Back into the saddle, advise on spec please

flyer
flyer Posts: 608
edited June 2011 in Road beginners
After just a few years of regular cycling I had a back injury about 9 months ago and sold my Roubiax.

I am now much improved and ready to get back on the saddle, and looking to buy a new bike, I have up to £2000 to spend and looking for some guidance please.

I certainly want a “relaxed geometry” however would prefer a change from Specialized, which of the following would you say is a priority when choosing a bike.

Carbon or aluminium frame

105/Ultegra/SRAM group set and double or triple?

Wheels /tyres

Given that since I stopped riding I have put 2 stone on and now weigh 15st 11Ib is a carbon still an option?

The only bike I have looked at on line is the Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105

I ONLY RIDE ABOUT 30-40 MILES TWICE A WEEK IT’S PURELY FOR FITNESS AND WEIGHT LOSS

Much appreciated

Flyer

Comments

• Xommul
    Xommul Posts: 251
    Since you cycle only a few miles and want a more relaxed geometry why not buy a hybrid with flat bars, you could still go carbon.

The decisions you are asking are usually asked by people looking at doing a lot more miles and possibly race.

Save your money, buy a light aluminium with a medium range groupset. You can get a seat post with suspension to make life easier on your back.

You can get 2 bikes for 2k, buy a mountain bike aswell and branch out your cycling.

Just some thoughts!
    MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
    Road Rose Carbon Pro RS Custom
    Canyon Spectral AL 7.9 29er
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    That's good advice.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • flyer
    flyer Posts: 608
    Ok I can see the benefits, however I would rather have a bike that I know I wouldn't need to change for a while. I know that 80 miles a week may not sound much but I would like to do it on a bike that is capable of doing more. I hope to do more as time goes on and already have a Siruss sport flat for around town etc

Flyer
  • ascurrell
    ascurrell Posts: 1,739
    You could go for Titanium, frame would last a lifetime and very forgiving on back problems. Something like this which could be built and specced higher than this example, also the Planet X one looks good.
    Cheers, Scurry
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... l-10-35377
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    edited June 2011
    flyer wrote:
    Ok I can see the benefits, however I would rather have a bike that I know I wouldn't need to change for a while. I know that 80 miles a week may not sound much but I would like to do it on a bike that is capable of doing more. I hope to do more as time goes on and already have a Siruss sport flat for around town etc

Flyer

Any half-decent bike from roughly £600 upwards will do what you're asking. It comes down to how much you want to spend, and what floats your boat. You've got a decent budget so tonnes of choice out there.

Comfort and fit should be a priority for you. So really, you need to try a bunch of bikes and find what suits you, and which bike makes you want to ride it.

The back injury probably makes it even more important than usual that the bike fit is correct, so you should try to visit some knowledgeable shops, and consider budgeting for a professional bike fit - that would likely be some of the best money that you could spend - far more important than shaving a few grammes of weight off the bike or getting a higher-spec component or two, none of which make much difference to performance.
  • ascurrell
    ascurrell Posts: 1,739
    flyer wrote:

Flyer

As I said Titanium, have a shop around, nothing wrong with buying a 2nd hand Ti frame wil probably outlast all of us.