Isle of Man TT course record lap...

Comments

• FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373

Pretty damn impressive, 115.356mph average lap. It staggers me the bikes can get to a 131mph average.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Pah, he's still a good 16mph shy of the all-time course record set by a proper man, on a bike. :lol:

Also, his "moment" on bray hill was not even part of his record lap. It was one of the practice runs. Bit cheeky of Subaru to put it in there and pretend like it was.

Still a proper impressive vid though, and a hell of an achievement when you consider how narrow some of the roads are and how little space he had available for mistakes.

Can't see that record being beaten for quite some time. You can't run the supercars round at that sort of speed because of the road surface being so bumpy and some of the course features (dips and jumps) that'd destroy them.

Sadly, I only got 1 (fairly bad) pic of him when he came past.

TT2011070.jpg
  • IcarusGreen
    IcarusGreen Posts: 1,486
    The jump looks impressive but not as impressive as it does on the bikes!
    + 1001 posts reset by the cruel cruel moderators!

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    so, is that lap record better than any other CAR or better than any other VEHICLE?

either way, that was an excellent video. have a bit of a soft spot for subarus and would love to be less pikey and more prepared to pay for the fuel it would cost to run one!!

i like that they have put a proper boot on the back of them again.
  • Ransaka
    Ransaka Posts: 474
    That was proper quick.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    Like that, but doesn't look as good as the bikes
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Just better than any other CAR. That said though, the last (and only other) time a car went round at speed on closed roads it was a Rover back in 1988. :lol:

The top BIKES go round lapping usually in around 130mph. +/-

All-time lap record was set in '09 by McGuinness on the Honda Superbike. 131.5 average and just a touch over 17min.
    Compared to higgins lapping 115.3 with a time of 19:37.

At 115mph, he's still slower than even the slowest qualifier for the superbike races. But only just. He's just about faster than all the sidecars though :D

I've been thinking about this, and I honestly can't think of anything (on 4 wheels) that would get round the course any quicker than the Scooby.
  • dot1
    dot1 Posts: 538
    That's a bit mental :shock:
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Boardman Pro Singlespeed - Sold
    viewtopic.php?t=12752297&highlight=

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    i thought the subaru record was pretty impressive until i found out the previous record holder was one of these:

blogs200811_16.jpg
  • montevideoguy
    montevideoguy Posts: 2,271
    Surely some of those cars you get entering the Pikes Peak challenge could beat it?
    Formally known as Coatbridgeguy
  • Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 Posts: 815
    Surely some of those cars you get entering the Pikes Peak challenge could beat it?

Not poduction cars though
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It sounds like a man gargling under a tin bath
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i thought the subaru record was pretty impressive until i found out the previous record holder was one of these:

blogs200811_16.jpg

no image showing.

But a Rover 827?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Moostah
    Moostah Posts: 27
    so, is that lap record better than any other CAR or better than any other VEHICLE?

either way, that was an excellent video. have a bit of a soft spot for subarus and would love to be less pikey and more prepared to pay for the fuel it would cost to run one!!

i like that they have put a proper boot on the back of them again.

I agree that US version looks so much better than the rubbish hatchback that is in the UK and Europe. I could even be tempted to import one here to Europe (steering wheel is on the correct side at least). Unfortunately the 60 pounds worth of fuel every 2 days it cost to run my last one is just too much (and fuel cost more than it did back then).

But excellent video.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    nicklouse wrote:

blogs200811_16.jpg

no image showing.

But a Rover 827?

Tony-Pond.jpg

The mighty Rover 800 Vitesse. Back in '88
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Ah, it won't let me watch the video, just get sound and some skipped images every now and then. Such a let down, gotta get home to watch it later.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    You would think a WRC car (prepped for tarmac) with a WRC driver (think Matti Latvala) would beat it... but then I suppose that's not production...

Is the Scubby a PWRC car?

Fastest car around that full stop though? Has to be a modern Group B rally car (if such a thing exist's....)

Not many supercar's would make it around in one piece... and the ones that would (think Dodge Viper - it's made of steel girders) would be slow...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    joshtp wrote:
    Not many supercar's would make it around in one piece... and the ones that would (think Dodge Viper - it's made of steel girders) would be slow...
    Probably right. However the scooby which set the lap record did have modified pads, exhaust, springs and dampers. I assume tyres were not road issue either.

I reckon with the same mods, you'd get one of the gazilion 911 variants out there round the course is less time than the scooby managed.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    If I understand it correctly, one of the main problems is ground clearance.
    You can't send a proper super/hyper car round, because the nose is too low and there are so many jumps and little compressions and stuff that they'd be smashed to pieces within a mile or so of the start line. Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, they've all had years where they've operated the course cars, and so far, none of them have been intersted in taking up the challenge. There has to be a reason for that imo.

One possibility I was thinking of was the Ariel Atom. I bet you could set that up to cope without too much sacrifice.

Failing that, a BMW 335d would not only beat the car record, but it'd get round faster than all the bikes too.

I can only assume that the reason they've not done it yet is because it puts out so much torque it would tear up the road.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    actually I was thinking about the Atom... would be a good call I say. And the V8 one would freaking shred!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Failing that, a BMW 335d would not only beat the car record, but it'd get round faster than all the bikes too.

I can only assume that the reason they've not done it yet is because it puts out so much torque it would tear up the road.
    No its because it has enough tourque that when it accelerated it would push the island back towards the main land!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty