tubs v clinchers

stronginthesun
stronginthesun Posts: 433
edited June 2011 in Road beginners
i know the difference but what are the advantages of tubs over clinchers ?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    Many people say tubs 'ride' better. You can roll on a tub for longer when you get a puncture.

Finally, wheels that use tubs are often lighter.

The downside is that a puncture is expensive since you need to replace the tub rather than the inner tube.
  • Kona21
    Kona21 Posts: 107
    Lighter, cheaper to buy the wheels (not tyres) can pump them up to a higher pressure. The tyres are more aero. All these are only advantages in a racing environment
    Opera Super Leonardo
    Campag Super Record 11
    Corima Aero + wheels
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12777242
  • Many people say tubs 'ride' better. You can roll on a tub for longer when you get a puncture.

Finally, wheels that use tubs are often lighter.

The downside is that a puncture is expensive since you need to replace the tub rather than the inner tube.

No you don't

http://www.tubular-repairs.com/
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Even for the tubs they can repair it's still not exactly a cheap option and not many people can be bothered to learn it/do it themselves. I'd say the only real advantage these days (outside of a velodrome) are the weight savings.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Some tubs can't be repaired.

Personally - unless you're a very keen racer with money - I'd go with clinchers.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Tubs only take about 30 mins to repair so not a major problem(not at the roadside though!)

They are nice to ride and have advantages for racing but as an everyday tyre you would have to be very keen on them to justify it.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Ok, so the OP knows the difference between the 2, but I don't. Could someone enlighten me?
  • snickwell
    snickwell Posts: 72
    cadseen wrote:
    For ultimate performance in races you need tubs.
    If you for example have sent many thousands on all the best equipment for racing.
    Why put inferior wheels on it ..

Disagree.

For ultimate performance in races you need the best legs. How much advantage are tubs REALLY going to give you over a stronger rider?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    snickwell wrote:
    cadseen wrote:
    If you for example have sent many thousands on all the best equipment for racing.

Disagree.

For ultimate performance in races you need the best legs. How much advantage are tubs REALLY going to give you over a stronger rider?

Aaah, that old chestnut. What if you are the same strength as the other riders/are as trained as you can be at that particular time?

I'd take any advantage thanks. Although I'd probably draw the line at blood kept in a broken fridge.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    i know the difference but what are the advantages of tubs over clinchers ?

Tubs can be lighter and at a higher pressure (130-150psi) ride better than tyres. I rode clinchers in road races and tubs in tt's. Because in road races I had more possibility of getting a puncher from gritty deposits. In tt's I could chose my line.

You can get a feel for the difference when you ride folders and wired tyres.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    cadseen wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    snickwell wrote:
    cadseen wrote:

Disagree.

Aaah, that old chestnut. What if you are the same strength as the other riders/are as trained as you can be at that particular time?

I'd take any advantage thanks. Although I'd probably draw the line at blood kept in a broken fridge.

does that mean blood stored in a working fridge is ok :wink:

Yeah, should be ok but check with your Doctornamedafterasportscarmanufacturer first.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    cyco2 wrote:
    Tubs can be lighter and at a higher pressure (130-150psi) ride better than tyres.
    Ride better how? 150psi on the road, unless it's a motor racing circuit is going to give a harsh ride let alone slow you down. 150psi only has a place on a track IMO. I concede that the best tubs give a marginally better ride than the best clinchers but there's a pretty big overlap between the two these days.
  • nakita222
    nakita222 Posts: 341
    NapoleonD wrote:
    cadseen wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    snickwell wrote:
    cadseen wrote:

Disagree.

Yeah, should be ok but check with your Doctornamedafterasportscarmanufacturer first.

Ferrari or Lambourghini
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    nakita222 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    cadseen wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    snickwell wrote:
    cadseen wrote:

Disagree.

Ferrari or Lambourghini

Alfie Romeo
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I prefer to ride tubs for racing, even more so for road racing where road conditions means that you have to deal with potholes and debris in the middle of the bunch with little room for manoeuvre. I could recount countless times where people riding clinchers have flatted due to potholes / pinch punctures where I've smacked them hard with tubs and carried on regardless. For carbon wheels this is more critical - hit the edge of a carbon clincher rim hard and it'll break whereas there's no edge on a carbon rim to break. Likewise, you can roll on a flatted tub whereas a flat clincher gives very poor control. In terms of rolling resistance, tubeless is the best but the biggest factor is the smoothness of road surface.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..