Crudstock 2012 - yay or nay?

Gazlar
Gazlar Posts: 8,084
edited June 2011 in The Crudcatcher
Since the demise of Bike radar live there's been no real ride and social weekend, so as you may have seem on the Katy Perry thread we've been discussing the possibility of a crudcatcher camp and ride, around this time next year. Quite simply before discussing form function or whatever in depth would you be interested in attending?

The basic proposal fri night to sun, possibly 22-24 June 2012 as it appears it would clash least with school hols, bank hols olympics etc

location tbc

cost, prob just the cost of camping

So yeah just really want to know if this would be a starter or non starter
Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
Amy
Farnsworth
Zapp

Comments

• Ransaka
    Ransaka Posts: 474
    I'd be interested as none of my mates are into mtbing so it'd be nice to ride with other folks and get very pissed at a campsite too. Not sure if I can hack the fitness required for the climbs and stuff at the moment but with a year I'm sure I could manage it :D

Is it a case of bring your own lime or are they provided?
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Yes I'd be interested in that if it's even half as much fun as we all had at BRL it will be orsums!

As I said in the other thread, I quite fancy doing something a bit epic for it rather than just trail centre riding.
    I know Snowdon is out of the question on the dates we're looking at because of the voluntary bike ban, but there is loads of great riding to be had in Welshland. Someone come up with some more suggestions.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Sounds grand...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Pencil me in. For info, I have a gazeebo and a generator. Oh and can I be the first to say "Bring your own f**king chair!"
    :lol:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,419
    I could be up for this, good call Gaz.

Mind you I haven't even got a tent so might have to cadge one from somewhere. Or a sleeping bag for that matter!
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    id be in.

depending on who else is gong of course.

i hate people.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Wherever we go, there needs to be good access to ditches, hookers, grocers (for limes), butchers (liver), and hardware shops (string).
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Needs to be somewhere central. Like Sheffield.
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    2nd Sheffield

No honestly for a full weekend , the variety of riding , gritstone moors and limestone dales plenty of campsites and some other things I vote for the peaks
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Sounds like a laugh. Be a brilliant way to celebrate being free from those pesky exams too...
  • Richie63
    Oh yeah you can get there on the train and not need a car

Vote Peaks
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,419
    Richie63 wrote:
    2nd Sheffield
    Does it have plenty of hookers?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yeah on Rutland Road.
  • Gazlar
    It seems to have been well received in its initial stages, so I'm happy to do some further investigation and gather info over the coming weeks and months before putting something together later in the year. Obviously we won't have stages, manufacturer tents and the like but if the initial interest turns to actual bookings then we can always give one of the mags a yell, get the wrecking crew down or something, perhaps passing on tips to some of us lesser skilled riders, I dunno, thats off on a tangent anyway.

With regard to locations

Peaks, particularly hope valley (imho)is a good call, reservations, perhaps catering for the lesser skilled they like the security of a trail centre

CYB - good mix of ability riding, good choice of trails, something for everyone, negs, transport links are not as good and not sure about camping, but I could investigate

My personal choice is Afan, I found this place to stay which appears to be a short spin from the back of the Wall trail, and has 4x and Dj facilities on site for some hillarious crudcatcher challenges http://www.brynbettws.com/ Port Talbot does have good links transport wise. The downside is that it is a bit out the way distance wise, but then again its relative, its always going to be a slog for someone.

Seriously though I'm open to all suggestions and I'm happy also to compile a dossier on say the strongest 3/4 locations and then put it to the forum later in the year for further opinions
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Feck yeah i'm in!
    Sheffield sounds ok but will our bikes be safe?
    I'd rather not do a trail centre (as much as i love em) but somewhere where there is a goal to reach or a full day loop?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,859
    yep, I am in.

Peaks is always good & you can mod the ride to have extra loops in the middle for the keen, but still start & finish together at a pub :)
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    Peaks is good, near the rental units so can stop by them on the sunday when heading back*, and this maybe a required weekend away before my wedding, if you know what i mean!

*in no way is this an open invitation for you lot to arrive expecting a roast on the sunday!
  • Ransaka
    Ransaka Posts: 474
    kaiser83 wrote:
    Peaks is good, near the rental units so can stop by them on the sunday when heading back

Same since mine are in Derbyshire and they would happily feed anyone who turned up a tasty Sunday roast.
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    Ransaka wrote:
    kaiser83 wrote:
    Peaks is good, near the rental units so can stop by them on the sunday when heading back

Same since mine are in Derbyshire and they would happily feed anyone who turned up a tasty Sunday roast.

yeah i think mine would be, just not sure i want Andy or Sheeps knowing where my mum lives!!

Glossop is also not the most amazing of places but there is a good pub for a start finish, the grouse at the top of tunnal.

it would be great if we can a place with more than one route with a similar starting place i dont fancy lugging the tent round!
  • cat_with_no_tail
    I should probably be the one to point out that since this is the CC, there will be loads of initial interest, but nobody will actually commit to anything and the weekend will amount to precisely fuckall.

For that reason Gaz, I'd suggest doing it as an HOMBRES weekender with an open invite to crudders. At least that way, you'll not be wasting your time organizing stuff.

I'll be there though.........probably........maybe........if I'm not doing something else.
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    supersonic wrote:
    Needs to be somewhere central. Like Sheffield.

This
  • Gazlar
    Tbh HOMBRES is on it's last legs after me losing patience with a couple of feckwits and me generally not having the time this last year to really run it. I'm just considering whether it's worth hanging onto something that's not really offering what it offer, other than a pretty logo or just arranging rides in a more traditional informal way on fb and here. Plus most things Hombres drift like crudder interest.

I know what your saying about crudder interest ebbing in stuff that's why I thought it best to leave out minibusses and stuff like that just have date, place, campsite phone number, book your pitch, if you turn up you'll meet some cool people (and el cap, I mean cos he is super cool and a medical marvel, in fact I'd say he's an android) if you don't turn up it's your loss.

Peaks seem a popular choice so that's definately on the shortlist. What I'll do is leave this thread to run then when I'm back from my travels in sept I'll ring round some places to see if they'll have potential groups post a few choices and leave it to a vote. Then I can give the info to book etc nearer the time, msybeget a sticky thread
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    I'm in...

peak's is miles away though...!

CYB would be good, but Afan is perfect (for me!) good m4 access too....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Such a good idea, iv'e just done a sex wee
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Gazlar
    joshtp wrote:
    I'm in...

peak's is miles away though...!

CYB would be good, but Afan is perfect (for me!) good m4 access too....

yeah err josh when we say camping in the mountains, don't pack a cowboy hat and turn up in a pickup, brokeback style;)

theriouthly this is the one prob that everwhere is going to be miles from someone which is why there will be a shortlist vote. If it's sucessful next year it can be repeated the year after and moved to suit other people. Plus the good thing with a weekended is it gives you opportunity to travel and ride somewhere you generally don't gave opportunity to ride
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Going with Josh's theory, maybe as its 2012 and some sort of sporting event is going on, come down to good old essex where there's the mother of all MTB'ing tracks!
    There's even great views of the river :roll:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Richie63
    If it turns out to be the Peaks, I'm more than willing to do the running around to book things since I usually have a couple of weeks away from work each month and know the place well campsites etc and could possibly arrange a van and trailer to get bikes around the area.

You know what I can't wait till next year :D
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Depends on where it is at the end of the day, Not gonna drive 3 hours + if its naff trails :P
  • foxc_uk
    foxc_uk Posts: 1,292
    If I'm biking & have sorted my fitness by then I'll be up for it, don't care where it is, although have a preference for trail centres. Never know, by then I might have overcome my fear of natural trails...