Advice?

adampeds
adampeds Posts: 35
edited June 2011 in Road beginners
Hello!

Im really new to road biking and just been up to the local bike shop and explained to him my needs in a bike, basically to get to and from work and to get fitter, so he recommened this bike to me

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/ProductRange/Product/Default.aspx?pc=1&pt=14&pg=7035

I love the retro style of the bike and the aesethics of the bike, but was hoping for your advice on if it will be good to me as a beginner?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Whilst fine as a beginner's bike, you may find it lacking if you get keen and start looking to upgrade. My suggestion would be if that is your budget limit, then look at used bikes - £400 will buy you something that was mid-range 5-6 years ago.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • night_porter
    night_porter Posts: 888
    If I were you I would take the advice of your local bike shop, it looks a reasonably good bike for the money and you will have the assistance of the shop with getting the right size and making simple adjustments for you.

Weight won't make a lot of difference for riding unless you are racing or constantly going up hill. Once you are up to speed the weight is irrelevent and 12kg (26lbs) isn't that heavy anyway. I carry more than 12kg in rack and luggage on my daily commute and that is without the weight of the bike I use.

Buying a 2nd hand bike is only really suitable for people who know exactly what they need (size & components) and are confident enough to rebuild the bike if required.

Similar for buying online, you really need to know enough about size/components/fit/etc. to get a real bargain. You might be lucky but then again you might waste your money.

Imho first timers need the support of local bike shops and vise versa.
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    If you shop around, you might be able to get a Specialized Allez for that money. Just had a quick search on Google and you can get a 56cm or a 61cm framed Allez within your budget.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    You haven't said how far your commute is, what terrain it covers, your general level of fitness (including your weight/height) so its difficult to give any meaningful advice.

For the record my commute is 15miles, climbs 200m and my commuting bike (with lock and rack but no panniers etc) weighs 14kg... so on the face of it that bike will suit.

I personally have some reservations about drop handle bars for commuting paricularly in traffic - my route rarely lets me get into speeds where going onto the drops would be beneficial and the more upright stance of the flat bar allows better visibility over the tops of cars. Also I find the longer wheelbase of the hybrid makes it more predicatable when filtering in traffic on bad road surfaces. By contrast my road bike is great for the open road but far to skittish to be safe in traffic IMHO.

At that price point, and staying with your LBS and that brand, have you looked at the Raleigh Urban 4? A more upright relaxed geometry for commuting and with slightly better components and a triple chainset rather than the compact, plus alloy rather than steel forks which will give a lighter steering feel - but the best advice is to get out there and ride a few different types before making any decision....
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • EarlyGo
    EarlyGo Posts: 281
    adampeds,

Afraid I agree with the others - Specialized Allez for that money. (There are still some heavily discounted 2010 models around.)

Also agree though that first timers are best off with the assistance of their local bike shop; so is there a Specialized dealer anywhere near you? If not, then perhaps the Raleigh if you can get a good discount on the RRP.

Regards, EarlyGo
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    I don't even like the Allez personally, but if as said you can pick one up for the same kind of money, i'd probably go for it.
    But IMLE of that specific bike, i'd have thought the Raleigh represented good VFM. If they're still made as well as my old Chimera, which had similar looks but a heavy cro-mo frame, that was a good strong bike that gave faithful service with all year round commuting I never regretted buying it.
    I like the looks of it, but its bad enough trying to keep celeste bartape clean...with white you've no chance :D ..but thats a minor issue.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    If you like the Raleigh get it, the main thing is to get a bike and get some miles in. Whatever you buy now you'll want to upgrade once the bug bites and you can keep the old machine as a wet day / winter ride.

Personally I'd add 100 quid and get an Allez or a Cannondale CAAD8 mainly because they're a good bit lighter. I buy my own bikes second hand but I'm an engineer and I know what I'm looking at. If you're new to the game a bike with a warranty from a helpful local bike shop is worth a bit extra.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • adampeds
    adampeds Posts: 35
    Hey thanks for all the replies,

optimistic biker, my commute is only like 6 miles, but I live in Cornwall so there is a lot of ups and downs, there is also several different ways to get to work, each having different levels so I should get some good use out of the drop bars, my height is 6ft 2'ish I'm a regular to the gym so my fitness I would say is pretty good, do a lot of heavy squats, so I guess that will help with power in my legs?

Night porter, thanks, I think going with the local shop is the best bet for me, they have already said they will get everything put together for me and get the setup right for me, and I can go back anytime to get advice etc,

Early go, I'm from Cornwall in the middle of nowhere so there isn't many bike shops around and the one I am in talks with don't deal with specialized, and as its a new shop he has already said he will be able to get me a good price on the Raleigh :)

thanks again everyone! I have been struggling to find a starting point when looking for a bike, so maybe this thread will help some other newbs! :)

CHEERS!