MTB Dartmoor Staying near Peter Tavy / Tavistock.

markandlynn
markandlynn Posts: 2
edited June 2011 in Routes
Going down to Peter Tavy / Tavistock for two weeks of outdoor fun with the whole family (3 kids aged 12 - 16) in August, walking, mountain biking, rock climing. Was wondering where to look for some good trails and where you recomend we can go / download some routes guide books etc etc :wink: .
For those that know it follow the dog is our approximate skill level. Fitness level is pretty high the youngest has done Ben Nevis and asked to go up it again the day after (the adults refused) :shock: , full 8 / 9 hour days are possible in the second week :lol:

Comments

• Hi mate, there are a fair few hacks around that neck of the woods and there are loads of guide books etc that they sell round these ere parts. BUT don't feel you have to shell out on one just yet.

A place to start is Princetown and there's a trail or three that start next to the plume of feathers, and loop around Burrator Reservoir, they then return to Princetown up an old railway line. You could start at Burrator, and we tend to ride it in all sorts of directions, as there are pros and cons to both. BUT the basic loop is pretty simple and and an easy enough ride for all the family. So start at the pub carpark and follow that rout along, EVENTUALLY it will descend off the moors after taking in two or three Tors along the way. From here you follow the road to the bottom of Burrator reservoir. When you cross over the bottom of it, I'd turn right and then pick up a track that climbs off to the left a few hundred yards down the road. From here it hairpins back on itself and simply follow this pretty much all the way back to Princetown along the old railway line.

If you google map Burrator Reservoir you should be able to work out the railway line route after it crosses the B3212, and work it back to dam part of the reservoir as well as follow it all the way up to Princetown. From there you should be able to see the trail form Princetown across the moor to the car park, just don't turn off that trail.

Its an easy route to follow, its easy enough to ride, with nothing to technical nor anything to cause to many problems. Its also very easy if you do get into any trouble, to bail out, go home, or go and get the car. It is really open to the elements so you have to bear that in mind.

So I hope that helps. if you want something a bit more challenging let me know and I'll dig something else out for you. And if you can't work it out form google maps, a quick google of Burrator MTB loop used to bring up a few sites with it on.

Have fun and I hope you enjoy your time down here in my neck of the woods.
    spontaneity - it can go either way
    www.mtbtv.co.uk
    www.green-bananas.net
  • Just in case I thought this might be a bit helpful as well.

http://www.mtbsharp.co.uk/routes/devon_ ... index.html
    spontaneity - it can go either way
    www.mtbtv.co.uk
    www.green-bananas.net