One of those perfect commutes ....

KonaMike
KonaMike Posts: 805
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Woke up this morning at 6 to find it belting down with rain and pretty windy,had breakfast whilst dreading the prospect of yet ANOTHER soaking this week .
But then suddenly the commuting gods intervened and by the time I left the house at 8:30 the sky was blue,the wind had died and the roads were 80% dry !!
During the ride in my luck continued,every set of lights was green,traffic allowed me to filter without trying to kill me, a fellow cyclist gave me a wave,my legs felt good....I even got flashed out of a junction by a Bus !!!

I just thought I would share my story of a perfect commuting morning as tomorrow I will be soaking wet,nearly killed,swearing,shaking my head,fixing a flat and wondering why I bother :roll:

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Mike,

you're still asleep mate - this is a dream. You're going to wake up in a minute and find that God has just dumping a hailstorm in a 1 mile circle around your house
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • KonaMike
    Mike,

you're still asleep mate - this is a dream. You're going to wake up in a minute and find that God has just dumping a hailstorm in a 1 mile circle around your house

:lol: Bugger!! I thought it was too good to be true,if I had realised it was a dream I would have thrown Kelly Brook in there at some point !!! :wink:
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Mike,

:lol:
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Had a similar ride in - got lucky at the lights, big tailwind, bumped into a clubmate and took turns blasting through Dulwich to Elephant & Castle. On the beers tonight so I might just leave the bike at work and avoid the likely headwind!
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    Sounds lovely :P

Sometimes, just sometimes, commuting is awesome like this. Makes up for the rest of the time :P
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    KonaMike wrote:
    Mike,

:lol: Bugger!! I thought it was too good to be true,if I had realised it was a dream I would have thrown Kelly Brook in there at some point !!! :wink:

too late mate- she was in my dream - sadly driving a 4x4 over my bike
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • KonaMike
    spen666 wrote:
    KonaMike wrote:
    Mike,

too late mate- she was in my dream - sadly driving a 4x4 over my bike

What a waste of a Kelly Brook dream appearance !! :roll: :)
  • I had a nice ride in today too.....

.... then I arrived at work :(
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I had a bollox ride in. It was damp but I live with that. Just before the Kessock bridge, a whole swarm (OK 5 - it was enough) of fair weather bike commuters appeared from the turning in front of me. The bridge is being fixed so is down to a contraflow so extra "nodder" traffic :roll:

Anyhow, I managed to pass one but then arrived at the back of a big bloke behind a woman with panniers. I asked to pass but he said it was too narrow. I was patient and waited (the kilometer) until after the bridge. He then proceeded to pass the two folk in front. I asked again to pass but he just sped up (not enough). A bit further on, I asked again - still no joy. Finally we arrived at the crossing - I pointed out all the crap down my front that his rear tyre had covered me with, saying "Nice. Thanks". He said nothing and went the other way.

A bit further on and I came off on a small bridge through the park behind work. I was straight & level but my back just stepped out, fortunately unclipped quick enough to avoid going completely down but a cut to my knee and graze to my elbow.

Finally arrive at work to find some ass had nicked my shower gel from the shower!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    This thread is Yin and Yang in action.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Dreadful commute today, I'm in the car as I have to collect my daughter from school at 4:45 - could it get any worse?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    least you get to finish work early
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No 8-4:30 every day.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • least you have a daughter....
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    EXACTLY the same for me (must have been a Wales thang) Only difference is I was already committed to the car by the time I realised that the sky was blue.

However at one O'clock I drove home, slipped into Lycra and got in a gorgeous 15miler. Shot back to the office (slipping on jeans and a rugby top over the lycra - the colleagues are not yet ready to take the full wattage) and am now back at my desk plotting going home the loooong way as the Mrs is picking up the blighter this afternoon. :D

Blinking windy out there though!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    left work at 10pm last night and the roads where lovely and clear, great fun whizzing home in the dark, forgotten how nice night riding is.
  • KonaMike
    Well its an hour until home time and the sky is still blue so I am hoping for a repeat of this mornings positive experience....... now I have said that I am guaranteed a flat !!
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Great ride in this morning, 5 mins faster than my best (noob). Crap ride home, struggled all the way against the wind and it took me 25 mins longer than the journey in. Horrible.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    edited June 2011
    good ride in this morning, weather was looking grey but i had a day off yesterday so was feeling fresh, got within a mile an half from work an the heavens opened, absolutely soaked through was still giggling like a school girl though i love the rain, hate the wind though
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • KonaMike
    Another nice ride in this morning,but just to stop me getting too cocky the commuter gods made sure I forgot my boxer shorts :roll:

So now I am going Commando in very itchy and uncomfortable work trousers !! :oops:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I had a much better ride in - not a single nodder to be seen (I think they've run out of puff by Thursday)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH