boardman hybrid pro chainring

ajstradey
ajstradey Posts: 8
edited June 2011 in The workshop
hi iv got a boardman hybrid pro with a 2 ring truvativ 50x36 chainset on , what i want to do is fit a 3 ring chainset , has anyone done this or can someone recomend a set to fit , iv called in halfords and they recon a 3 ring off a mtb will fit but i thougt id try on here to see if someone could recomend a lightweight one . i live in wales and was planing a couple of major trips this year so wanted to change the gearing a bit .

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You could fit an MTB, but it would throw the gearing out as you won't get a 50T large chainwheel.

WHY do want to fit a triple, what are you trying to achieve? Is top not high enough, or lowest not low enough?

As I recall the Hybrids use a road style front and MTB style rear, so unless you are planning on off-roading you don't need a lower gear and I doubt you need a higher one with 50/11.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mrwibble
    mrwibble Posts: 980
    why do you want to change to a triple,? its a pointless exercise, you would have to change the front mech to a triple as well. If you really must change the ratio, change the front rings to 46 or 48 and matching inner ring. Bottom line, you are wasting your time and money
  • ajstradey
    ajstradey Posts: 8
    after posting on here and reading the replies i wasnt going to bother replying but i thought it might help someone else out . first of all in anser to the replies ,what gearing you need on your bike depends on the individual , where you live and what you plan on doing with it .after visiting a few bike shops in my area and getting no sense from there as well i decided to do it myself all it took was one look at the shimano website.
    if any body else wants to switch to a triple on a boardman hybrid pro a shimano tiagra 50/39/30 and a hollowtech II bottom bracket will fit , i also changed the front mech to a sora triple . iv had it all on for a few months now and its transformed the bike and i havnt lost any of the gearing i had before , i can now cruise up the hills at my own pace . i havnt been into cycling long around 8 months but after seeing the fuss everybody made about this conversion il be doing all my own repairs in future .