OT - car paintwork - any tips for removing scratches ?

sws
sws Posts: 81
edited June 2011 in The Crudcatcher
Hi guys, I'll be putting my car up for sale shortly - new one on it's way.

My paintwork has a few surface scratches, round about the driver door handle - ring scrapes likely, and along both rear wings, looks like the car's been brushed by a bush and a couple of door scrapes from other cars in the supermarket carpark.

I'd love to shift these before putting up for sale.

Is it simply a case of T-cut and then car polish ? Having never done this, anything I need to look out for or does anyone have any tips ?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
2010 Trek 1.2
2013 Merida Scultura Comp 903

Comments

• cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    *as it's in the CC and not the hub*

I'd suggest the following:

First off you need to go buy a bag of limes.
    Cut the limes in half (lengthways)
    Squeeze half of said limes onto the affected areas. This serves to clean the areas.
    Go find some coarse sandpaper.
    Rub on the scratch, and at least 50cm in either direction.
    Insert the rest of the limes in your obvious and (using the sandpaper) bash one out.

HTH
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    First try to polish them out if they're light scratches. If not, something like T-Cut + Polish. If that doesn't work, light sanding with 2000grit wet and dry, that will remove them but will also remove / thin the clear coat which can look dulled, but a polish and buff will sort that.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Nitromors
  • sws
    Aha... Catwithnotail, looks like the Hub would indeed be a better home for the question, I like the limes idea, only got pink grapefruits in the fruitbowl though, might be a bit tricky with those.

Thanks Mrfmilo - I'll try the polish first.
    2010 Trek 1.2
  • micksjoiner
    micksjoiner Posts: 409
    burn the fecker and be done with it
    hates dog walkers
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    You just need to limber up a bit first. You'll be fine. Go get a wooden spoon and bite down.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    have you got a ball bag?

if so, use it to rob in the same direction as the scratches, should buff right out.
  • sws
    Superb guys, on second thoughts this is the proper place to post the question, certainly brightening up my Saturday night.
    2010 Trek 1.2
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    if the ball bag technique doesnt work properly, you can follow up with your sphincter which should serve the purpose of filling in the deeper scratches.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Take your car to Birmingham, especially the Kingstanding/Perry barr area and the problem will just go away.

Or alternatively, take the car to any kosovan, give them a pound and it will be cleaned and polished to showroom spec within 30 minutes
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp