Northern Rock Cyclone Challenge - Parking

Ad Hynkel
Ad Hynkel Posts: 17
Doing the Cyclone Challenge and was wondering roughly what time the car park at the Falcons fills up...anyone any experience from last year? We were pretty late getting there last time so didn't even try getting in, that was probably around 9.

And a reminder if anyone is driving there for the first time, don't park on the immediate side roads/verges etc. as the council were pretty hot on ticketing.

Comments

• hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Think we got there around 0715 last year and got parked at the gound. I'm guessing you will need to be there well before 0800 to get a place at the ground as I suspect more people will be going early this year.
  • Ad Hynkel
    hugo15, thanks! Gonna be an early start then...
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    There is an overflow car park about 1.5 miles away which marshalls will help direct drivers, can well imagine it being mayhem trying to park at the ground after 7.30 considering the amount of entrants.
  • Leesykoi
    Leesykoi Posts: 338
    Hi Guys,

Little bit of local knowledge here......

The start of the ride is very close to two metro stations (Kingston Park and Bank Foot) so it may be a half decent idea to park somewhere like Regent Centre that has a big car-park and get the metro in to the start of the ride.

I know the parking gets absolutely chaotic near the start so this may be worth looking into for some of you visitors ?

If you are wondering why i don't know for certain it's because i live very very close to the start !!!

Best of luck with the parking and the ride(i'm really looking forward to it as my first sportive).

Lee.
    I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!
  • bluehelmet
    bluehelmet Posts: 156
    ^^ A fine idea except they don't allow bikes on the metro and the drivers won't move from the station until you get off IME. :(

http://www.nexus.org.uk/metro/guide-metro/Cycles

I too live very close to the start (a stones throw from the ground) but we've got my parents visiting their new grandson that weekend so can't offer anyone a free space.

And yes, the council are very hot about ticketing anyone parked on the surrounding roads...
  • Leesykoi
    Leesykoi Posts: 338
    Ooops sorry !!! btw what a ridiculous rule.....
    I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    Just park at the park and ride site and treat it as a warm up and down. I saw lines of cars being ticketed last year, its just not worth the hassle.

Fingers crossed for good weather!
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    jomoj wrote:
    Just park at the park and ride site and treat it as a warm up and down. I saw lines of cars being ticketed last year, its just not worth the hassle.

Fingers crossed for good weather!

That's what I did last year. There was loads of spaces and much more relaxed instead of the parking chaos at the ground. Because the ParknRide is just off the A1 junction, you will probably be in and out faster then those trying to get out of the ground, if you use the A1.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Ad Hynkel
    Thanks lads, that's great info. Good luck to all joining in. I'll be watching the forecast all week...
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    Ad Hynkel wrote:
    Thanks lads, that's great info. Good luck to all joining in. I'll be watching the forecast all week...

No need to watch the forecast the event this year coincides with The Hoppings, Wimbledon, and Glastonbury - grey skies and wet stuff guaranteed :(
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    and it's plate day

toon will be chocka with rough birds in frocks hoying up in shop doorways, can't wait
  • Buckled_Rims
    wiffachip wrote:
    and it's plate day

toon will be chocka with rough birds in frocks hoying up in shop doorways, can't wait

Arh! That's just great isn't it! 2 major sporting events within a few miles of each other at the same time - although the sportive is fairly early on in the morning.

Also, just in case you register for your timing chip on Friday night, last years wrist band irritated me no end, I finally ripped it off and glued it back on the next day. Also lost count how many people stared at it on the metro (I was in a tee-shirt) thinking I was a criminal being tagged :lol:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    i didn't realise that hoying up in shop doorways was now a major sport
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    wiffachip wrote:
    and it's plate day

sounds like business as usual to me.
  • Buckled_Rims
    wiffachip wrote:
    i didn't realise that hoying up in shop doorways was now a major sport

Of course it is! Never heard of a Spurtive?

:wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4