Oh bu99er, what have I done?

swelsbyuk
swelsbyuk Posts: 421
edited July 2011 in Road beginners
I popped into Halfords yesterday to buy a micro fibre cloth for cleaning the car. However, when I left it appears I had also purchased a Boardman Road Race bike:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165710

Not sure how or why this happened, although the fact that I turn 40 next week may have been a contributing factor!!

This is the first road bike I've owned since I was 15 (although I have been using MTBs for the past 5 years) but I don't know where to start - and Halfords' 12-year-old sale staff were of little assistance.

Please excuse by lack of knowledge on technical terms, but what are the best pedals? The bike has come with cages but am I better with clip in ones? (I use flats on the MTB).
Also, do I need a new helmet or will the MTB suffice? If I have to buy Lycra, are bib shorts better than normal shorts?

Any help welcome, and please feel free to word the replies as though you are talking to a small child who needs everything explaining in full!!

Thanks in advance.

S

Comments

• carbon337
    carbon337 Posts: 414
    You know the answers to those already.....

New helmet, Bib shorts, nice top and some new shoes + SPD's

After all its your birthday next week so why not.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    You could pop on clipless, Shimano M520s are good starter pedals and are very affordable. They are more MTB oriented, but that's the good part!

As far as helmet, don't have to buy a new one, but it is your birthday, get the family to treat you to a whole new riding kit for the bike! Bib shorts are the way forward, since they have the straps over the shoulders, it holds the padding in place and is much more comfortable. A good cycling jersey is also in order!
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Use your mtb kit on the road bike, I do. same type of pedals on each bike so I can use the same shoes.

I do use spd's though, once you appreciate the benefits of spd's on the road bike, you may find you 'try' a set on the mtb.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • lifeform
    lifeform Posts: 126
    In answer to the thread question, you have done absolutely the right thing. :D

The rest of it is down to you - although I will say that the pedals need changing. I've been using the OEM pedals on my Trek 1.1 for about 5 weeks now, and they're utter toilet. Payday next week, and SPD-540s and shoes on the list.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    SPD pedals and the stiffest soled shoes you can find.

Unless your helmet is a full face, you can get away with it but you will want a road helmet.

Bib shorts all the way. And a nice jersey with rear pockets for stuff.

Enjoy your bike.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Well done! That's a great starter bike!

Now, let the real fun begin... jerseys (short & long sleeve), rainproof, bib-shorts, bib-tights, assos chamois cream, SPD-SL pedals, new road shoes, helmet, gloves, glasses with changeable lenses, pump (track & mini), wedge bag, all the stuff to go in the wedge bag inc mini-tool set, large tool set, bike work stand, cleaning products, lights, Zero5 electrolyte tablets, SIS energy drink, spare inner tubes, socks that match your jersey, quick on-and-off mudguards, bike computer (but you know you NEED the Garmin 800).

Then, once you've got all that, you'll inevitably start thinking about which bike you're going to upgrade to next!
  • Secteur wrote:

Now, let the real fun begin... jerseys (short & long sleeve), rainproof, bib-shorts, bib-tights, assos chamois cream, SPD-SL pedals, new road shoes, helmet, gloves, glasses with changeable lenses, pump (track & mini), wedge bag, all the stuff to go in the wedge bag inc mini-tool set, large tool set, bike work stand, cleaning products, lights, Zero5 electrolyte tablets, SIS energy drink, spare inner tubes, socks that match your jersey, quick on-and-off mudguards, bike computer (but you know you NEED the Garmin 800).

Then, once you've got all that, you'll inevitably start thinking about which bike you're going to upgrade to next!

haha, someone who thinks the same as me
    To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid......

95kg to 87kg and dropping......

Gary Fisher - Tassajara
    Trek - 2.3
  • Secteur wrote:

Heh Heh

That's exactly how it happened to me with the exception of

1/ SPD SL - I stuck with spd but bought a pair of extremely tarty SIDI mtb shoes (shiny black and red) which will never be getting muddy.

2/ er that's it..

And the crowning glory? - yesterday I picked up a Garmin 800 bundle from Evans (20% off till Tuesday) and it's brilliant, absolutely brilliant.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    You'll definitely want a couple of pairs of bibshorts.

If you had been using clipless (i.e. clip in) pedals on the MTB you could have swapped them over, at least when starting out, but as you have flats on the MTB and are presumably happy with them I would just get some road-specific clipless pedals and shoes. You certainly want to be attached to your pedals in some way on a road bike. Road and MTB pedal systems are different, and while you can use MTB types for both at a pinch, they are each better for their intended purposes.

The helmet will be fine, but if it has one of those clip-on visors, pull it off and bin it - mainly because it just screams non-roadie!
  • red dragon
    red dragon Posts: 263
    Looks a great starter bike, like me you probably made the mistake of touching it first, I hope you enjoy. :D:D:D
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    You can get away with some puncture resistant tyres for the moment
  • swelsbyuk
    Thanks to you all for taking the time and effort to respond.

Bib-shorts ordered - gulp. Could be interesting. Can't wait to see the wife's face when I first pull them on!

Further decisions to made tomorrow.

S
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Bib-shorts ordered - gulp. Could be interesting. Can't wait to see the wife's face when I first pull them on!
    It'll be even better if you shave your legs too... :wink:
  • chiark
    chiark Posts: 335
    swelsbyuk wrote:
    S

I like to warn my wife, and suggest that it may mess with her mind. She just tells me I look bloody ridiculous.

In her mind I know she's thinking what a lucky girl she is though... ;)

You've done the right thing. As mid life crises go, it could have been a lot worse - and a lot more expensive :D
    Synapse Alloy 105 / Rock Lobster Tig Team Sl
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    chiark wrote:
    swelsbyuk wrote:
    S

I like to warn my wife, and suggest that it may mess with her mind. She just tells me I look bloody ridiculous.

In her mind I know she's thinking what a lucky girl she is though... ;)

You've done the right thing. As mid life crises go, it could have been a lot worse - and a lot more expensive :D

My wife finds my bibs on me sexy, and it even turns her on, somehow. I guess I have it lucky. Now if we could we could translate that luck into new riding kit from her every now and again.
  • swelsbyuk
    Bib shorts have arrived but not sorted shoes/pedals yet. Am I best, as previously suggested, buying the MTB version as easier to use for a novice (and could double them up on by MTB) or should I take the plunge and go for the road versions?

I've included some ideas below. They seem to be not too expensive and well reviewed. Any opinions welcome!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-m1-mtb-shoes/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-m520-pedals/

or

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-r540 ... rt-pedals/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-r1-road-cycling-shoe/
  • WisePranker
    WisePranker Posts: 823
    I've just went with a set of Specialized Comp shoes like these

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... goryID=218

and a set of M540 SPD pedals with no problems at all so far.

I've stuck with my MTB helmet as well with no problems.

One thing I'd recommend is taking your bike to a decent mechanic to get it looked over as Halfords don't seem to be the greatest when it comes to building new bikes!
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I just started using clipless pedals & shoes recently. I went with Shiman R540 SPD SL pedals and Shimano R087 shoes. I had no problems getting the hang of clipping in and out and I'm glad I went the clipless route. I wouldn't go with MTB cleats for a road bike just because they might be easier to use, I don't think it's a problem. However as often mentioned most road cleats like the SPD SLs are no fun to walk around in so if you'll be getting on and off your bike during rides that might be a reason to go with a MTB type. If you have a MTB and want to use the shoes for both then it would make sense to standardise with MTB type cleats.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    swelsbyuk wrote:

S

Freddie Mercury usually comes up in conversation when I put mine on.