skyline afan

400ben
400ben Posts: 5
edited June 2011 in Routes
im going to ride the skyline this weekend and i need some advice on what to take with me. can someone please help me :):D
Giant Talon 0!!!

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    400ben wrote:
    im going to ride the skyline this weekend and i need some advice on what to take with me. can someone please help me :):D

a bike and a helmet would be a good start :wink:

what do you mean what to take? food? kit? :D

it's like a normal ride only longer, this being wales and the weather here is crap at the moment a good waterproof, spare tubes and a repair kit, a pump, enough food and water to keep you going for the distance (depending on how fast you ride, up to 7 hours) a phone just in case of emergencies..... think that's it :D
  • 400ben
    400ben Posts: 5
    cheers mate :D
    Giant Talon 0!!!
  • Chronicbint
    Chronicbint Posts: 172
    Even going slow it shouldn't take more than 4-5 hours due to half of it being closed. :lol:
  • welshkev
    Even going slow it shouldn't take more than 4-5 hours due to half of it being closed. :lol:

you're absolutely right, however i'm basing this on a mte who somehow mangaed to get lost?!? he ended up having to ride back in the dark from the otherside of the valley somewhere i think :lol:
  • Chronicbint
    Chronicbint Posts: 172
    welshkev wrote:

you're absolutely right, however i'm basing this on a mte who somehow mangaed to get lost?!? he ended up having to ride back in the dark from the otherside of the valley somewhere i think :lol:

Awesome :lol:
  • ben110
    ben110 Posts: 54
    Is a great ride. and is not all that long really we did it back in april with no issues at all
    is a massive shame it is closing
  • turbo1397
    turbo1397 Posts: 39
    does anyone know when it is actually closing? i was meant to be coming down to ride it in july but plans have been changed and it will probably be september now.. :?
  • welshkev
    turbo1397 wrote:
    does anyone know when it is actually closing? i was meant to be coming down to ride it in july but plans have been changed and it will probably be september now.. :?

apparently not until next year now :?
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Afan Forest Park website is saying the whole of Skyline is open from 17/6 - can anybody confirm this?

Ta.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    And thats only if they get full planning permission on the farm..(which i hope they don't)

And Numb i think Afan forest Park are gonna know more than poor old us :)
  • wordnumb
    Nah, I reckon somebody who's ridden there recently is more up to date than Afan's website.

Seen what's happened to the Graveyard section of The Wall?
  • othello
    othello Posts: 577
    wordnumb wrote:
    Nah, I reckon somebody who's ridden there recently is more up to date than Afan's website.

Seen what's happened to the Graveyard section of The Wall?

What? I'm going this weekend and I thought the closures were weekdays only?
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • wordnumb
    Far as I know they are weekdays only.

And the changes to the Graveyard section are intentional.
  • Stanners79
    Stanners79 Posts: 81
    it looked like they were working on it a few weeks ago and if I had to guess, I'd say they were doing something by those big rocks?
    Orange P7 2007
    MOTM on first appearance 10/4/11
  • welshkev
    wordnumb wrote:
    Far as I know they are weekdays only.

And the changes to the Graveyard section are intentional.

i haven't ridden the wall for about 2 months, what have they done to graveyard? :?
  • Thewaylander
    Stanners79 wrote:
    it looked like they were working on it a few weeks ago and if I had to guess, I'd say they were doing something by those big rocks?

Please tell me there not taking out the onlytechnical section in Afan the big rocks in Graveyard :(
  • Stanners79
    Stanners79 Posts: 81
    if I had to guess, that's what I think they were doing. It seemed to me that there was a bit of a clearing off to the left of those rock steps. Maybe they're just putting an alternative line in?
    Orange P7 2007
    MOTM on first appearance 10/4/11
  • Thewaylander
    if it's an alternative line, thats great, i agree with options for different levels. But proper annoying if there getting rid of it :(
  • othello
    othello Posts: 577
    if it's an alternative line, thats great, i agree with options for different levels. But proper annoying if there getting rid of it :(

I rode it at the weekend and it is an alternative line. If you didn't know about the original line you could quite easily miss it though.

It was proper wet on Saturday at Afan, but Sunday... scorchio!
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • Thewaylander
    yeh Rode W2 sunday too, was bored the entire ride bar the 3 Dh sections of the wall rest sucks and is soo pedally and boring :(

Nice to see it was an alternative, but a bit of a shame the choice isn't clearer as went down the easy one and had to go back to look at the line to get you on to the real route :s