sick of my back wheel

fat lad in lycra
fat lad in lycra Posts: 93
edited June 2011 in Road beginners
as it says, i have 2 road bikes, one is a very cheap claud butler and have never had a problem with it, the other bike is a little better and i use it for nice sunday rides, well i went to watch the british road race champs at stamfordham rode there no problems, i decided to go to another spot and BANG, back wheels is now well out AGAIN, changed gear under power when it happened, had to slacken brakes right off but managed to get back home (19 miles) this is the 3rd ride on this bike and the second time my wheel has done this, the first time not as bad, do you think i need to upgrage these wheels or have i just been unlucky, im really getting annoyed with this bike apart from that its been ok, its nowt special a cannondal caad8 sora 2010

Comments

• MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    How are you fixing them if this is the 2nd time in 3 rides it has happened?
  • first time went back to evens as it was only slightly out, so they trued it back up, only problem is i bought it 6 months ago in the sales
  • MountainMonster
    Hmm, seems they didn't do too great a job of trueing it. Are you an extremely heavy rider by any chance?
  • You're saying your wheel buckled because you changed gear whilst pedalling?
  • ye im a big rider, dont look my weight tho :lol: i hold a lot of muscle tho 8) its strange as my other bike ive had no probs, i do believe i was out the seat when i changed up on power, maybe i put too much stress on it...i should have sat my big ass down :lol:
  • MountainMonster
    The wheel would not go out of true just from a shift change, no matter how badly done it was. You may break the derailleur, or do damage to the drivetrain, but never mess the wheel up.

Sounds like a bad true, or something you hit before is just now surfacing.
  • colsoop
    colsoop Posts: 217
    If your a big guy you may need a more robust wheel. something with a higher spoke count.
  • have you broken a spoke yet? Or is it just going out of true? There's every chance that if you did break a spoke it could have had an adverse effect on the other spokes around it weakening them and causing problems down the line.

What wheels are you on anyway>?
  • there the stock rims maddux.R3.0, no spokes seem to be broken, there all still tight :? ,
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    I can't understand your report. The wheel is untrue, with a BANG. that sounds like a broken spoke, rim failure, or hub flange failure. Yet you imply none of those have happened, and your wheel is untrue? By how much? (does the tyre rub on the frame, for instance?)

Some (poorly built) wheels untrue when first ridden with a tinkling sound, as spokes relieve residual twist. The resulting trueness error is minimal, and usually in smooth waves.

A broken spoke, failed hub flange, or failed rim bed usually results in a local error (a 'bump' on the rim as you spin the wheel), which is bigger the fewer the spokes. (a spoke failure on a 40 spoke wheel is an inconvenience, on a 24 spoke wheel it's ride-ending).

I'm interested to find the cause of your problem, though I'm not clear quite what the problem is.
  • well ive been to evans this morning, explained what happened, bike checked over, wheel trued (no spokes broke) gearing re-set and bike fully checked over and given a clean bill of health, but they were still puzzled as to how this happened without anything failing on the bike with my explanation of what happened.....apart from that i had fantastic service from the staff at the gateshead branch of evans cycles, in and out in 20 minutes and said anymore problems come straight back....i hope i dont tho :lol:
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    there the stock rims maddux.R3.0, no spokes seem to be broken, there all still tight :? ,

It's not a Cannondale by any chance? I've got these on my CAAD8 and it's just blown a spoke (see separate thread)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • aye caad8 but i didnt blow any ???? very strange, hopefully ita all sorted now, the bike has only done 110 miles :cry:
  • as it's only done 110 miles, as stated before it could well be the new spokes bedding in and stretching.....Shouldn't come out of true too much, but i would expect a slight movement on new wheels