Hot!

nich
nich Posts: 888
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
I don't like it much, bring on the winter!

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Forget that. Heat wins all the way for me.
    What sort of nutter prefers to shiver than sweat?!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    Lucky barstewards is pi$$ing down ere!! :(
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i love the heat, the otter the better but i couldn't sleep last night, i felt like i was melting

currently 29C in my office

it says its going to chuck it down later today though
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    My initial cyclist tan is working out well. Pasty white hands, bright red arms pasty shoulders and chest.... lovely!
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    6:30am bombing down embankment in a warm tailwind. Amazing :D
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    This weather is *glorious*, and what better way to enjoy than on a bike?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Wow, first warm morning of the year :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    That was the first really warm commute this year. Bring it on. It's only nearly July.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    normally I start to suffer from sweat running down my face about a mile to go on my 12 mile commute. This morning I had it pouring from my chin by 6 miles.

For the first time i can remember I wish I had a water bottle for the ride home!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Shiver? take a fair bit to do that, I personally don't get that cold in winter, over 25C and I start to suffer, take last winter certainly in the SE it was never that cold. most of the time I didn't use a jacket when MTBing as it wasn't cold enough!

this sort of weather is lovely in the pool but horrible if you want to do anything.
  • cyclopsbiker
    cyclopsbiker Posts: 516
    I bet Cafewanda is Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy with all this heat :)
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Took the car into the office this morning as the lycra is in the wash from a long hot ride yesterday. The prospect of riding in jeans this morning was right out.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    SimonAH wrote:
    Took the car into the office this morning as the lycra is in the wash from a long hot ride yesterday. The prospect of riding in jeans this morning was right out.

Ha! That'll teach you to only have one set of cycling kit - you've missed the only summer commute day of 2011.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Rolf F wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

Ha! That'll teach you to only have one set of cycling kit - you've missed the only summer commute day of 2011.

Pulls up Wiggle on his browser...
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    a balmy 8C here this morning..... 8)
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I was dripping with sweat, and our work showers only seem to have a 'hot' temperature, so it was like going into a sauna :x

I think I'm going to need a sweatband for my head, otherwise my gloves won't be lasting very long!
  • Mark Bom
    Mark Bom Posts: 184
    Got to work hot from the commute and the warm weather. Enjoyed a nice cool shower then went into where I work to find the air con knackered. Sweating my bollox off!!

Hope it doesn't rain for ride home!
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    On public transport, as new wheels not arrived yet.....

Sweaty in the extreme on the tube yuck!
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    LOVE this heat.

Still need to sort myself out and start commuting.

Can't get enough of it. I'm always genuinely happier when it's over 27.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    edited June 2011
    too hot!! slowist commute of the year I think as too hot to go fast and then to burn up at the lights. Still meant I was nice and cool prior to going into work.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I'm with the OP, yesterday was uncomfortable (100+ miles) to say the least, especially as I opted for a long sleeve shirt for sun protection.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Left at Oh-seven-hundred this morning, what did the Oh stand for - Oh My God its HOT!

Bring on Autumn.......I stayed drier when its raining than I did this morning!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    nich wrote:
    I don't like it much, bring on the winter!

Can't believe you're wishing the summer away! There'll be plenty of winter weather along in a couple of months...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Returned Saturday night from 2 weeks in Turkey, 35 to 40 degrees every day. Thought I'd bring you all a bit of warmth back with me, nice huh.

Mananged 3 hours of biking while I was there - quad biiking 8)
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I am loving the heat - went out yesterday at about 12:30 did 50 miles.

What is it they say "mad dogs and englishmen...."?

I love the heat - it cant be hot enough - although my Lid straps don't like being covered in salt.

Any tips for washing lid Straps?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Flyingbogey
    Flyingbogey Posts: 352
    Love the hot weather too, No such thing as too hot. Saved me from a left hooker yesterday as a people carrier was about to end me, i shouted and as they all had their windows down i was heard and not mangled.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Shiver? take a fair bit to do that, I personally don't get that cold in winter, over 25C and I start to suffer, take last winter certainly in the SE it was never that cold. most of the time I didn't use a jacket when MTBing as it wasn't cold enough!

this sort of weather is lovely in the pool but horrible if you want to do anything.

It depends what that anything is. I know that what I was doing last night and this morning is better when hot and sweaty! Whose with me?!

The one advantage that winter has over summer is that in winter you can put more clothing on to keep warm, but in summer you can only take so much off. Even though I grow my own fur gillet, I much prefer summer to winter.
    Commuting through -12 and snow last winter was OK due to proper clothing. Different people operate at different temperatures. I like hot, you like cold. You're wrong, but to you, I'm wrong.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Sketchley wrote:
    On public transport....!

I'm quite relieved to hear that, because there was a chap in a 'Quinns rugby top on the Embankment this morning riding.... badly and I rather hoped it wasn't you.
  • walkingbootweather
    walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
    edited June 2011
    nich wrote:
    I think I'm going to need a sweatband for my head, otherwise my gloves won't be lasting very long!

I've stopped wearing gloves on my head - it makes me look like a c*ck (well a chicken at least)

C_71_article_1402106_image_list_image_list_item_1_image.jpg
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Whose with me?!
    Pro tip: Learn the name first, saves hassle later.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo