OT - U2

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,877
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
When did people stop liking U2?

Or have they never been liked?

How could the biggest band on the planet over the last couple of decades be a controversial choice to headline Glastonbury?

The Quo and Dire Straits are still cool, right?
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i think alot of people stopped liking them when they took their money away from Ireland to avoid tax

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/06 ... x.protest/
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Never liked. Overrated, shite.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,214
    Awful.

Bono also winds people up more than he used to.

Brooker got the right idea:
    I only watched about 10 minutes of U2's set because I find Bono so annoying. I'm aware this is an experience almost as universal as knowing what wearing a T-shirt feels like, but still: it's true.
  • Always "almost-liked" a lot of their music. Never really loved it though.

Also, see the Sinéad O'Connor school of don't mix politics and music.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    It's just Bonio I don't really like, but I still like most of their stuff. Rattle and Hum is one of my favourite albums. I even had a silhouette of The Edge sprayed on my ghetto blaster. Went to see them at Roundhay Park in Leeds back in the 90s (the Zooropa tour). That was pretty good.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    For me they went downhill about the Rattle and Hum album. Not really liked them since.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • mickbrown
    mickbrown Posts: 100
    Blokes in their mid 40's calling themselves Bono and The Edge?

Lordy.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    the Joshua Tree tour @ NEC - excellent (I was so young!)
    Achtung Baby tour @ NEC - Excellent
    Zooropa tour @ Cardiff Arm Park - Okay'ish

On TV at Glasto - Bunch of old men and allot of off stage sequencing....pretty cack.

Same as the Chilli Peppers:

Dingwalls in London - Brilliant
    Brixton Academy - Brilliant
    Electric Ballroom NYC - Excellent
    V Festival - Excellent
    Heid Park - Utter crap.

I guess I am getting to be a grumpy old man.....
  • Agent57
    The main thing I was annoyed at by U2's Glasto set is that I switched BBC Four (or Three, not sure) on to see if it was any good, and realised I'd missed the highlights of Jimmy Cliff's performance. =(
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    For me the Joshua Tree was one of the great albums - after that meh.

Now and then a good song still manages to come struggling to the surface but few and far between.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • walkingbootweather
    walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
    edited June 2011
    Their early stuff had much more vitality, These days I find them rather bland.

Worst thing about there performance at Glastonbury was simply they weren't very good.

Saw Rolling Stones live about 15 years ago. Even then the band appeared very middle aged except Mick Jagger still 'had it' in a way that Bono doesn't.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I've never liked U2, but whenever I hear Beautiful Day I'm reminded of Denis Bergkamp's great goal against Newcastle (I think) that used on the opening credits of Match Of The Day when Beautiful Day was played over the clips from the previous season.

Great goal, mediocre song.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Never liked them. Heard someone talking about Bonio asking how one person could hold so many conflicting ideas in one tiny mind.
  • unscarred
    unscarred Posts: 208
    Many years ago, I tired to explain to someone that while U2 were OK, I thought the fact that they only wrote one song per album then just did variations on a theme was lazy.

He insisted U2 were the greatest band in the world "because they just are" and would not budge from that position.
    FCN 6 in the week on the shiny new single speed.

FCN 3 at the weekend - struggling to do it justice!
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    The went downhill after BOY and OCTOBER Albums.
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538

"Well stop f#cking clapping then . . ."

:wink:

Urban myth, but still funny.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    He's such a sanctimonious cock. That's why it's so believable.
  • Agent57
    Veronese68 wrote:
    He's such a sanctimonious fool. That's why it's so believable.

* Agent57 likes this
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    With Bono and U2 and Chris Martin and Coldplay all at Glastonbury, who was looking after Africa this weekend?

Mind you, it was nice to hear that as U2 and Coldplay are so worried about African debt that they gave their appearance fees to pay off 3rd world debt *

* These multi millionaires are going to announce this aren't they?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    you're all forgetting that Bono has the biggest collection of hatchbacks in the country. surely he deserves some credit for that?
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Used to be a big fan, owned all their albums up to Achtung Baby, but have come to view The Joshua Tree as overblown c@ck, and frankly Rattle and Hum was awful.

Have listened to their most recent two albums, on a whim, and regretted it. They've grown old.

Their best (live) song remains "11 o'clock Tick Tock" - listen to "Under a Blood Red Sky", their early live album, if you want to hear them playing well to a live audience.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • PedalPedant
    PedalPedant Posts: 185
    Isn't about time someone posted this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Go2DK9VtQ (Bill Bailey giving The Edge some stick)

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Isn't about time someone posted this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Go2DK9VtQ (Bill Bailey giving The Edge some stick)

PP
    It's a funny piece, but Edge shows exactly this in the documentary "It Might Get Loud", so I don't think it's a secret that he makes use of effects. Seems pretty clever to me :)
  • nigglenoo
    nigglenoo Posts: 177
    Three or four years of quite liking them at the time, up to the War album, followed by twenty seven years of gradually increasing loathing :evil:
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Don't worry, TWH, Dire Straits and the Quo are still dead cool. You can still wear those Tshirts with pride...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    My wife went to see Bon Jovi last night at the Bristol City Football ground - apparently, they rocked. A little surprised that their management company did not have the foresight to book them in at Glasto this weekend. I am pretty sure they would have blown Coldplay off the stage if they had just rattled out the hits!

Must be galling to be in a mega rock band that used to play 90,000 seater stadiums, reduced to playing Bristol City Football ground.....

Jon Bon Jovi has a brace on his leg....
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    gtvlusso wrote:
    My wife went to see Bon Jovi last night at the home of God's own team, Bristol City (Ashton Gate, lovely view of the suspension bridge, you know) - apparently, they rocked

Must be wonderful for one-trick pony hair-metal geriatrics to be in a mega stadium like Ashton Gate

FTFY

And yes, Bristol City DO rock. Totally.

It's just a hill. Get over it.