Broken spoke - mechanical failure?

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited June 2011 in Road beginners
Right, ploughing up a hill last night and suddenly there was an ominous "twang" from the back wheel. Hopped off and I'd broken a spoke - how, I've no idea.

Should this happen on a 4 month old bike that's only ever done 600 miles? I've had it happen once before but that was on a much older wheel and after hitting a huge bump.

not happy :evil:

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what bike?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • secretsam
    nicklouse wrote:
    what bike?

Cannondale CAAD8 2010 Sora - cheapie wheels but am sure this should simply not have happened on a relatively new bike

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    you should be happy it didnt happen at 50mph

and it is a £1.00 part,

and soon you will be well up on wheel repair / truing
  • Rule74Please
    Rule74Please Posts: 307
    No it is a warranty failure.

dealer will fix the first for free but he should tell you it might happen again as these wheels are very poorly made.

If you saw how they are manufactured you would be shocked
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Get your LBS to fix it and ask them to retension the back wheel - successive spoke failure is an indication of a poorly built wheel - if you try and replace it yourself with little knowledge you're unlikely to address any underlying problem with the wheel.

As they are relatively low-end wheels, expect that they'll be machine-built wheels with poor / inconsistent tension. An experienced wheelbuilder should be able to sort them in about 15 minutes and eliminate future problems.

This might be a one-off, or the start of something more serious, but impossible to say without seeing the wheel in question.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ads2k
    ads2k Posts: 135
    Had the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago myself. £15 new spoke and wheel trued and jobs a good'un. The wheel after just a short 9 mile ride home was nicely shaped like a banana :lol:
  • secretsam
    No it is a warranty failure.

Thought so, that means a trip to Evans' in MK. Damn.
    dealer will fix the first for free but he should tell you it might happen again as these wheels are very poorly made.

If you saw how they are manufactured you would be shocked

Why? Surely it's just a huge machine?

• I had this happen twice on my CAAD8 Tiagra. I should have insisted on a warranty repair but in a moment of weakness and because I wanted to get the bike on the road I just bought a new wheel.
  • alwaystoohot
    alwaystoohot Posts: 252
    I broke a spoke twice and the shop that built the wheel said I should have come back to tighten the spokes after 2-300 miles. Personally I think the guy is full of pooh and I now go to a different shop. But thats what he said at least.
    'I started with nothing and still have most of it left.'
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Depends on the quality of the wheel, but generally cheaper, machine-build wheels aren't tensioned highly or evenly enough and therefore go out of true quicker - hence the need for attention after a few hundred miles.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • secretsam
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Depends on the quality of the wheel, but generally cheaper, machine-build wheels aren't tensioned highly or evenly enough and therefore go out of true quicker - hence the need for attention after a few hundred miles.

Now, I was offered the 'free check up' service but no-one mentioned wheel truing, etc.

The thing is, my nearest Evans is 20 miles away, so going up there and getting it done free vs. staying home and getting LBS to do it for (say) £20 is a bit marginal...