GPX file viewers for android phones

bike_monkey
bike_monkey Posts: 6
Hi All

I keep looking at all these great routes that different people have uploaded to the internet and I want to be able to get them on to my phone to use as a map for a ride. Ideally some sort of bike navigation or something. All the apps I find seem to record rather than view gpx files.

I'm using an HTC desire with android. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Comments

• spinndrift
    spinndrift Posts: 185
    We had a similar issue for our LEJOG ride and the only thing we could find was OsmAnd - it's not the best and in the end we went with a Garmin 800.
    Cheers

Andy
    Cyclist, Massage Therapist & Ice Cream Genius
    Andrew Creer Massage
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I load the gpx into google "my maps" and then use the "layers" menu in the google maps application to view the track. Or just open the url to the google maps from the "link"

With some gpx maps I had to hack the xml first however, so some messing about might be needed. This tended to happen with tracks over 50km long
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    vorsprung wrote:
    I load the gpx into google "my maps" and then use the "layers" menu in the google maps application to view the track. Or just open the url to the google maps from the "link"

With some gpx maps I had to hack the xml first however, so some messing about might be needed. This tended to happen with tracks over 50km long

Isn't a data signal still required for this? Could be a problem for some if it is.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    doyler78 wrote:
    [
    Isn't a data signal still required for this? Could be a problem for some if it is.
    If you actually save the gpx file onto your SD card no.

My Maps needs a data connection or wi-fi to download the visual map, but even without a map being visible the route will still show up, and you can follow it to a certain extent, but it won't navigate for you.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • doyler78
    Herbsman wrote:
    doyler78 wrote:
    [
    If you actually save the gpx file onto your SD card no.

My Maps needs a data connection or wi-fi to download the visual map, but even without a map being visible the route will still show up, and you can follow it to a certain extent, but it won't navigate for you.

As I said in that other thread it looks pretty limited in usefulness especially once you hit a town or city centre. You will spend more time looking at your phone than you will at the road - big problem.

Let's face it the solutions are just plain rubbish because there is no proper offline mapping and until that is sorted everything else is a very limited fudge.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    MM Tracker allows you to use your memory maps off an SD card. So that's OS in 1:25000 or 1:50000. There is some GPX functionality but I haven't tried it.
  • doyler78
    mr_si wrote:
    MM Tracker allows you to use your memory maps off an SD card. So that's OS in 1:25000 or 1:50000. There is some GPX functionality but I haven't tried it.

I notice on the MM website that they have been promising an android version of their mapping service for nearly a year now. Apparently they want it to be great, not rushed. The length of time it is taking to develop I'm expect one hell of a product :D
  • gordonb
    gordonb Posts: 17
    Maverick, no contest, I use it on my own HTC Desire. Create the track using the GPSies website (make sure you tick the "follow roads" option in track creator), download it, transfer it to the phone, drop it into the Maverick tracks folder, select it in Maverick and off you go. If you view the maps at home on a wireless network Maverick caches everything you view onto the SD card so zoom right in and out to make sure you capture all the detail. Alternatively, you can use Mobile Atlas Creator to generate offline maps you can store on the SD card. Unfortunately, MoAC have now been prevented from using OS, Google and Yahoo Maps but I managed to produce an almost complete 1:25000 map of the UK before this happened.

Buy the Pro version of Maverick, only about 4 quid and worth every penny.

Gordon