Leading up to 77 miles, training?

fludey
fludey Posts: 384
Hi all hope someone can help or point me in the right direction.

I am doing a 77 mile ride in a week and a half and I have been doing a few 50 miles rides at weekends and shorter 15 mile rides in the week with 2 or 3 days a week off.

Should I keep riding right up to the event or should I take a couple of rest days prior to the event...or just do short low intensity rides to keep things moving?

Any advice would be great :D
Felt AR4
Planet X Pro Carbon 105
MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!

Comments

• Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Keep up the 50s (as you were doing building up to said event) this weekend, but widweek stick with the 15s. Take a rest for the two days as you mentioned before the big day.
  • ozzy1000
    ozzy1000 Posts: 73
    as above really, it not long to prepare so doing a normal work load and make sure you have a at least a few days to recover and fuel up. if you're comfortable doing 50 you'll be fine.. eat alot of pasta for a couple of days prior, then make sure eat start eating about 35 minutes into the ride itself, try and eat 25-30gms of carb every 30mins after that.. I might be wrong but my understanding is you can only really absorb 1gm of carb a minute so there's no point filling you belly to much, just nibble a gel or some flapjack or bannannas...

any ride over an hour or so can be transformed or ruined by how you eat...
  • procyclist
    procyclist Posts: 50
    fludey wrote:
    Should I keep riding right up to the event or should I take a couple of rest days prior to the event...or just do short low intensity rides to keep things moving?

Any advice would be great :D

Do NOT take a couple of days off before the ride, just do low intensity little ring rides. No harm at all in doing a 65-70 mile ride this weekend rather than your usual 50 - you'll find it a doddle.
    The 77 mile ride - if its a group/sportive type ride, don't be tempted to go at anything above your normal pace to start with - the temptation might be there to tear-arse it up if others are so inclined at the start, but you'll pay for it later.
    Don't forget to stick a can of WD40 in your back pocket, just in case
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    Thanks all, I have been experimenting with eating / gels on 50s and it does make a big diff if I leave it till too far in to the ride so will pack plenty along with high5 drink. Won't be tear arsing off as doing it with 3 others 2 of which have already said the aim is to finish not to race......although legs allowing the last 200m might be a sprint lol.
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!