Expected Average speed

stuartturbo
stuartturbo Posts: 69
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
I know this is a depends on route blar blar
On third trip getting above 15mph so currently happy
Hope to make the journey in about an hour
Is the do able on a tricross??? with 700x32c tyres
I am a big lump 119kg and fitness level is a bit low!!! currently so up hill is a struggle

Route http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=2 ... 9,0.308647
my route wrote:
2011-06-22 06:01 (End)
Created by My Tracks on Android.

Total Distance: 30.83 km (19.2 mi)
Total Time: 1:15:37
Moving Time: 1:13:47
Average Speed: 24.46 km/h (15.2 mi/h)
Average Moving Speed: 25.07 km/h (15.6 mi/h)
Max Speed: 53.59 km/h (33.2 mi/h)
Min Elevation: 45 m (147 ft)
Max Elevation: 123 m (405 ft)
Elevation Gain: 251 m (823 ft)
Max Grade: 8 %
Min Grade: -6 %
Not that bad but bad enough for me
Route1.jpg

Comments

• HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Dependent on traffic lights more than anything else! And traffic . . .And obeying the highway code . . .

but, 3rd trip, 119kg , 75kg, is pretty good going indeed. Most do-able on the tricross - I would maybe swap the tyres for something a little less weighty. Good luck!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yep, good going.

Agree that you should go for a less chunky tyre. 28mm?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Yep, good going.

Agree that you should go for a less chunky tyre. 28mm?

+1, especially if the tyres you use have knobs on. Some nice, slick 28s and you'll be flying.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Depends on wind too. If the route is pretty flat, and you have a good tailwind, you could easily average 25mph plus. However, unless the wind changes, you might do well to halve that on the return!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    On my return route which is only mildly hilly I'm happy to see an average of 17-18mph. 19.8 is PB.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Moving average on 57miles from London to Brighton a few weeks ago was 16mph, same as London to Ashford on Saturday, also 57miles after I forgot where I was going briefly.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I can now achieve an average of 13mph on my 8 mile loop and have even managed a few rides above 14mph avg :D:wink:
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I am usually around the 15-16 mph mark depending on how enthusiastic I am feeling !
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    suzyb wrote:
    I can now achieve an average of 13mph on my 8 mile loop and have even managed a few rides above 14mph avg :D:wink:

Glad it's not just me that's relatively un-fast :D

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    It isn't the absolute speed that's important (too many variables) but the improvement. Keep at it.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Similar weight to you.

It really does depend on route.

If I do via CS7 on my route from Worcester Park to Old Street, over 13.3 miles I average 14 miles (total) per hour on a good day door to door bad days take 60 mins + so that's even lower. However if I go via Richmond Park and Embankment or Even Garratt Lane and Embankment that goes up to 15mph on a bad day and 16.5 mph on a good day.

A lap of RIchmond park best time is 21:45 which equates to about 19mph. Now RP isn't flat so give me 7 miles of flat road with no stops and I'd be above 20 no problem.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    edited June 2011
    I average the uphill (home) direction of the route below (1250ft of climbing, 16.3 miles) at 16.2mph weighing in at 95kg and 46 years old on a road bike. But, as I say, there's loads of variables so the speed is a bit meaningless.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I usually average around 17mph over my 15 mile commute, very occasionally crack 18mph.

But I ride out into the countryside, very few junctions, two sets of traffic lights (one of which I can bypass on the cyclepath), only one section where I pass traffic, for the rest of the time there's either no traffic at all or it's all freely flwoing past me.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I average the uphill (home) direction of the route below (1250ft of climbing, 16.3 miles) at 16.2mph weighing in at 95kg and 46 years old on a road bike. But, as I say, there's loads of variables so the speed is a bit meaningless.
    How smug did you feel zooming past all the cars delayed with the bridge roadworks :lol: