Winster Peak District - Any pointers

mcbainia
mcbainia Posts: 40
edited June 2011 in Routes
Afternoon,

I'm heading down to Winster in the Peak District in a couple of weeks and am looking for some good places to ride....Can anyone help me out ? Anything is considered although i'm taking my 12 year old son with me so it may have to me semi-tame.

I've had a look at Lee Quarry but it's a bit of a drive from Winster - something closer would be good.

Cheers,

Craig

Comments

• Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    Do a circuit of Carsington water not far away from you. Start from a place called Middleton top and follow the pennine trail eastwards then down to Carsington and round the resevoir and back up (steep hill) to start point.
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • tenchi
    tenchi Posts: 52
    Midshires way can be used to form a loop which may be suitable, but you may find most of the going on some of the bridlepaths and other routes a little demanding. How fit, and how capable is your son? The last thing you want to have on your day out is temper tantrum lol :-) I was out last week (walking) on the hills above Ladybower and when we started to get towards the bottom of Abbey bank I was getting very concerned about the screams and crying of a young girl in the distance!!!! Turns out her Mum was trying to get her to do a little excersise on the flat bits around the dam, the bike was nearly thrown in the water! :-)

Where are you intending starting from and what sort of terrain are you wanting to cycle on?
  • Tank-slapper
    Tank-slapper Posts: 968
    The Monsall Trail is now open between Bakewell and Chee Dale. The tunnels are great fun for kids.

There are some rough tracks across Bonsall Moor to the south of Winster and a grassy bridleway descends from Brightgate to the road between Winster and Wensley. It is not easy to follow though. Clough Lane descends from Birchover to Darley Bridge and is good but very rough on the steep bits.
  • mcbainia
    Thanks for the replies folks.

I am coming down on Sat the 2nd July for a week so i'll be out and about most days.

My son is quite fit and able - so much so he'll be leaving me behind....

I am bringing my own bike down but was looking to hire one for my son....I've had a google but not had any sucess with finding a hire place. Can anyone help ?

I also had a look at going to Cannock Chase for the day...although the hire shop is fully booked and dont have a hire bike for my boy....sods law.

Is Chase Trails worth the hour drive from Winster ? Is there another bike shop on route that anyone knows about ?

20 Questions !
  • mcbainia
    I never answered the question about terrain....anything goes really. I'd like a bit of DH but am happy with XC trails.
  • Tank-slapper
    Tank-slapper Posts: 968
    Try googling again, there are many hire places in Derbyshire: Middleton Top, Parsley Hay, Ladybower, Bakewell...