Open season for stereotyping ?

MattC59
MattC59 Posts: 5,408
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
Couldn't be easier, fill yer boots !!!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-13621315
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved

Comments

• Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Be fair, Matt, it could have happened anywhere in the UK and there would have been the same reaction. That's the trouble with stereotypes; they stop the terminally weak minded from engaging the brain and prop up their predjudices.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    Have to agree with Crapaud - and nowhere does it even suggest there was only a rush cos it was north o' the border
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Crapaud wrote:
    Be fair, Matt, it could have happened anywhere in the UK and there would have been the same reaction. That's the trouble with stereotypes; they stop the terminally weak minded from engaging the brain and prop up their predjudices.
    True, you should look at the facts instead
  • MattC59
    Don't get me wrong guys, I wasn't stereotyping, I just found it amusing that considering said stereotype, this happened in Scotland.

But:
    "Customer John Donnelly on one of his three "beer runs" to Tesco at Glasgow Silverburn "
    or
    "One customer said the situation was "bedlam" as people phoned their friends and some went home to change clothing to come back and buy more beer."

or from Twitter feeds:
    "Price glitch for beer has literally caused a stampede at the local Tesco. Tempers are flying in car park."
    or
    "Was casually chatting to my dad about the beer situation at Tesco mention 3 crates for 11 quid and he sprints to the car."

I don't remember that happening at my local waitrose a couple of months ago when, due to a mistake, I managad to buy 12 very nice bottles of Rioja for £6.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    MattC59 wrote:
    I don't remember that happening at my local waitrose a couple of months ago when, due to a mistake, I managad to buy 12 very nice bottles of Rioja for £6.

The follow up question to this is - Did you tell everyone you know, post on Facebook and announce it on Twitter?
    Or did you just go home feeling highly chuffed? :wink:

What can be learned from the OP is how quickly word spreads these days. Just ask Ryan Giggs :twisted:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    Seriously, did none of the tesco staff think "hold on this doesn't seem right, let me check with head office, oh look its wrong, i'll change that and save the store money"

or, maybe its a trick by tesco to get more people in the doors, bit of pr - probably still made money on the beer!
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    daviesee wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

The follow up question to this is - Did you tell everyone you know, post on Facebook and announce it on Twitter?
    Or did you just go home feeling highly chuffed? :wink:

What can be learned from the OP is how quickly word spreads these days. Just ask Ryan Giggs :twisted:

I was soooo tempted to post your average Scot wouldn't know what Rioja was purely to see how many bites I got. Feeling a little mischeivous this afternoon.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    You've hit a nerve, Matt!

Just kidding, fellas.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Nice that they stayed off the heroin long enough to get down there.

Anyway, I thought they usually shoplifted it?
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    Xenophobia is NOT being scared of a warrior princess . :lol:
  • BarryBonds
    BarryBonds Posts: 344
    Crapaud wrote:

and the perenially PC from engaging in original or challenging thought
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Ollieda wrote:
    Seriously, did none of the tesco staff think "hold on this doesn't seem right, let me check with head office, oh look its wrong, i'll change that and save the store money"

I was buying a bottle of rioja (born and bred Scottish so I'd never heard of it and thought I would give it a go :lol: ) at my local Tesco a couple of years ago. It wouldn't scan at the checkout, so I jokingly said to the assistant "If it doesn't scan does that mean it's free" after a moments thought they said "Aye alright then" :shock: :shock: :shock:
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • MattC59
    Ben6899 wrote:
    You've hit a nerve, Matt!
    :wink:
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    There'll be a Nigerian fraudulently making money out of it somewhere.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    bompington wrote:
    Crapaud wrote:
    I rest my case:
    New Tesco price blunder sees second beer stampede

A pricing glitch saw Britons cash in as cans of Carling, Kronenberg and Budweiser sold for 17p at Tesco yesterday.

As word spread across the country shoppers rushed to take advantage, with some posting pictures online of shopping trolleys stacked high with bargain booze.

"Everyone get to Tesco at Wath [in Yorkshire] … a crate of 24 bottles is £4, it's like the place has been looted," Dean Prigmore said on Twitter. ...
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Crapaud wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Crapaud wrote:
    I rest my case:
    New Tesco price blunder sees second beer stampede

A pricing glitch saw Britons cash in as cans of Carling, Kronenberg and Budweiser sold for 17p at Tesco yesterday.

As word spread across the country shoppers rushed to take advantage, with some posting pictures online of shopping trolleys stacked high with bargain booze.

"Everyone get to Tesco at Wath [in Yorkshire] … a crate of 24 bottles is £4, it's like the place has been looted," Dean Prigmore said on Twitter. ...
    Does this not leave the door open to more stereotype jokes about the folk of Yorkshire being tight and loving a bargain? :P
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    It leaves the door open to a suspicion that Tesco aren't accident prone, they're doing this deliberately. More column inches.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    pedylan wrote:
    It leaves the door open to a suspicion that Tesco aren't accident prone, they're doing this deliberately. More column inches.

I wish that described my todge.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    pedylan wrote:

I wish that described my todge.

Like Nelson's column mine.

One eye.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."