Great Western Sportive

vs
vs Posts: 468
Did this today. Lovely 105 miles on mostly very quiet and well surfaced roads with excellent signage. Managed to average 20mph for the first 80 miles, the last 20 weren't so good. :wink:

Pros:
Great roads with little traffic.
No queues.
Excellent signage. Loved the orange ribbon tied to trees between signs just to let you know you were on course.
Later start for the shorter route.
I didn't see one gel wrapper.
It was warm and dry.
The timing chips worked.
Great tee shirt!

Cons:
Could have done with a little more savory food although those with a sweeter tooth probably wouldn't agree.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/93461280

Comments

• torico
    torico Posts: 67
    Yep got fed up of flapjack and we saw a rather distressing incident on fox hill with a rider being attended to by paramedics. Any news on that incident as it didn't look good, let's hope the rider was okay
  • torico
    torico Posts: 67
    Yep got fed up of flapjack and we saw a rather distressing incident on fox hill with a rider being attended to by paramedics. Any news on that incident as it didn't look good, let's hope the rider was okay
  • Agree - a top event - will definitely do again next year - hopefully I won't miss the left turn in Chilton Foliat again - this resulted in going right down to the A4 and back - an extra 3.2 miles.
    And I'll know next time how sharp the turn in is to the Finish - I overcooked it, screeched to a halt before a high kerb and promptly fell off - had to limp over the line !

Apparently the rider on Fox Hill collapsed and stopped breathing - they did CPR and then took him off by ambulance - there was no sign of any police so it wasn't an accident. I asked a paramedic if he was going to be ok but his expression didn't bode well for the unfortunate chap.
  • cojones
    cojones Posts: 131
    I disagree on the quality of the signage...it was my first sportive and I was on course for a gold standard in the short route (after 40 odd miles) but I took the right onto the mid/long route rather than the left on to the short route. Ended up doing the 83 mile mid route, but still came in less than 0.25mph outside the silver standard, so an achievement even if it wasn't my original aim!

Having to read the words on the yellow signs was difficult at 25mph. It would be much better to colour code the routes as well.

I also saw the incident, with CPR continuing for the whole time it took me to climb the hill. Really didn't look good. No news on local websites today though, so fingers crossed he's ok.
  • vs
    I disagree on the quality of the signage...it was my first sportive

You missed the split, that's unfortunate.

However some sportives have you riding for miles when there is no turn and you start to feel that you have missed a sign, at least here there were constant reminders, ribbon or a straight on sign.
    It would be much better to colour code the routes as well.

I was only looking for the orange signs but I thought the short course signs were yellow, I could be wrong however.
  • cojones
    cojones Posts: 131
    heh heh, 'unfortunate' - yes that's the word that was going round my head when I realised!! I take full blame for going wrong, I was obviously enjoying it too much!

The yellow signs are 'information' signs and show where the routes split, not necessarily just the short route. I think maybe larger fonts on the signs would work better. I agree with the frequency of the orange signs and tape though, that was re-assuring.

Well done on your time too, had a quick gander at your computer output, impressive. Maybe something for me to aim for :lol: however, being a cyclist with a spinal cord injury and no working nerve supply to my lower legs I'm happy with my result at the moment, bar the obvious of course.

Cheers
  • vs
    The yellow signs are 'information' signs and show where the routes split
    Fair enough, Just saw some yellow signs and assumed they were the short course.
    Well done on your time too, had a quick gander at your computer output, impressive.
    Cheers, just wondering why it took me an hour to do the last 15 miles :wink:
  • bathpaul
    bathpaul Posts: 60
    Can't speak highly enough of this event.

Thought it was really well organised and was a really good route, shame about the headwind for the last 20 miles though!!

Will definitely be back next year and am looking at doing another of the events later in the year.
  • vs
    Cheers, just wondering why it took me an hour to do the last 15 miles Wink
    shame about the headwind for the last 20 miles though!!

Of course :oops:
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    I thought it was well sign posted but I did miss one turn as I took advantage of a rapid descent. It was a road with trees overhead and lack of sun light. I could hear a car behind and saw the reflection of its headlights on road signs ahead of me. I continued half a mile down the hill only to be overtaken by the car which was the race car trying to tell me that I had missed a turn towards the top of the hill! Fortunate that it was there!
  • 37monkey
    37monkey Posts: 141
    I agree completely with VS's op. I had a great day and got to ride with a few different people, but didn't get any names, I only wish I had spent less time eating cake! I missed a gold time by 7 mins :roll: but still put in a new pb :D
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    VS, you slaughtered that course - I'd love to do 170kms @ > 30km/h avg. We're you riding with a group? How was your time overall? Good ride.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • vs
    @FransJacques

Cheers mate.
    We're you riding with a group?

No. I rode 85 miles sharing the work with one other guy. Unfortunately I lost him and began to suffer into a strong headwind for the last 20 miles. He was 14 minutes faster at the end :oops:
    How was your time overall?

One late starter was also faster than me, assuming he did the full course.

So probably 3rd from 350ish 105 mile riders.