Self build

Rich1969
Rich1969 Posts: 29
edited July 2011 in Your mountain bikes
Okay well I don’t post too much, but thought I would share a diary about a self build project I have decided to undertake.

First a little bit of history.

I built my first full bike back in 1983 at the age of 13. A BMX, on a supergoose frame, with Black Skyway wheels, a one piece cr moly crank and 1 dia comp rear break (We never seemed to use to front breaks in those days - a foot wedged on the back of the front wheel behind the front fork if you wanted to pull an endo)!. I rode this bike for a number of years before taking up another sport. Then about 3 years ago I decided to get back in riding, no radical stuff in skate parks, not at my advancing years :lol: Can you imagin one 40 plus slightly overweight fella trying to get air! It aint going to happen! So strictly, nice, middle aged person firendly Thetford forest for me!

I soon realised things had moved on from my BMX days and for the type of riding I was planning - mainly single track / light trail work, a hard tail seemed like good enough option. After much reading and research I settled on a Rockhopper Pro (2009), & duly lurked around on flea bay until a suitable bike became available. Purchase made I enjoyed 2 years good riding on this bike, until some ######## stole it! (last October) warning don’t take your bike to centre parcs! Anyway after scouring the second hand sites to try & find a suitable replacement I realised there are tones or components up for grabs, so I have decided it might be quite fun to build up my own bike.

This is not going to be a story of a "money no object dream machine build", just an ordinary geezer putting together an HT bike for occasional use. I'm currently hunting for Rockhopper Frame again as I like the ride & I already have an XT chain ring set sitting in t he garage, which was intended upgrade to the now stolen bike. So as they say from small acrons.....

I will update this post as I purchase components & I will update this thread from time to time and let you know how the build progresses.

Comments

• Rich1969
    Frame and fork has arrived, rockhopper pro 2009 and rock shox reba sl. I fitted the crank (Shimano xt) yesterday.

its slowley coming together.

:lol:
  • toastedone
    toastedone Posts: 838
    Love my rockhopper, good luck with your build, hope to see some pics soon
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Nice, there's nothing like building your own bike. What are you thinking for the rest of the components?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Rich1969
    Not too sure on the rest of the components as I'm making this up as I go along, most likely try to keep to Shimano XT group set where possible and Avid hydraulic breaks. Juicy 7's ideally.

I have ordered a specalized stem and handle bars, just waiting for them to arrive. I need to locate a crown race for the fork.

looking at a specalized saddle back leather with either cro mo or ti rails.

Wheels, shifters, grips, seat post tyres etc etc undecided as yet.

Feel free to make suggestions.

I'm also scouring that popular auction site, so to a certain extent I'm governed by what I can find and win on there..

I'll try and work out how to upload pics soon.

cheers Rich
  • Rich1969 wrote:
    I need to locate a crown race for the fork.

good look with your build, the crown race for your forks will be headset specific, when you get a new headset the crown race is included
  • ilovedirt
    Take the frame to the LBS, they may be able to find a crown race to match your headset

As for wheels, hope hoops are a good safe bet
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Rich1969
    Rich1969 wrote:

good look with your build, the crown race for your forks will be headset specific, when you get a new headset the crown race is included

Hi thanks for that, the frame has a cane creek head set included, but it looks a bit knackered to me. I was going to buy a new one, and get my lbs to replce the old with new, maybe get them to fix the crown race too. what are your thoughts on head set ses is it worth speandign a lot on one iei a hope or cking, or should I just go for a liek for like replacment?.

cheers Rich
  • Rich1969
    edited June 2011
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Take the frame to the LBS, they may be able to find a crown race to match your headset

As for wheels, hope hoops are a good safe bet

Hi ILD,

I have actiualy just won a set of wheels on flea bay, the seller says they have come of a rockehopper pro sl, so hopefully should be okay for this build, I can see that in time I will end up upgrading everything anyway. When the time comes I bear in mind hope hoops, seemd a lot of ppl give them the thumbs up.

cheers Rich
  • toastedone
    toastedone Posts: 838
    Do you have forks yet?

Edit: Sorry i just saw your post saying you have forks, the reason i asked is because i just replaced my suntour forks from my 2011 RH for rebas so the suntours are going begging
  • Rich1969
    tks for the offer Toast, but yes I'm sorted for forks now.

cheers rcih
  • Rich1969 wrote:
    Rich1969 wrote:

Hi thanks for that, the frame has a cane creek head set included, but it looks a bit knackered to me. I was going to buy a new one, and get my lbs to replce the old with new, maybe get them to fix the crown race too. what are your thoughts on head set ses is it worth speandign a lot on one iei a hope or cking, or should I just go for a liek for like replacment?.

cheers Rich

the crown race comes with a headset.... if you buy a new headset, it wil be included.
  • Time.to.ride
    Time.to.ride Posts: 463
    Just had a hope headset fitted cant praise them enough Chris King being the only other one i love especially the multi coloured one.
  • it you have the money to by hope then you wont be disappointed, like the old saying 'buy cheap, buy twice'
    however superstars are very good value, no problems with mine so far and they come in a full range of anodised colours
    they have zero stack, tapered and standard 1/8
  • ilovedirt
    I have hope headsets on both of my bikes, the one on my patriot has been fine (ironically, the one i didn't buy new), but i've had real trouble getting the one on my 456 to spin freely with no resistance.... it's really getting on my nerves.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Rich1969
    Wheels sorted - a pair of DT swiss off a Rockhopper Pro 2011, the guy had just upgraded to hope hoops.

& I won a set of juicy 7's on flea bay on sunday. :lol:

so now I need,
    tyres
    tubes
    cassett
    QR skewers
    front and rear mechs
    shifters
    grips
    chain
    saddle
    peddels
    & a bell

just kidding think I'll leave the bell out :wink:
  • Rich1969
    Have decided I'm going to give the breaks a complete service, new pads, o rings, replace pistons, basically a complete caliper and leaver serice and of course bleeding.

also decided I'm going to go for new BB and head set, just so I know anything with brearings and breaking system is 100%.
  • Rich1969
    A note to any hydraulic break manufactures, when you next design your pistons can you include a thread on the Piston centre lug that the pad locates against. This will make life sooooo much easier when us mere mortals have to pull seized or stuck pistons. i.e. a simple “piston puller tool” which would screw on to this lug enabling you to get a decent pull on the piston, (which you can sell & make more money).

It will save all this aggro with compressed air & / or pushing the piston out with breaking action.

anyway just a thought, but I'll settle for 20% commission on profits from sale of the puller tool. :wink:

I can just imagine the advert strap lines in the glossies,
    “the easiest piston pull you'll have”
  • Rich1969
    Quick update - I have got about 3/4 of the components assembled as follows:

Frame: 2009 Rockahopper Pro
    Forks: Rock Shox Reba sl 100ml travel
    Bars: Specialized 6066 alloy bars 620 mm bars upswept 6 degrees 31.6 mm thick
    Stem: Specalized Stem 90mm 6061 alloy
    Headset: TBA
    Grips: Specalized Endruo lock on. Black
    Bar Ends: n/a

Front Brake Lever assy: Avid Juicy 7
    Front Caliper: Avid Juicy 7
    Front disc: Avid clean sweep 203mm
    Rear Brake Lever assy: Avid Juicy 7
    Rear Caliper: Avid Juicy 7
    Rear Disc: Avid clean sweep 185mm

Shifters: Shimano XT SL M770 9 Speed
    Front Mech: Shimano XT M770-10
    Rear Mech: Shimano XT M772 (Shadow)
    Chain Device: n/a

Seat: Specialized Rival BG
    Seat Post: Specialized stumpjumper seat post
    Seat Post Clamp: Specalized

Cranks: SHIMANO DEORE XT HOLLOWTECH 2 CRANKSET 22/32/44 BB
    Chain: Shimano HG93 deore XT
    Cassette: TBA
    Pedals: Wellgo MG1 Black
    Bottom Bracket: XT SLX Hone Hollowtech 2 BB70B

Front Wheel:
    Rim: DT-Swiss 445D, 26 inch, alloy double wall disc, pin joint, eyelets, 28 hole front
    Spokes:2mm (14g) stainless red alloy nipples (ouch!)
    Hub:Forged alloy, hi/low flange, sealed cartridge bearing, machined disc mount, 28hole
    Tire: Bontrager XDX 2.10

Back Wheel:
    Rim: DT-Swiss 445D, 26 inch, alloy double wall disc, pin joint, eyelets, 32 hole rear
    Spokes:2mm (14g) stainless red alloy nipples (ouch!)
    Hub:Forged alloy, double sealed cartridge bearing, machined disc mount, cassette, QR, 32hole
    Tire: Bontrager Jones dry x 1.90.

Other info: