Dumb question - Prepping track tyres

AlunJ
AlunJ Posts: 40
edited September 2011 in Track
Just got my new track bike and I know I need to prepare the tyres before riding on the boards, I understand I need to sand them down but can't seem to find any kind of tutorial, can anyone advise on what I need to be doing?
Alun

Road: Dolan L'Etape Carbon 105
MTB: 2016 Voodoo Hoodoo

Comments

• edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    http://www.nationalcyclingcentre.com/fr ... tions.html

about 2/3rds down, rub with alcohol, white vinegar or other degreaser, do 3 laps of the cote d'azur
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    just rub down the surface area with a medium or heavy grade paper. doesnt need a great deal work just enough to add abit of wear to the tyre.

remember on the track, the contact area is more of the right side wall of the tyre
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • AlunJ
    cheers both!
    Alun

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    why do you need to sand them? I do not sand mine ever. I just ride couple of laps round the bottom of track, then round blue line for a few laps, doesn't take long.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    why do you need to sand them?

Tyre manufacturers recommend that you do.

That way they can sell you new ones sooner :)
  • AlunJ
    why do you need to sand them? I do not sand mine ever. I just ride couple of laps round the bottom of track, then round blue line for a few laps, doesn't take long.

It's something I've seen done so thought I'd ask, as long as I don't fall down the banking :lol:
    Alun

• I have only ever sanded brand new tyres in case there is some mold release agent left on them. Never bothered after that....
  • oldwelshman
    Two weeks ago a very experienced sprinter ( vet) was at newport and I saw him sand his tyres, then wipe them with white vinegar, went on the track and promplty fell off :D
    He will remain nameless as he was pretty embarassed :D
    I guess if you go too slow it does not nmatter what you do to them :D
  • AlunJ
    :lol: oops!
    Alun

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    I haven't handed mine so far but after a couple of nervous moments intend to next time. Was assured the tubs stuck like poo to a blanket but had a few slips in a paceline when no-one else had problems.
  • oldwelshman
    Pross wrote:
    I haven't handed mine so far but after a couple of nervous moments intend to next time. Was assured the tubs stuck like poo to a blanket but had a few slips in a paceline when no-one else had problems.
    What tyres do you have?
    At paceline speed you should even be ok with new tyres really. Maybe dust and also there are one or two ropey areas on the paceline at newport
  • oldwelshman
    Pross wrote:
    What tyres do you have?
    At paceline speed you should even be ok with new tyres really. Maybe dust and also there are one or two ropey areas on the paceline at newport
  • Richa1181
    Richa1181 Posts: 177
    I've got Ultremo R1's on my track bike, gave them a good wipe down with white vinegar and did 6 laps on the cote d'azur, a bit of zig-zagging on the straights to put some scuff down the left side of the tyre (just in case) and it was fine for the banking after that
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    Was part of the beginners course on Monday night at Newport Velodrome and 6 of us who had not ridden the bikes on the track before were made to sand the tyres down by the coaches before being let out to ride.

Better to be safe than sorry and follow the rules and advice of the coaches.

None of us fell down due to tyres, although one rider did after lifting off the pace a bit too much after dropping off the lead.