Glentress

andrewyzfr6
andrewyzfr6 Posts: 194
edited June 2011 in Routes
I was just wondering whats happening to the bike shop n cafe at the hub at Glentress with the new shop/cafe/super centre being there? I signed a petition months ago to keep Emma&Tracys business there.Just wondering if anyone knows whats happened as ive never seen anything in the press etc
2011 Orange 224 evo race
2009 Orange 5 pro
2008 Scott Scale 30
2002 S-works m5 fsr

Comments

• Bike Bloke
    Bike Bloke Posts: 172
    Sadly it is closing at the end of the year. The new centre opens very soon though. I will expect it's going to be pretty quiet...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Is the Hub bike shop going too? To be frank, the cafe was shite, but the bike shop seemed pretty good, with a decent range of useful stuff.
  • Bike Bloke
    Bike Bloke Posts: 172
    Sadly the whole lot is going, can't knock the cake at the cafe :)
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    I thought that it was a great cafe........real shame that it is going :(
  • Anonymous
    You're joking, right? We were there when it was practically a ghost town. and there was still not enough room for everyone to chill out and have some food.
  • Tom BB
    Nope?! It was really busy when I was there-plenty of room outside to eat......it was only a couple of weeks back-when we had the really hot weather. Food was very nice too.
  • trailpuppet
    trailpuppet Posts: 381
    Alpine Bikes opened their new bike shop a couple of weeks ago, had a look in on Tues. Not many people around.
  • andrewyzfr6
    Its a shame that the cafe and shop have to go as they appear to be very popular. And the food is VERY good and reasonbably priced. Bet the new super shop/cafe isnt so helpful/friendly/tasty. Myexperiance of alpine bikes is an expencive version of halfords.
    2011 Orange 224 evo race
    2009 Orange 5 pro
    2008 Scott Scale 30
    2002 S-works m5 fsr
  • trailpuppet
    trailpuppet Posts: 381
    Tom BB

Posted Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:45 pm
    I thought that it was a great cafe........real shame that it is going

Understanding is new leases are for 10 yrs. Alpine & co will have to re tender for the lease in the same way as everyone else when the time comes.Just as The Hub had to :!:
    Business is business and in the tendering game no-one should assume, become complacent that they will automatically retain any contract/lease.

I have cycled at GT in the years preceding 7Stanes and the Hub and have watched the Hub and mtbing grow. The Hub was good for many years especially in the beginning when Emma & Tracy were on the "till" etc. Unfortunately there was a downturn in quality(now reversed!! )for a few yrs and next to nothing done to "refresh" the buildings.
    They may have been better advised in the run up to the tender to have not aired their concerns and feeling in the various media ie forums such as this. Their "friends" would also have been better advised similarly. imo ofcourse :roll:
  • andrewyzfr6
    I know it was tendered for. But if alpine tendered, and as a result are paying a fortune over the next few years that will have to be recouped from their customers. All I can see from the cafe side anyway is mass produced muck at over the top prices compared to good value home made baked tatties,sandwiches and cakes that I have had there. I might be wrong tho.
    One of the advantages of the LBS feel of the hub shop is they will do minor repairs there and then, and if you buy for example a chain they would fit it there and then either free or for very low cost(obviously paying for the chain). If you arrive at alpine bikes, and ask to borrow a tool (no chance) or can you nip out to the front of the shop to fit it for me now(little chance)or pay a car garage like fitting charge when they have a chance to.
    I can only see cost for the cycalist going up hugely and servicegoing downhill.
    2011 Orange 224 evo race
    2009 Orange 5 pro
    2008 Scott Scale 30
    2002 S-works m5 fsr
  • Anonymous
    One of the advantages of the LBS feel of the hub shop is they will do minor repairs there and then, and if you buy for example a chain they would fit it there and then either free or for very low cost(obviously paying for the chain). If you arrive at alpine bikes, and ask to borrow a tool (no chance) or can you nip out to the front of the shop to fit it for me now(little chance)or pay a car garage like fitting charge when they have a chance to.
    I can only see cost for the cycalist going up hugely and servicegoing downhill.
    Is this actually happening now, or is it something you fear is/will be happening?
  • GhallTN6
    GhallTN6 Posts: 505
    Have to say that I wasn't very happy with Alpine bikes, all I asked them to do was tighten my cassette up, 30 second job, but they were far more concerned about putting hire bikes together and stood there chatting.

Massive big up to the bike shop at kirroughtree though, helped me there and then with a brake issue the next day after a small crash at Inners.
  • Anonymous
    That is depressing. The guys in the Hub shop were ace.
  • Tom BB
    Never went into the Hub shop.....the new one is toss. Think I spent about a minute in there and left. Sounds like the old one was much better :( Still, the trails more than make up for it-best riding I've ever done!
  • andrewyzfr6
    It is a fear, and i think a educated guess on what will happen, as alpine bikes will have big running costs those cost will have to be passed on. As the foresty commision own the site and lease it out. They should, as a public body, be thinking of the cost to the forest user as much as getting the most money in.
    A big chain store wont be interested in doing small running repairs like a LBS would as they dont have the personal touch, that sells me an item or helps out in an emergancy.
    I think the foresty commision has got it wrong with what they have done, and they could have saved a fortune.
    I have a 5-6 hour journey to Glentress and might get there 2-3 times a year, and i like it the way it is, as it appears to work well as the "Hub"and keeps the vast majority of mtb'ers happy.
    2011 Orange 224 evo race
    2009 Orange 5 pro
    2008 Scott Scale 30
    2002 S-works m5 fsr