Am I missing the point?

Tonymufc
Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
I've been noticing recently that there's a lot of women only stuff going on (cycling related). Why? Am I missing the point? Its 2011 ffs, why do organisers or women for that matter feel that they need their own events? Would this be acceptable in the workplace? If there was a men only event what would be the reaction? I thought cycling was supposed to be a unifying thing not a dividing thing?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Tonymufc wrote:
    I've been noticing recently that there's a lot of women only stuff going on (cycling related). Why? Am I missing the point? Its 2011 ffs, why do organisers or women for that matter feel that they need their own events? Would this be acceptable in the workplace? If there was a men only event what would be the reaction? I thought cycling was supposed to be a unifying thing not a dividing thing?

Yeah. White males have it so tough. :roll:
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I think it's so that women are more likely to actually do events rather than be intimidated by loads of 'powerful men'. Lets face it, men and women are different otherwise there wouldn't be different categories for them.

Also, women's events are usually shorter so they can get home and do the washing up before Corrie starts.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    GiantMike wrote:
    Also, women's events are usually shorter so they can get home and do the washing up before Corrie starts.
    I think I'llwatch this for a while and see how it pans out :D
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • /sits down with Matt and offers him the already open packet of Hob-Nobs and also watches with interest

Should we save some for Diesel?
  • Tonymufc
    GiantMike wrote:
    I think it's so that women are more likely to actually do events rather than be intimidated by loads of 'powerful men'. Lets face it, men and women are different otherwise there wouldn't be different categories for them.

But if you were to suggest to a woman that she shouldn't apply for a particular job because of said men, chances are that she'd rip your head off. This isn't a sexist post, its more to do with keeping cycling unified as a pastime/hobby rather than on a competitive/sporting level.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Tonymufc wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:

But if you were to suggest to a woman that she shouldn't apply for a particular job because of said men, chances are that she'd rip your head off. This isn't a sexist post, its more to do with keeping cycling unified as a pastime/hobby rather than on a competitive/sporting level.

WHS ^^^

Last month there was a women-only sportive starting 5 miles from me with a cracking route, etc. I would love to have ridden it, but couldn't as I am male. Not really on, is it??

I can imagine the furore if we dared to run a similar 'men only' event. :roll:
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    I think you’ll find the main difference is that at a women’s event the term cake stop is taken literally in so far that the organisers provide a mixing bowl, some eggs, flour, butter etc baking trays and an oven.
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    It's ok saying you want to enter women only events but you'll feel silly if they all beat you wont you. :oops:

Think about it logically, who in their right mind would want to be blown off by a gang of women every sunday afternoon??? :shock: :shock:

On second thoughts pass me that entry form:lol::lol:
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    Last month there was a women-only sportive starting 5 miles from me with a cracking route, etc. I would love to have ridden it, but couldn't as I am male. Not really on, is it??

the roads are free - anyone can ride on them...
  • ga02clr
    ga02clr Posts: 97
    While I understand peoples complaints that a men's only ride would be considered sexist etc so why have women’s only rides I think it’s very important to consider the typical demographic at cycling events. Very Male heavy.
    I am in a very fortunate position where my good lady also rides and does so at a level where she can comfortably finish a sportive somewhere in a middle group. Would she have been prepared to rock up on her own for her first sportive having no idea of standards riding with a whole group of guys who by physiology should be comparably stronger and quicker? Quite doubtful.
    The point of women only events is so that it reduces the reasons not to get ladies onto bikes. As silly as it may sound to us men, it is less daunting if they are just riding with girls, less pressure to not get in the way of some guy tanking it along and less male ego’s to worry about.
    As with anyone after you know you can do the miles and or ride in a group you become more confident and then you will get more ladies riding in normal sportives and out on bikes in general and more cyclist on the road is a good thing.
    As a previous poster said the roads are free so rather than being upset as a guy your cannot ride a pre determined route with feed stops as it’s a women’s only event, just get out on your bike with some mates and ride till you find a good cafe!
    Hopefully we will see a better mix of the sex’s riding in general and at events in the years to come. Just try not to look to upset when the ladies come flying past.
    :P
  • pauldavid wrote:
    Think about it logically, who in their right mind would want to be blown off by a gang of women every sunday afternoon??? :shock: :shock:
    Do they all swallow though? :twisted:
  • MattC59
    /sits down with Matt and offers him the already open packet of Hob-Nobs and also watches with interest

No need, I'll break out the popcorn :D
  • MattC59
    pauldavid wrote:
    It's ok saying you want to enter women only events but you'll feel silly if they all beat you wont you. :oops:
    I'd just assume that they're better than me.
    pauldavid wrote:
    Yes please !
  • Tonymufc
    I just feel that there's a hint of double standards. We're just as good as men! We can do anything that a man can do! But we want our own events cos we're intimidated by all these blokes. Cake and eat it! If a man were to suggest that a woman was not an equal then no doubt the sexist card would be played to death. You can't have it all your own way ladies.
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Imagine riding in a bunch with a load of women. They would be too busy worrying if their bum looked too big or how 'fit' that guy on Corrie was.

Woment can't really ride properly anyway so to me it makes sense they have their own event.

Waits with fishing rod in hand (Please note the word 'fishing' is there)
  • rick_chasey
    Tonymufc wrote:
    I just feel that there's a hint of double standards. We're just as good as men! We can do anything that a man can do! But we want our own events cos we're intimidated by all these blokes. Cake and eat it! If a man were to suggest that a woman was not an equal then no doubt the sexist card would be played to death. You can't have it all your own way ladies.

Yeah, men have such a tough time getting involved in sport.

I mean, all you ever see are women on the TV, riding the Tour, in the premiership, in Formula 1.

Oh.. Wait...

Next you'll pull out the Boris Becker line that it's outrageous the women tennis players win the same amount of prize money as the mens.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    It's outrageous the women tennis players win the same amount of prize money as the mens
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    I completely understand single sex races. That makes sense. But events like sportives should be aimed at both. If there are very few women entrants then the organisers need to make an effort to make their event attractive to women. It's like everything else though. Historically white males have had things all their own way and other shave been discriminated against, wrongly. It now seems like discrimination is ok as long as it is against those who havce done the discriminating in the past. For example there is a Black Police Society. Can you imagine the uproar if someone tried creating a White Police Society?
  • rick_chasey
    Keith1983 wrote:
    I completely understand single sex races. That makes sense. But events like sportives should be aimed at both. If there are very few women entrants then the organisers need to make an effort to make their event attractive to women. It's like everything else though. Historically white males have had things all their own way and other shave been discriminated against, wrongly. It now seems like discrimination is ok as long as it is against those who havce done the discriminating in the past. For example there is a Black Police Society. Can you imagine the uproar if someone tried creating a White Police Society?

It's obvious why. There needs to be a redress of balance. These examples are there to balance out existing issues.

The police thing is a classic example. The police has a history of being discriminatory, so they set up societies to redress that.

How many women do you see turn up to, say, the Etape du Tour?
  • pauldavid
    Tonymufc wrote:

It just gets better, you set out on a sunday morning to get blown off by a load of women cyclists and then there's cake as well.

Welcome to paradise gentlemen! :D
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    It's outrageous the women tennis players win the same amount of prize money as the mens

It's outrageous that two people of identical stature, strength and endurance, play by different sets of rules just because of their sex. And one gets paid more for doing considerably less work.
    "Coming through..."
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid wrote:
    Do they all swallow though? :twisted:

If your referring to the post ride/blow off cake, then of course they do!!! :D
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    interesting timing....

at Sea Otter this year, there was an apparently planned 'Ladies Day', full of wimmin friendly events....

after a complaint by some crazy gentlemens league....sea otter just said....well...men are welcome too....but the honest intention is to be as inclusive to the fairer sex as possible...in a heavily male dominated sport.

And I think that is the point...the sport is male dominated....and getting more women involved is to be encouraged.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • pauldavid
    TuckerUK wrote:

It's outrageous that two people of identical stature, strength and endurance, play by different sets of rules just because of their sex. And one gets paid more for doing considerably less work.

It's outrageous that some of the womens wimbledon matches are being played across teatime. Surely this dictates that some bloke somewhere is having to wait until some ungodly hour for his evening meal and depending what time she left the house to get to the match the likelihood is that the ironing/hoovering etc never got done that day either.

Incidentally I hope the wife gets back from Asda soon, I could do with a cup of tea I'm parched
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc wrote:

I mean, all you ever see are women on the TV, riding the Tour, in the premiership, in Formula 1.

Oh.. Wait...

Next you'll pull out the Boris Becker line that it's outrageous the women tennis players win the same amount of prize money as the mens.

Did you need read my previous post. I wasn't referring to a competitive level. I was talking about recreational/hobby/enthusiast level. But as per you're trying to twist it. So I say to you sir that you are a c0ck!
  • MattC59 wrote:
    /sits down with Matt and offers him the already open packet of Hob-Nobs and also watches with interest

No need, I'll break out the popcorn :D

Starting the weekend off as you mean to go on huh, getting the first slap in early, profit. :lol:
  • Tonymufc wrote:

Oh.. Wait...

It is outrageous. Would you be happy if a woman did the same job as you, worked less hours but got paid the same?
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    GiantMike wrote:
    :lol::lol:

I also think it's wrong to have women-only events. Who is going to fix my punctures or put my chain back on otherwise? :wink:
  • Tonymufc
    Ands wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:
    :lol::lol:

I also think it's wrong to have women-only events. Who is going to fix my punctures or put my chain back on otherwise? :wink:

Ands, all joking aside what is your honest opinion? The thread wasn't meant as a sexist dig (although some have tried to make it into one) my point was merely that this is supposed to be a pastime that unites regardless of sex/race/ even occupation. As for having my ar*ed kicked ny a woman it really doesn't bother me. It'd just mean that she's fitter, faster, stronger etc.
  • StageWinner
    StageWinner Posts: 202
    Tonymufc wrote:

Oh.. Wait...

It is outrageous. Would you be happy if a woman did the same job as you, worked less hours but got paid the same?

Of course. That way she'd get home before me and dinner would be on the table when I got home.