card readers built in.

Can you connect an SD card/digital camera to the iPad?
    MTB/CX

• meanredspider
    bails87 wrote:
    A lot of netbooks have card readers built in.

Can you connect an SD card/digital camera to the iPad?

Shoot. Connect. Enjoy. The iPad Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera: using your camera’s USB cable or directly from an SD card. iPad supports standard photo formats, including JPEG and RAW. So you can get photos off your camera and onto a more picture-friendly display — moments after you take them.

So, that'll be yes. What's more you can look at your portrait pictures in portrait :wink:

Not many netbooks have GPS and accelerometers built-in though.

And don't think that GPS is only for navigation - it's really useful for location-specific information - weather, shops, news, traffic, services, TV programming, etc etc Despite my laptop know where it is (95% of the time), for some reason it doesn't seem to be able to tell any other applications without my help.