Good Book For Holiday..?

gary.hounsome
gary.hounsome Posts: 296
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
Im off on holiday on wednesday, can anyone reccomend a good read? I do not have any cycling books as yet.

Comments

• thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    'The Rider' by Tim Krabb
  • The Escape Artist by Mat Seaton
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    dog in a hat - joe parkin

there are a few i've read that i hate, even though well written, but books are personal, so i'll refrain from slagging them off
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • yocto
    yocto Posts: 86
    The Bicycle Wheel by Jobst Brandt

It's what I took on my last holiday!
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Slaying the Badger - Richard Moore

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I was a bit disappointed by the Dr Hutch one on the World Hour record. It was interesting but a long way off the "hilarious read" promised on the cover. However, it was very informative on cycling history, easy to read, and a good insight into Hutch's personality and the kind of dedication it takes to take on that sort of challenge.

I am not sure if that is a recommendation or not!
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    Get David Millars new autobiography. Great read so far.
  • hagar123
    hagar123 Posts: 369
    Last years summer read

French Revolutions by Tim Moore

This years summer holiday read

How I won the yellow jumper by Ned Boulting
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    The Death of Marco Pantani by Matt Rendell. Very well researched and written.

A few chapters into David Millars autobiography and TBH not that impressed so far.....

If you're into fiction then anything by Lance Armstrong :wink:
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • About a school teacher who decides to cycle to India. If you have a kindle it's available as a free download.
    Some people are like slinkies - not much use for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

http://knownothingbozoandhisbike.blogspot.com/
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I read the man who cycled the world by mark beamont, was an interesting book, not from a particularly cycling point of view, but its an interesting take on the world from two wheels.
  • mikey2341
    mikey2341 Posts: 170
    The Marco Pantani book mentioned above is a great read, gives a good insight into Pantani and also the systematic drug abuse of italian cycling
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    +1 for the David Millar autobiography.

I also liked Cavs and Brads as well. But with me only getting into cycling 2/3 years ago I suppose I like reading the books on the people I watch race.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    In Search of Robert Millar - Richard Moore. Really good.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    danowat wrote:
    I read the man who cycled the world by mark beamont, was an interesting book, not from a particularly cycling point of view, but its an interesting take on the world from two wheels.

+1. I really enjoyed this.
  • Garryboy
    Garryboy Posts: 344
    Aggieboy wrote:
    In Search of Robert Millar - Richard Moore. Really good.

+1 great read. Theres is also a tv documentary about Robert Millar called the high life which is well worth watching if you can find it (try usual torrent sites)
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    The Bible
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    'We were young and carefree' Laurent Fignon Autobiography. Really, really good read.

And a little one in case you run out 'Breaking the Chain' Soigneur Willy Voet's story of the Festina drug scandal. Shocking insight.
  • +1 for "The Rider" by Tim Krabbe

(Also search this forum for 'cycling books' and you'll find lots more similar topics)
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    If holidaying in the UK i'd suggest 50 Rainy Day Activities.
  • Thanks for all the replies i'll take a look at them all, David Miller ones seems popular though!
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Rob Penn's 'It's all about the bike':

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Its-All-About-B ... 1846142628

[Edit - now in paperback]:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Its-All-About-B ... 0141043792

Simon Warren's '100 Greatest Cycling Climbs':

http://www.amazon.co.uk/100-Greatest-Cy ... 711231206/
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    The Escape Artist by Mat Seaton
    +1
  • corona
    corona Posts: 116
    Thanks for all the replies i'll take a look at them all, David Miller ones seems popular though!

You wont be dissapointed, I read it recently, my first cycling related book,a wee bit slow to start but when he starts pro racing a real eye opener.I had no idea of all the subtlelties of racing, really fascinating
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Personal thing books. I didn't like "The Rider" by Tim Krabbe, although Robert Penn's "It's All About The Bike" I really enjoyed. Cav's "Boy Racer" is actually a good read.

If you really want a book about bikes then "Zinn And The Art Of Road Bike Maintenance" is a cracking read :lol:
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...