Marmotte Parking

Calvia
Calvia Posts: 17
Hi,

I am going to be staying in Grenoble on the Friday night and driving to the start on the Sat Morning.

Where do you reckon the best place to Park will be?

I imagine Bourg will be packed out in the morning so was thinking maybe at the top of D'huez, there will probably be more spaces but I wont just have to drive up , but will have to decend before the start.

What do you reckon???

Thanks!!!

Comments

• You'll be up early. Park in the supermarket carpark just by the island at the base of ALpe d'Huez.
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Road to Bourg will be mostly closed on the morning of The Day until the riders have gone. Yeah early start for you. Also recommend the layby near the turn to the Col d'Ornon.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    When I did it a couple of years back, I stayed at the top of the Alp and descended first thing in the morning. Very eerie cycling down the Alp with hundreds of other cyclists in almost complete silence and half light.

There are some large carparks at the top, and if you don't cycle down before the start, you'll have to at the end. That said, if you want to make a quick exit afterwards, I'd park at the bottom.
  • Apologies - slight thread hijack

Im doing the Etape the week after and am booked on the park and ride
    As far as I can tell the mass car park will be up on the Alp

How much pain and misery can I expect getting down in a car after the road opens to drive back to Modane?

Cheers and thanks in advance

:)
  • Calvia
    Calvia Posts: 17
    Thanks for the advice. I will park just of the main road near the turn off for the Croix de Fer. Then it is just a nice 5km flat roll to the start.

Thanks for sharing you knowledge and experience, saves me a panic on the morning!