Pain at front of hip/inner thigh

kfinlay
kfinlay Posts: 763
Wondered if anyone can help with this. I get a pain at the point where my leg and hip joint, at the front where my quad attaches to my hip. I also get a cramp type of pain on the muscle at my inner thigh - groin. They seem to be caused when I am sat back in the saddle and pushing hard up hills. Not nearly so bad if I'm sitting closer to the mid/front of the saddle. Not sure if I should maybe bring my saddle forward (it's already at the max going by the markers on the rails and I use a seatpin with very little setback) or maybe down to cleat position
TIA
Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum

Comments

• cabbage1879
    cabbage1879 Posts: 113
    Get youself a bit of string and a metal weight. Get a friend to help you and hold the string and weight from the front of the knee and see where the weight settles.

Obviously you should be wearing your shoes and the cranks should be in the 2.45 position ----.

Basically if your saddle is in the right position then the weight should settle over the axle of your pedals, if it's too far forward then move the saddle back, and if it's too far back then move it forward.

The cramping could be that your saddle is too low also.
  • procyclist
    procyclist Posts: 50
    Could be knob chafe
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    FWIW blaming the bike is an option, and yes, if you ride a lot the bike probably contributed to whatever condition you have. However, don't overlook overuse injuries and / or a part of your body sort of calling it quits or screaming at you to give it a break. Tendonitous and the like can attack at any time simply because that part of your body has had enough and it may or may not have anything to do with bike position.
  • kfinlay
    Cabbage, I know about the KOPS way of thinking but it doesn't work for me and isn't really an acurate way of fitting yourself to a bike IMO

Procyclist, 'wee kev' is just fine :wink:

Dennis, you could be right as I never had the problem so bad as recently although have had at least a niggling pain in the front of my hip for some time. The other strange thing is I don't get the pains on the turbo (I realise it's not the same as being out on the road). Will try to see how my position varies between the two or may try to raise the front of the bike when on the turbo to see it that throws up any clues.
    Kev

• Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    I had this problem last year, after I decided to change my saddle a week before I went on holiday (with the bike). After about an hour of climbing I'd get aches down my inner thigh and calf (but only on the left leg!) . My saddle was too low, so I was sitting further back to get more leverage, and that's when the pain would start. Once I'd raised my sadlle a few mm it was ok, as I was then sitting more forward in the saddle.
  • kfinlay
    Ands wrote:
    I had this problem last year, after I decided to change my saddle a week before I went on holiday (with the bike). After about an hour of climbing I'd get aches down my inner thigh and calf (but only on the left leg!) . My saddle was too low, so I was sitting further back to get more leverage, and that's when the pain would start. Once I'd raised my sadlle a few mm it was ok, as I was then sitting more forward in the saddle.

Teah I had thought about this due to sitting too far back but then I found that I'd forgot to put a wedge back under my insole in my shoe after drying them. refitted and no prblems at all yesterday,
    Yes I am a silly @r$e but it just shows what a wee bit change to your position can do.
    Kev

• mrwibble
    mrwibble Posts: 980
    you need to do some hip stability exercises to strengthen your hip muscles, any exercise that involves using weights on one leg only will help. Cyclists have weak hips