Tired legs and sore joints

Lmj87
Lmj87 Posts: 7
I have been training like crazy recently and have been suffering cramp and discomfort in both legs, my calves especially. Does anyone have any tips for avoiding this so that I can keep training?

Thank you!

Comments

• shil2387
    shil2387 Posts: 3
    Hi there!

Are you a beginner? This is a common problem if you are over training and not warming down properly. It is also a sign that your muscles are strengthening, or that you are over working and causing small micro-tears in your calf muscles. You have to be careful if this is the case. Small micro-tears in the muscle can lead to scar tissue forming and irreparable fibrosis-the formation of fibrous tissue in the muscle body itself.

I am a triathlete and therefore go through periods of heavy training myself. For years I have used a handheld massager to massage the calf muscles and indeed any muscle which is tense or painful. It really helps and is a lovely treat when you get home from the cycle.

The massage increases the blood flow to the muscle which stimulates speedy repair and can loosen any stiffness that would cause problems later on in your training.

I hope that helps?
  • Lmj87
    I don't like the sound of these micro tears!!

A friend did actually suggest the same thing but I wouldn't know where to start and what I would be looking for. Would you recommend the one that you use? And if so where did you buy it? It is specifically for sports injury?

Also I do quite like the sound of having a massage. I could do with one right now!
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    You might benefit from foam rolling. Weighlifters use them and they get a lot of muscle microtears and adhesions. Cheap, painful yet strangely satisfying. Google it.
  • shil2387
    Sorry I should have recommended already. I use the iPamper massager which comes with its own DVD and manual to teach you exactly how to use for specific types of pain and injury.

Here's the link;

http://www.healththroughmassage.com/sho ... ual-1.html

I would definitely recommend this model. It has a heat setting to warm up the muscle so that it is less painful to massage and it has pretty quick and effective results. My wife uses it to massage her back-so it is also multi functional.

There is another smaller handheld massager on the website if you are not used to massage. I think that is called uPampie.
  • Lmj87
    Very interesting about the foam rolling! I have never heard of it before. Looks like I might be opting for the iPamper massager though, not that much more expensive than a roll of foam and looks easier to use too!

Do you have the uPampie massager? Which one would be better for massaging my legs?
  • Lmj87
    Have found the ideal leg massager!
    Hahaha, this will save me having to do it myself. Talk about personal masseuse in my own home!

http://www.healththroughmassage.com/sho ... eg--8.html
  • Dr Biker
    Dr Biker Posts: 1
    Shil2387 sounds like he knows what he is talking about. Massage has recently boomed in the sports industry. Everyone would have their own personal masseuse if they could. I try my best to squeeze in a visit to the massage therapists as often as I can when I have cramp or injuries and it works like magic. Only problem is that it does get expensive and quite time consuming; getting back and forth from appointments etc. I would be keen to try something out that could be done at home.

Could I also ask which one is better; the uPampie or the iPamper?
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    When you say you're getting cramp is it during exercise or after?

Are you eating and drinking properly pre/during/post ride?
  • shil2387
    Sorry for the late response.

I have found useful reviews on feedback for you so that you can make your mind up yourself.

This review is from: iPamper with Siew Allen's DVD & Manual of self-massage techniques (www.healththroughmassage.com)
    I was privileged to learn how to use the iPamper from Siew Allen in person and I can also recommend her very clear, detailed manual. The machine is easy to use and is certainly the best health related appliance I have ever bought. I use it frequently and I have had the same machine for a number of years so I can vouch for its reliability too.
    I'm a music examiner and as well as the i-Pamper being useful for everyday health, I find it wonderful to use it on my shoulders and arms after a day's examining in which I have been writing and playing the piano for several hours.

This review is from: uPampie handheld massager with Siew Allen's DVD and manual (www.healththroughmassage.com)
    The uPampie is a sleek and lightweight handheld massager with high and low oscillation settings. The unique contoured head allows the user to massage specific points and is particularly useful around joints and tight muscles.

Used with Siew Allen's DVD and manual of self-massage techniques, the uPampie is an easy to use and an effective handheld massager that is particularly popular with those who prefer to sit whilst massaging tight thigh or shoulder muscles.

Its lightweight and attractive design make it an ideal gift for those wishing to gain health benefits from regular massage.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/iPamper-Allens- ... roduct_top

http://www.amazon.co.uk/uPampie-handhel ... roduct_top
  • Lmj87
    Thank you for your help shil2387. I actually found it on amazon last night and ordered an iPamper. Looking forward to seeing the results!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Save your money.

Drink lots of water - start with a couple of litres a day if you're not used to it you will have to force it down but after a couple of weeks or so you will find your thirst reflex has returned and you will need it. Water can be retained by muscle fibres - think dried-up sponge vs wet sponge.

Supplement with a cold shower or cold water immersion after training. In the shower, it's enough to direct the water at your legs you don't have to stand under it same with a bath just get it as cold as you can.