Strange noise from front brake

chrism85
chrism85 Posts: 7
edited June 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi everyone,

I got my first bike back in Jan (Boardman MTB team) and recently I've been hearing a noise from my front break (Avid Elixir R). The only way I can explain it is that it sounds like there's water in my fork swishing about. The break seems to work fine, as it did when I got my bike. Any suggestions as to what I should check?

Sorry if its a bit of a crap description, but its the only way I can really explain it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheer
Chris

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if it all works fine then dont do anything.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • chrism85
    Yeah, that makes sense. It's just not very comforting when I hear it.
    Forgive my newbieness (if there ever is such a word), what does it sound like when the pads have worn away?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Look at the pads and you'll see if they are worn.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It will probably sound like metal scraping on metal, not pleasant.

As for the water sound, why do you think it's coming from the brakes and not the forks? It could be the sound of the rebound/compression damping. Look at the manual on the SRAM/Rockshox site if you don't know what these are.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • chrism85
    I've only really noticed it when pressing down my front break. I'll have to try focus on what it is and work it out.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    chrism85 wrote:
    I've only really noticed it when pressing down my front break. I'll have to try focus on what it is and work it out.

so it is the fork working and nothing to do with the brake.

Like i said if it is all working fine dont worry.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown