Converting a single speed bike to a 3 speed?

Speedmenace
Speedmenace Posts: 97
edited June 2011 in Road beginners
Is it possible, a 3 piece chainring (50/39/30) and a 14t rear cog
My road bike is custom built and the frame came from a geared bike

It would be so awesome if it is possible, one climbing gear, one cruising/flat gear and one sprinting/descending gear. What more do you need :D

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Good idea, you would need something to take up the varying slack in the chain.
    A rear mech fixed in one position relative to the rear sprocket would do it :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Whilst you'd be fine in one gear (middle chainring), it would feel pretty rough in the other two. If you want to have different gears, look at the range of Sturmey Archer hub gears.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • topdude wrote:
    Good idea, you would need something to take up the varying slack in the chain.
    A rear mech fixed in one position relative to the rear sprocket would do it :D

I've already got a rear mech fitted so I guess I just need a new chain and gear cable/lever
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Whilst you'd be fine in one gear (middle chainring), it would feel pretty rough in the other two. If you want to have different gears, look at the range of Sturmey Archer hub gears.

Why would the other two rings not work well?
    I had a look at those Sturmey Archer hub gears and they do look good. Would I need to buy a new chainring and bottom bracket? And how much do you think Halfords would charge to fit it?