Northern Rock Cyclone - state your aims!

jomoj
jomoj Posts: 777
Riding the cyclone challenge this saturday? What distance are you riding and what's your target time - if any?

I'll start off -

ride B, (66 miles) aiming for sub 4 hours.

Originally aiming for 3:40 but injury and illness have disrupted my 'training plans' such as they were. Last year I more or less rode it solo, hopping on a few wheels here and there but this year we have a 4 man posse so hopefully can drag each other round a bit quicker.

Joe

Comments

• wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    doing the 107

if I can get up all the hills without any walking and get round in under 8 hrs, I will be delighted

and amazed

hope the weather's good for you
  • Leesykoi
    Leesykoi Posts: 338
    I'm also doing the 107miles (although since i'm riding to the start i'll hopefully be doing 113miles all in).

Had a tough time with injury and a bad crash this year so really just hoping to get round without walking too many hills.

Really looking forward to it as i've got some L2P riders i met last year staying at mine so we are hoping to make it a good weekend !!!

Lee.
    I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!
  • jomoj
    I doff my cap to you both, had aspirations of doing the long one this year but realised I just wouldn't have the time to train.
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    107 miles, aiming for sub 6.30 this year now I know the course from last year and where to pick time up.
  • jomoj
    Forgot to add, post a follow up after the event to say how you got on
  • Bio ace
    Bio ace Posts: 3
    Sub 5:30 on ride c- the 107
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    Can I aim to get my tax money back that helped bail them out??
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • wiffachip
    rozzer32 wrote:
    Can I aim to get my tax money back that helped bail them out??

yes, let us know how you get on
  • Leesykoi
    Don't suppose anyone has a gpx or tcx file for the 2011 ride c route (think it may have changed slightly from last year) ? If you have any chance you can PM me ?

Thks.

Lee.
  • shieldsman
    shieldsman Posts: 58
    Like others- doing the long one and just planning to get round in about 8 hours- 7.30 would be great given my erratic 'training' Looking forward to the crit on Friday as well and going out to watch the National Champs on the Sunday. Should be a great weekend! Just seen early forecast for Saturday though...
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    Doing the 107 miler and going for a 5.45
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • jards666
    jards666 Posts: 18
    doing ride B and aiming just to grizz it and finish!!

been in afghan for the last 3 months so done no training for it what so ever :lol:

probably goin to treat myself to a garmin 800 so will be a good test for that
  • Ad Hynkel
    Ad Hynkel Posts: 17
    Ride C.

Where did the extra 3 miles over last year come from?

Anything near to 7.30 and I will be happy.
  • jomoj
    Not sure but must be on the part of the route shared with ride b.

Forecast had improved at least
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    There is a road closure due to a weakened bridge at Meldon so we have to take a diversion towards Bolam then back to Dyke Neuk
  • wiffachip
    as well as the extra 3 miles, there's some roadworks this year which could add to rider's times

bridges at Hartburn and Rothbury have lights and you have to walk across the bridge at Wark

Drove through Otterburn last night and there are 3 way lights on the main road

be interesting to see how much RLJing goes on
  • carbon337
    carbon337 Posts: 414
    Doing Ride B - 66 miles hoping for a 3:35 > 3:45 but never done it im not to sure how that will go.
  • Leesykoi
    OK, just how BAD is the 107mile route ??

Done quite a few century rides before and coped OK and had a great week riding in Majorca in April.

As per my earlier post suffering from a real bad knee (long standing ligament problem) and had a bad off about a month back.

Is Ride C something i can just spin and grind it out OR should i wimp out and go on the 60mile route ?

Any advice on previous experience's welcome.

Lee.
  • Ad Hynkel
    Ad Hynkel Posts: 17
    Leesykoi, there are a couple of short and steep hills, one near Bellingham and then the Ryals, which is nearer the end and probably makes it feel steeper. And quite a few longer steady ones. I seem to remember they do add up to over 2000m. In fact checking website it says 2374m and looking at the maps you will have to do the Ryals on Ride B anyway. I guess if you have the gearing to spin your way up the hills then get stuck in. If you are worried your knee could suffer I would say stick to B and enjoy the day out more for the social.

It's not the Fred Whitton but it's pretty up and down mind...
  • Leesykoi
    Thks for the reply Ad Hynkel.

Since i have people coming to visit for the ride i'm going to MTFU. Good strapping, pain relief and a belief in finishing hopefully will see me through.

May not be fast but i'll get there !!!
  • wiffachip
    good choice, if i can get round, anyone can

forecast getting better all the time
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    Forecast has nosedived, looks like a wet day until mid afternoon.
  • bluehelmet
    bluehelmet Posts: 156
    brin wrote:
    There is a road closure due to a weakened bridge at Meldon so we have to take a diversion towards Bolam then back to Dyke Neuk

T'is true but they've built a handy foot bridge on the left side - accessed down the dirt track to the side of the works compound - if you want to save yourself those extra 3 miles...
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    Yes i know, i went over it other month, problem is tho you have to access the building depot 1st and there was a lot of loose gravel/chippings about, anyhow imagine the queue if 3,000 cyclists opted for your suggestion? - think i'll stick with the extra miles.
  • bluehelmet
    bluehelmet Posts: 156
    Did the 63 miler in a leisurely 3h 58. Set off at 7:40 in the rain and didn't see another cyclist till I got to Stamfordham.

As an added bonus I followed the ladies Garmin team out for a ride before the nationals tomorrow for a few miles between Medburn & Callerton... :D
  • jomoj
    Came in at 4:13 so missed my target but enjoyed it anyway. Weather was ok in the end, feel a bit sunbaked
  • carbon337
    carbon337 Posts: 414
    Managed a 3:39 for 67 miles. Rode with Ned Boulding (sp?) off of the telly and a Rapha condor rider. Hopefully get a pic with me in front of ned on the ryals.
  • mr_sj
    mr_sj Posts: 507
    had a great time today, my first sportive and the longest ive ever ridden in one go as im still pretty new to this cycling stuff.

did the 67 miler and was hoping for around 4 hours, finished in 3:59:30 :D the hill around the 50 mile mark nearly finished me off but the guy behind doing some primal scream of sheer agony really kept me pushing on and laughing, ride home afterwards was slow and painful but i'll be back next year
  • wiffachip
    bluehelmet wrote:
    Did the 63 miler in a leisurely 3h 58. Set off at 7:40 in the rain and didn't see another cyclist till I got to Stamfordham.

no wonder you didn't see anyone, the first group didn't start till 8

just sneaked in under 8 hrs meself like, but walked the first ryal, half a result, troughend common was hard work, so was billsmoor

did anyone see the lass that hit an island after 50 yards ? didn't look good
  • mr_sj
    mr_sj Posts: 507
    on the 67 mile ride there was a hill around the 50 mile mark and at the top were 3 photographers, anybody know which website those pictures usually appear on ? would like to see what state i was in at that point !