canyon Nerve XC 7.0

stubs
stubs Posts: 5,001
edited June 2011 in Your mountain bikes
5799068705_80e4c8040f_z.jpg
5799071975_d1f41995ee_z.jpg
5799083311_c16f5d85d6_z.jpg

My new bouncer. Not another flaming Canyon :lol: there everywhere at the moment.

Awesome spec and very well made frame with lovely even welding. The bike came out of the box all properly built just needing the wheels sticking in and the bars bolted on. The valves on the wheels are even lined up with the logos on the tyres. The gears didnt need tweaking and the only changes I have made have been grips and saddle.

The ride is so plush its like a magic carpet bumps what bumps it just hoovers them up without slowing down. Suspension is surprisingly active with a lot of pedal bob but you dont notice the suspension is working unless you look down and watch the rockers bobbing up and down. Its a bit easy to get facinated with watching the rockers bobbing up and down below you till you nearly hit a tree :oops:

Only thing I am not keen on is the DT SWiss X1700 wheels the rims are surprisingly narrow and the freehub is very crude you need to turn the cranks quite a bit before it hooks up.

Havent had a chance to give it a proper beasting yet and the sag on the shock needs a bit of tweaking I had it too soft at first then went too hard just a few psi seems to make a big difference.

Cant wait for next weekend.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Comments

• Oh man...I thought I was special. Awesome bike isn't it?

Not had any problems with the rims, still true as anything.
    On-One Whippet Singlespeed
    Raleigh Airlite 400
    On-One Fatty (for sale)
  • stubs
    edited June 2011
    Oh man...I thought I was special. Awesome bike isn't it?

Not had any problems with the rims, still true as anything.

Nothing wrong with the rims just feel like they are too narrow for the tyres. Been used to wider Mavic XM719 rims and these look a little spindly next to them. Dont like the freehub though it seems a real let down in quality compared to the rest of the bike. Would have preferred say SLX drivetrain and a higher quality DT Swiss 240 star ratchet rear hub.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs
    Oh and yes it is an awesome bike :D
  • Hi there. Nice ride. Just in the process of ordering an Nerve 8.0 in Monza red even though there is a wait. What size is your frame and how tall are you?
    BTW nice bike.
  • stubs
    Its a medium (18.5 inch) and I am 6 foot.

I very carefully measured myself following the instructions for the PPS calculator on the Canyon website, you need 2 people and a spirit level to get everything spot on. I was worried because if I increased my inseam measurement by 2 cm it reccomended a large so I copied down all the measurements for the medium frame and then compared it too my On One Scandal hardtail. Apart from a slightly shorter by top tube (595 against the Scandal 605) everything compared almost identically.

I stuck with the medium and I am glad I did the large with a 25 mm longer top tube would have been like a barge. Havent done any really long rides yet but everything seems to fit me just fine, will try out a spare layback seatpost to see if it makes any difference just need a shim to make it fit which I will get tommorow.
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Hoping I can stretch to this but would not be dissapointed with the XC 6 spec.

How slack does it feel head angle wise?
  • stubs
    All the specs are pretty damn good you wont be dissapointed with either. Head angle feels nice and balanced its not a muscle into the corner bike but it also doesnt feel like the front end is going to tuck in. Havent done any fast downhill stuff yet but testing it down a flight of steps off a bridge it felt controllable didnt feel like I was going to tip over the front.

If you want soemthing a bit slacker have a look at the AM version, Poppit has just got one http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12780374 whichever model or spec level you get you will be gobsmacked at the quality of the frame it is beautifully welded.
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Im actually after a tighter head angle. Had a Commencal Meta and I think it was too much travel generally than what I needed so looking to get an 120mm XC based bike and all roads point towards the Nerve range.
  • stubs
    Its definitely quicker steering than a Meta I had the Super 4 which is the Commencal cross country bike and it is a little quicker steering than that.
  • Mikerr
    Mikerr Posts: 5
    Hi,

I ordered the Nerve XC 7 last week, got a delivery date of wk28, was stuck myself between the AM and XC but I thought for my riding style and weight (11st) the XC seemed more appropriate. stubs What part of Lancashire are you from? I'm also in the flat bit haha
  • stubs
    Mikerr wrote:
    Hi,

I ordered the Nerve XC 7 last week, got a delivery date of wk28, was stuck myself between the AM and XC but I thought for my riding style and weight (11st) the XC seemed more appropriate. stubs What part of Lancashire are you from? I'm also in the flat bit haha

Formby and its a lot flatter than Ormskirk. By comparison Ormskirk is the Alps :lol:
  • Mikerr
    Hahaha i'd have to agree with that, was in Formby yesterday, went for a ride along the Cheshire Lines then went for a mince pie on the beach... as you do mid summer
  • stubs
    Mikerr wrote:
    Hahaha i'd have to agree with that, was in Formby yesterday, went for a ride along the Cheshire Lines then went for a mince pie on the beach... as you do mid summer

I was up at Rivington yesterday where I broke the Nerves crash virginity. Flying down the drop from the TV mast to Belmont and the chain came off when I landed a dropoff over a waterbar I ended upside down in the heather. Luckily the bike was fine apart from twisted bars, twisted saddle and a missing brake hose clip. I on the other hand can hardly move this morning and my knee keeps weeping blood plus the bruises are going to be spectacular tommorow I expect a full rainbow of colours. :lol:
  • Mikerr
    Ah bad times, doesn't sound too good that. Had a similar experince last week in Gisburn, nothing a hammer and thick newspaper couldn't fix :lol:
  • Mikerr
    stubs
    Did I see you riding through Southport on Monday night? Saw someone on the XC 7.0 in black going across the bridge from the Matalan retail park towards the town centre...
  • stubs
    No not me.