Dent Advice Please

Blacktemplar
Blacktemplar Posts: 713
edited June 2011 in Workshop
On the last day of my LEJOG, the bike slid down a pole it was leaning against and hit something solid at the base, leaving a dent in the middle of the top tube . Cue embarrassed eejit standing in Tesco's car park in Wick :oops:

The dent has no cracking round it that I can see, but a trawl round t'Internet yields every opinion from "you're lucky to be alive" to "bit of sticky tape'll cover it up mate"

Would appreciate the thoughts of the hive mind on this - my poor pride and joy is scarred, but I hope it's not fatal........

Thanks in advance.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/1AFw8NU4wzwB7q3XcwVeqQ7a7yPQ7jKM7DO_9gDI6OI?feat=directlink
"Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
Mark Twain

Comments

• chrishd883
    chrishd883 Posts: 159
    Ouch!?!?! And it's your CAAD 9 frame as well...feel sorry for you!

The top tube of the CAAD 8 / 9 frames are liable to dents from side impacts.
    And this is the worst I've seen but Ithink I would still use the bike.
    As gutted as I would be, I'd keep the dent visible for now so that I could check it.
    If it remains just a dent - then keep on ridiing.

I'm not an engineer or bike mechanic but I think I would continue to use this bike.

Does it feel different? Can you hear any new noises?
  • Blacktemplar
    To be honest I can't tell, having said that I've only ridden it since the dent with a beam rack and panniers, so probably need to do a few miles unladen. There doesn't seem to be any cracking round the dent, but your advice is sound - I'll leave it uncovered for now.

It's done about 1500 miles since last chain/service so needs a good strip down and rebuild anyway - will ask LBS mechanic what he thinks as well.
    Mark Twain
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There's practically nothing you can do - the frame is made from heat-treated alloy and very difficult to repair. As said, just keep an eye on things - but the crease is likely to act as a stress-raiser and therefore a crack could propagate from that point in the future - how long it could take is indeterminate, could be tomorrow or 10 years.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    A mate of mine has a similar dent in his Cervelo S1 from stacking it into the barriers at Warwick town centre crits. His seems to be holding up OK and he's a fairly big powerful rider - no guarantee I know but I'd keep riding it.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • One of the hire bikes at Newport velodrome has a big dent in the top tube. My mate considers it his and always asks for it. They would be in a lot of trouble if it failed.
    I would keep riding your bike, but keep an eye on it. Tubes, particularly thin tubes, rely on their cylindrical shape for much of their strength. Dents can severely weaken them. You can stand on the top of an empty coke can - until you make the slightest dent in it.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    The main stresses would be at the top and bottom of the tube, so the dent on the side might be OK, but a close eye on it would be in order.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Blacktemplar
    Thanks to everyone for the replies - pretty much the conclusion I'd arrived at, but good to know ithers think the same. As you say Monty Dog there's nothing I can do, just watch it and make sure it doesn't start to crack.

I'm neither a big (5'10 + 12 stone) nor powerful rider, so here's hoping......

Mind you, maybe I can persuade the missus I now need a new ultralite carbon frame.... :wink:
    Mark Twain
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Thanks to everyone for the replies - pretty much the conclusion I'd arrived at, but good to know ithers think the same. As you say Monty Dog there's nothing I can do, just watch it and make sure it doesn't start to crack.

I'm neither a big (5'10 + 12 stone) nor powerful rider, so here's hoping......

Mind you, maybe I can persuade the missus I now need a new ultralite carbon frame.... :wink:

Does your household insurance not cover that, I'd check that out if I was you!