my first 20

Daddy2Coull
Daddy2Coull Posts: 58
edited August 2011 in Road beginners
my first 20 miler this morning in 1hr23mins on my mtb, not quite ready for the TDF lol, but it's small steps and i'm really pleased with myself. three weeks ago i couldn't manage 2 miles without dying at the finish.

happy days
To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid......

95kg to 87kg and dropping......

Gary Fisher - Tassajara
Trek - 2.3

Comments

• weedy1
    weedy1 Posts: 143
    'grats !
  • JamieRa
    JamieRa Posts: 82
    well done!

now you need to complete your first 50 miler, and then your first 100 miler!
  • thanks folks

got a 25mile planned for next weekend, norwich train station to lowestoft ness point, most easterly point of uk. if i'm ok with that i'll try a 50

Gary Fisher - Tassajara
    Trek - 2.3
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    When you do the longer ones remember than a banana every hour is your friend :-)
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Phil87
    Phil87 Posts: 4
    thanks folks

got a 25mile planned for next weekend, norwich train station to lowestoft ness point, most easterly point of uk. if i'm ok with that i'll try a 50

What route are you taking to do that? I frequently do Norwich -> Beccles and that comes in at just under 30 miles via National Cycle Network routes so I assume you must be taking the A146?
  • yep, A146 all the way into lowestoft then ness point. according to google maps it's roughly 25miles, i am going to cheat and get a lift there from the lovely wife haha

Gary Fisher - Tassajara
    Trek - 2.3
  • Phil87
    Phil87 Posts: 4
    Have you riden on the A146 before? Personally I haven't (and will never ride on it) having seen on a daily basis how people drive on it!

Unless you're completely happy riding on the A146 I'd take a look at the National Cycle Network route. It's a fair bit longer, but a lot nicer IMO.
  • thanks for that phil87, i'll take a look :)

Gary Fisher - Tassajara
    Trek - 2.3
  • Robbie1958
    Robbie1958 Posts: 148
    yep, A146 all the way into lowestoft then ness point. according to google maps it's roughly 25miles, i am going to cheat and get a lift there from the lovely wife haha

Have you looked at a decent map to see if you can do the ride avoiding the main roads? based in north norfolk, there are thousands of miles of minor roads for me to explore. some of which have grass growing up in the middle. i avoid main roads like the plague, as i am sure many of the riders on this forum do.
    Colnago..............The name on the worlds finest bikes
  • chiark
    chiark Posts: 335
    Good work. It's a real sense of achievement! I'm now working up to 50m, but will probably take 50k as my next target :)
    Synapse Alloy 105 / Rock Lobster Tig Team Sl
  • flyer
    flyer Posts: 608
    good work, I know!

I used to ba able to do 100 miles but had back injury last year, 2 stone heavier now and back to square one. Did 30 miles yesterday but long way to go.

Keep going and each week will get easier and more rawardin/enjoyable

Good kuck

Flyer
  • Thebigbee
    Thebigbee Posts: 570
    Congrats. I can't imagine doing 20 miles on a MTB.

Get a bike with 700c wheels be it a hybrid or a road bike. You will be amazed at the speed you can maintain and realise just how much energy you were wasting spinning those 26" with those gear ratios!!
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    well done. you'll find your body will remember the effort and future 20's will seem effortless.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Thanks for all the advice and encouragement, my new road bike is on order through cyclescheme. Just waiting for the voucher and I'll be the proud owner of a trek 2.3 :)

I did my 25 miles on Saturday, it only took me a few minutes longer than last weeks 20 miles and I was pleased I'd averaged 16.2mph.

I cycle an a average of 20 miles a day now. 7.5 on the way in and a slightly longer route on the way home. It's getting easier e ery day, so I'm thinking of upping to 30 miles next weekend, but my real goal now is 50 miles!!!

Gary Fisher - Tassajara
    Trek - 2.3
  • chiark
    chiark Posts: 335
    It's great, isn't it? I think I'm sort of tracking your progress: it does get easier and faster. I'm fairly sure there'll be a point when it gets a lot harder, and I'm not really looking forward to finding that!
    Synapse Alloy 105 / Rock Lobster Tig Team Sl
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    can't we get you on the London Cycle challenge thingy? cough..Lowestoft is a borough of London isn't it..cough.. 8)
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • kn0bby
    kn0bby Posts: 78
    Congrats...

Sounds like we are at a similar level/stage.. I did my first 25 miler at the weekend, in 1 hour and 36 mins, Although i was tired I could see 30-35 being easily possible, and 50 not a massive mile stone away, but 100 miles seems way off.

Annoyingly I am away this weekend coming but next weekend I am going to plan a 35-40 mile ride.

I want to sign up to some more organised rides but most at 50 / 70 / 100, so think i'm 3-6 months away from them.

Keep at it, will keep an eye on ya progress.

Cheers

Dave.
  • a friend is signing us up to a charity 35 mile in ipswich at the start of august. i'm hoping i can manage it well enough. shouldn't be too bad and more importantly, the new bike will be here in time.

i'm glad i'm not the only newbie here and there are plenty of people to share goals and achievements with. feels good to push each other along. keep it up guys :)

Gary Fisher - Tassajara
    Trek - 2.3
  • Hi Daddy
    Was your charity pedal the Suffolk Coastal?? Hope you coped with the wind ok.
    Ive only joined the forum today, but do a lot of local cycling,based in Beccles, and did the 60 miles on sunday with my son.
    Regarding your Norwich - Lowestoft via A146,,,noooooooo,,,,you can either go from Norwich station via route 1 to Loddon, then cross main road towards Bungay , Beccles etc on country lanes.
    or
    Norwich to Reedham north of the yare,,,,cross the ferry,,,haddiscoe somerleyton etc