Horizontal dropouts too tight?

birdy247
birdy247 Posts: 454
edited June 2011 in Workshop
Hi

I have a kinesis decade convert 2 and am using the horizontal dropouts provided. I have noticed however, that the wheel axel is very tight inside the dropouts. I am trying to pull the wheel back a little to tension the chain, but the wheel wont budge now.

Any ideas?

Comments

• trieste
    trieste Posts: 10
    This should help:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

I'd use the string to find out which side needed pulling on then give it a go as you only need it spread by a small amount.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what do you mean by tight? the axle is binding in the drop out slots or the drop out sides?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I expect that the axle is a snug fit in the drop-out, in which case, file the threads down a bit to create a flat section.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    If it is tight in the dropout (rather than the rear triangle being tight and squeezing the wheel) then I would file the dropout rather than the threads - it probably only needs a few strokes with a file to remove some paint and that should be plenty.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • birdy247
    birdy247 Posts: 454
    Ok, two bits of advice. One to file dropouts, other to file axle. Little bit confused as to which to try.

Thanks
  • satanas
    satanas Posts: 1,303
    First, check that the dropout slots are parallel, i.e., that they are not squashed together at the front. will the axle fit in at the rear of the dropout? You can test this by removing the wheel then pushing the end of the axle in from outside the frame. Check both sides.

If the dropout(s) are squashed (likely from the frame being dropped onto a hard surface) they will need to be bent back into shape; if a steel frame this can generally be done by using a large flat file and *CAREFULLY*(!) levering the front of the dropouts further apart. If the frame is alu/CF/etc it might be worth consulting your friendly LBS or framebuilder rather than snapping anything.

If the obstruction is only very minor and the frame and/or dropouts are new and the paint is too thickly applied then it may be enough to just file the paint back. I would not recommend filing the hub axle as this will just be creating another potential problem for later on.

If in doubt visit a decent bike shop or framebuilder before you break anything!