Cycling pain has gone from nice to horrible

Herbsman
Herbsman Posts: 2,029
I used to enjoy the pain in my legs, it used to feel really good, but lately it hurts in a different way, a way that feels bad and wrong, and makes me want to stop riding so hard. Has anyone else experienced this?
CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!

Comments

• MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Are you making sure you rest enough between rides? You may be pushing yourself too hard, and not allowing time for the muscle to properly recover and rebuild.
  • Herbsman
    Are you making sure you rest enough between rides? You may be pushing yourself too hard, and not allowing time for the muscle to properly recover and rebuild.
    I think so. I ride to work every weekday so can never have a full rest day during the week, but it's only a 10 mile round trip. The day after a race or a hard training ride I take it really easy on the commute, staying in the little ring. Every few weeks I'll have a full day off at the weekend.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    Every 3rd or 4th week Id recommend having an easy week with no hard training.

On your commute if you arent training hard then it should be at a very easy pace. Doing medium efforts and getting dragged into commuter racing may not be allowing your body to fully recover especially if doing twice a day. It could also be limiting your potential to put in hard efforts when you are doing hard training days.

If it is overtraining and you continue you could be looking at a long period to recover
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Sounds like you've grown to hate training hard. Happens to most of us.
  • Herbsman
    But I like it! Honest, guv. It just hurts bad instead of good
  • jocksyboy
    jocksyboy Posts: 135
    i would recommend a good sports massage
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    edited June 2011
    Theres nothing clever in continuing to cycle this way if your going to just grind yourself into the ground. If the pain your going through now is different, then there's obviously a problem. Take a few a days off, rest, eat and sleep. You need to train smarter otherwise this will become more of a issue and then you'll be really p*ssed off.

Not sure if your pain is being caused by overtraining, but you really dont want to go there as its rubbish. I used to do it a lot until until the penny dropped that all my training efforts were actually going backwards as my body (and brain) was just given up.

Give your legs a holiday and they'll come back stronger.
  • Herbsman
    Right - Short race on Sunday and short race on Tuesday (though 45 mile round trip to get to the circuit on Tues) Apart from that I'll chill out until the week after and I'll have the weekend off too.
  • ozzy1000_0
    ozzy1000_0 Posts: 144
    Herbsman wrote:
    Right - Short race on Sunday and short race on Tuesday (though 45 mile round trip to get to the circuit on Tues) Apart from that I'll chill out until the week after and I'll have the weekend off too.

I recently had a week with no cycling at all (we were staying on an island with no roads), I felt soooo much happier and faster when I got back :)
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    lef wrote:

An easy week every 3rd week - seriously? OTT IMHO.
    More problems but still living....
  • Herbsman
    ozzy1000_0 wrote:
    Herbsman wrote:

I recently had a week with no cycling at all (we were staying on an island with no roads), I felt soooo much happier and faster when I got back :)
    after the Tuesday race I've got nothing at all for two weeks :)
  • ozzy1000_0
    ozzy1000_0 Posts: 144
    amaferanga wrote:
    lef wrote:

i guess you pitch "easy" at your comfortable workload... one person easy and all that :) I have a tendancy to try abit too hard and ruin myself... so if i'm training for somthing i usually end up needing to back off a bit every 3 weeks or so
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    amaferanga wrote:
    lef wrote:

...every 4th week for me. the training programme is very structured, intensity is high and the rest is needed. I notice the following week I feel fresher and no noticeable loss of fitness and then ready for the next phase of training. On going results have been good.

Training programme is a Coggan one and his honest opinion is somewhat more credible.