Peak District regulars - Ladybower classic question

Coolnick
Coolnick Posts: 380
edited June 2011 in Routes
Just bought the VP MTB rides map for Peak District and fancy doing the 20k Ladybower classic route as an intro to Peaks. The route suggest going Whinstone Lee Tor way round anti-clockwise first but looking at most vids on youtube of bikers doing the loop they all go the opposite way descending through Nabs Wood and finish on the WLT back to Ladybower Inn.......which way round would you recommend or are both ways as good?

Cheers, Nick
Boardman HT Comp 2012>
Spesh Rockhopper 2004 - 2012

Comments

• ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    Clockwise is the way I always do it
  • altern_8
    altern_8 Posts: 1,562
    +1 for doing it clockwise,there would only be a small part from ladybower res up towards the woods below derwent edge you would have to push with bike,the rest is all rideable.

The descent from whinstone lee tor doing it anti-clockwise would be stop start as there are a few gates,and ive never actually seen anyone ride up nabbs wood,ive only ever seen ppl pushing there bikes up......from there you would have the climb up "the beast" or blackley hey to get to hope cross which again,ive only ever seen ppl pushing there bikes up,of course this is just imo.
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    if i'm on the right lines, the cutgate killer loop takes on some of the route backwards and I did that the other week and you just end up pushing up half of the ridiculous bits doing it anti-clockwise
  • Coolnick
    Coolnick Posts: 380
    This is basically the same route http://sillygrin.co.uk/routes/LadybowerClassicFig8.pdf
    so really need to be going opposite way then by sounds of it.[/url]
    Boardman HT Comp 2012>
    Spesh Rockhopper 2004 - 2012
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Done it both ways loads of times and clockwise is the best IMO Nabs Wood,or Suicide Brake as it's known locally,is best done down 8) Whinston Lee Tor is good either way but clock-wise again is better IMO.

A few routes in the VB book are the wrong way around.
    Coolnick wrote:
    This is basically the same route http://sillygrin.co.uk/routes/LadybowerClassicFig8.pdf
    so really need to be going opposite way then by sounds of it.[/url]
    Yup but go 5,6,4,3,2,1 :wink: