Knee pain recovery vs preserving fitness for La Marmotte

mmcloughlin
mmcloughlin Posts: 3
I've been dogged with knee trouble during my training for La Marmotte (next Saturday). Over the past couple of months it's been OK but just over a week ago it flared up badly again during a hill repeats session. I've tried to train since then, but have only managed two 50-60 mile rides. The knee has not been happy at all, particularly since my ride on Thursday night.

I feel that the knee needs rest to recover properly, but I'm paranoid about losing fitness. How much difference wil it make if I don't do any more training between now and the big day next Saturday?

Alternatively, is there any other kind of training I could do that would help preserve fitness without pissing off the knee?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The fitness you have today is the consequence of your training about 4 weeks ago - doing nothing this week will make very difference, in fact you'll probably be better-off for it. Apart from light rides to just keep the muscles moving, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    You don't want to be cycling up those mountains with one leg - rest up now - maybe some very very easy spinning on flat ground just to keep the muscles moving.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Get to your chemist and get some good anti-inflamtories, co-corticoids will work fastest if it justifies them :wink: . Then follow the usual patterns of rest and ice compressions. After the Marmotte take a break from cycling and see if it heals with a good rest. If if comes back then the usual place to begin your investigation is bike set up and shoe/cleat alignment. There are zillions of web pages with advice on this - or splash the cash and go somewhere that does a Retul bike fit where lasers can track any unusual knee movement.
    As far as fitness goes, you aren't going to lose much a week out from the event although it is an individual thing - some people feel sluggish if they don't get some good hard efforts in (short and fast intervals for example) while others will feel rested and relaxed. Clearly your knee needs rest so that has to be the priority.
    Good luck.
  • Thanks for the advice. It's a psychological thing really. I know that I need to rest the knee, but I've been training really hard for this event, and don't want my fitness to slip away. It's reassuring to have you tell me that rest is the best idea.

Fingers crossed that I put in enough work up to this point!
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    I think the advice about resting is something you should take on board. You've definitely put
    the effort and miles in since February and your speed going up hills is hardly sluggish. As
    mentioned up thread, take some anti inflammatory tablets with you, just in case you need them.
    Good luck, I'm sure you'll do well.
  • Paul RS
    Paul RS Posts: 107
    Yep, definately rest it, youre gonna need it working well next weekend. By now, with your training, you should be backing off anyway.

Enjoy the Marmotte, good Luck.
  • welton
    welton Posts: 65
    All the above makes great sense. I am training for a solo ride of the 2011 Tour de France route in September. I started more intense training during the winter and started to have knee problems. The rest aspect is very important and you will not loose that built up fitness. You should be on an easy few days anyway. My experience worked as I eased off the training and checked bike parameters and used anti-inflammatories.
    My knees are now OK but every now and again there is a warning if I act too violently when climbing, particularly when out of the saddle.

So very best of luck for the Marmotte and take it in your own stride.
    Charity Tour de France 2011 ~ The Prostate Cancer Charity. See more at http://www.charitytours.org