Is this frame safe to use?

freehub
freehub Posts: 4,257
edited June 2011 in Workshop
So it appears it may be cracked on the weld where the downtube joins the headtube, but surely if I monitor it and make sure the crack does not change then it should be ok as surely by the location it's unlikely it'll just go?

Could I get a welder to fix this on this particular frame?

DSC00190.jpg

DSC00189.jpg

Cheers.

Comments

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Will, you sure it's the frame? Looks like it could just be the paint to me.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    perfect spot for a failure.

if it is a crack ( I think it is) I would not use it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    The beads on that weld look enormous. How did it ever pass an inspection? If you are going to attempt to repair it then please ensure that the welder concerned is qualified and experienced in welding bicycle frames. Don,t just let any welder do it, are those hairline cracks leading off the weld. Look,s to me that the tube was probably too short and the welder has had to increase the leg length of the weld to compensate. In normal circumstances, Thicker walled pipe this will work, but on thin walled pipe like this it will not hold. Far too much heat in the pipe with as a consequence weakening of the pipe with a chance of failiure Which seem,s to be what happened here.Is the frame still under warranty?
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • freehub
    No the frame ain't under warranty anymore.

The last one of this frame I had cracked at the BB area.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Underside of headtube = highest stressed point on frame and suspect that the crack is an indication of something pretty terminal. Ride it if you wish, but I wouldn't as it could fail suddenly and catastrophically e.g. riding downhill.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    I my opinion (as an ex welder/sheetmetal worker, but not on bikes) it looks like a faulty weld. Notice how the other welding beads are flatter and spread, then look at the crack and there's about 3 welds beads that are short and tucked under. The dirt has entered either the underside of the paint or a crack.

What you can do is find a factory unit with a small shot blaster and take off the paint around that area to examine it. You could also try a welding inspection service who will advise, there should be loads of places near your, many use non destructive tests like ultra sound.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I agree with Monty, bad place for a crack. Also if you get it welded up the heat from the welding will mean you will have to get the frame heat treated meaning a respray will be needed as well. On the balance of costs and hassle I would say it's a new frame.

Is it me or do ali' frames seem to be less repairable than carbon?
  • ademort
    I my opinion (as an ex welder/sheetmetal worker, but not on bikes) it looks like a faulty weld. Notice how the other welding beads are flatter and spread, then look at the crack and there's about 3 welds beads that are short and tucked under. The dirt has entered either the underside of the paint or a crack.

What you can do is find a factory unit with a small shot blaster and take off the paint around that area to examine it. You could also try a welding inspection service who will advise, there should be loads of places near your, many use non destructive tests like ultra sound.

+1 I,m looking at the welds on the side they also look far too big. I still think the tube was too short and to compensate they used a weld with longer leg length which has caused the crack.If that,s the case and you take the frame for inspection then a U/T test will prove it. If you want to take a cheaper route then an M.P.I. test will show any cracks which are not visible to the naked eye. Either way if it proves that the tube is too short then you cannot repair it Whatever happens for reason,s given by other forum members i would not ride that frame.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Assuming it isn't just the paint then you'd be mad to ride that, fair chance it will fail quickly when it does go and if you're doing 30+mph plus or in traffic then it won't be pretty...
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    why why not strip the paint back and see if the frame has gone. its safe to ride if you dont mind breaking your neck.
  • freehub
    Got a new frame.

DSC00193.jpg

DSC00195.jpg
  • ademort
    freehub wrote:
    Got a new frame.

DSC00193.jpg

DSC00195.jpg

That was quick :wink:
    Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Good work on the new frame, Will. Get some daylight photos in "Your Road Bikes" so we can all critique the fit etc. ;)

As an aside, anyone... if Will was to have the frame inspected by a professional and be told that the crack is indeed due to the dodgy weld as described by the folk upthread - who know their welds - would he have any recourse against the manufacturer? I would be mightily p1ssed off, if I were you Will.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • freehub
    Thanks.

I might try find a pro welder to inspect it and then if it is faulty go back to where I got the bike and seek advice from them. I am missed off abit that I've had to go get a new frame but the new frame is sooo much better.

I'd just ebay a new Genesis frame cause they're crap.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    You can always use the old frame as a permanently stationed turbo bike. Remember you don't need brakes and can use fairly heavy and inexpensive equipment just for the spinning and interval training.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4